What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

E.Bienemy for HC

Like I just said, I heard him say it on his radio show the last time CU was searching. He specifically said it was his dream to coach CU. I remember that. He said he would take the job if offered in a heart beat.

Meh - it's easy to say that when you are sitting in the catbird seat.

If it's true that it is his dream job, I would think he'd be going out of his way to get it. Coaching Mullen High School and doing the Denver Broncos play-by-play isn't going to get it.

Meh - it's easy to say that when you are sitting in the catbird seat.

If it's true that it is his dream job, I would think he'd be going out of his way to get it. Coaching Mullen High School and doing the Denver Broncos play-by-play isn't going to get it.

I'm just saying what I remember hearing him say.

This Dave Logan stuff cracks me up. He must sit back in his chair and just laugh. I mean, he's got a CAKE JOB working at Mullen. Does he teach anything, or just coach? Then he spends a couple hours in the afternoon on KOA. Then he does the Broncos play-by-play.

Why on earth would he WANT the CU job?? It would almost certainly be a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT x 100 HARDER job than anything he is doing right now. I would imagine that for the amount of time he spends working now, versus the time he would have to spend as a college coach - and especially if he was only hired for an assistant coach type position -- it would be a fair pay CUT for him to come to CU.

Why on earth would he want that??

The only reason he would want that is if he really wants to coach at the collegiate level. I agree with you. I think it would be a huge step down for him to take an assistant job at CU. The thing is, he's nowhere near qualified to be the HC, which is apparently what he really wants to do.

As for what he does at Mullen - not much. He's a figurehead. He has a bunch of assistants (no rules against it at a private school, apparently), and he just paces the sidelines, barking at the officials all game long. I don't think he does very much, if any actual gameplanning or coaching. He does have a very loud voice, though. You don't have any problem hearing him.

Why is it that football fans almost always embrace the fiery emotional coach that does a lot of yelling, ranting and such. I have seen nothing to suggest that these types produce any better (or worse) results than coaches with different styles. Mike Singletary is the poster child for this type of overly intense, hard ***** type attitude yet his record sucks. That’s just one guy, but my point is that there are many paths to success when it comes to individual styles and personalities. So I don’t get why so many fans always focus on these traits and list them as huge positives, like the case here with EB. I can think of a long list of coaches with more of the calm cool demeanor who have produced phenomenal results.

Bill Cowher.

Im tellin Yall, this is the direction to go.

WE NEED ENERGY IN THE PROGRAM. PASSION. RECRUITING. all of your concerns of dealing with administration, and game type situations are not a big deal. EB will bring a great staff. and he isnt clueless on what being a coach is like

There is a very high ceiling for EB here in Boulder. I truly believe he can lure elite talent to Colorado. Question here is, who will he bring in as his OC, DC? That is the question imo.

I was back in Chicago when we beat Illinois in... '89? He was running wild and my boys back there were saying 'he really is the enemy'. I was laughing.

There is a very high ceiling for EB here in Boulder. I truly believe he can lure elite talent to Colorado. Question here is, who will he bring in as his OC, DC? That is the question imo.
Absolutely agree. Huge, huge upside to EB and if he can bring in solid a OC & DC then I think this could be a massive success.

Not a chance. If passion is all you need to be a head coach sign me up. The guy has never even been a coordinator, if you don't even know how to run an offense, how are you going to be a head coach. There are so many factors to deal with as a head coach. I don't want some guy learning how to be one for the next five years. They need a real head coach, Belotti is the best guy on the board IMO and they should be going after him full force. He knows the PAC-10, he ran a successful program at a very similar school, he can coach and recruit. Les Miles is a pipe dream, no reason whatsoever to leave a much better program at LSU, for a program that needs a lot of help and direction. We need new facilities, we need better coach contracts, the short term contracts are ridiculous and needs to be changed. They need to put more money into the program. They expect a first tier program with second rate money and effort. Frankly I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the heads there completely, like the president. Dan Hawkins is not a great coach, but he could have used a lot more help. And frankly I'm sick of the administration ****ing up what was a great program in the 90's. The first step is to get a coach that knows the wtf he is doing. I like Bienamy, but no way is he ready for a head coaching gig, this isn't whogivesa**** U. Belotti would be the first right move the administration has made in awhile.

But all that is moot if the university doesn't get it's act together and start putting more effort and money into the program. If they maintain the status quo. The next coach is going to fail like Hawkins did. Funny I remember saying something right before Hawkins was hired. And look how that came out.

Not a chance. If passion is all you need to be a head coach sign me up. The guy has never even been a coordinator, if you don't even know how to run an offense, how are you going to be a head coach. There are so many factors to deal with as a head coach. I don't want some guy learning how to be one for the next five years. They need a real head coach, Belotti is the best guy on the board IMO and they should be going after him full force. He knows the PAC-10, he ran a successful program at a very similar school, he can coach and recruit. Les Miles is a pipe dream, no reason whatsoever to leave a much better program at LSU, for a program that needs a lot of help and direction. We need new facilities, we need better coach contracts, the short term contracts are ridiculous and needs to be changed. They need to put more money into the program. They expect a first tier program with second rate money and effort. Frankly I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the heads there completely, like the president. Dan Hawkins is not a great coach, but he could have used a lot more help. And frankly I'm sick of the administration ****ing up what was a great program in the 90's. The first step is to get a coach that knows the wtf he is doing. I like Bienamy, but no way is he ready for a head coaching gig, this isn't whogivesa**** U. Belotti would be the first right move the administration has made in awhile.

But all that is moot if the university doesn't get it's act together and start putting more effort and money into the program. If they maintain the status quo. The next coach is going to fail like Hawkins did. Funny I remember saying something right before Hawkins was hired. And look how that came out.

Welcome rep...but disagree & am with Klatt 100% on this..."Belotti would be the worst hire in the history of CU, worse than Fairbanks, worse than Hawk"

Guy is used to Phil Knight, "whatever you need" $$$....he would have no idea what he's getting into at CU, probably less of an idea than Hawk had

Welcome rep...but disagree & am with Klatt 100% on this..."Belotti would be the worst hire in the history of CU, worse than Fairbanks, worse than Hawk"

Guy is used to Phil Knight, "whatever you need" $$$....he would have no idea what he's getting into at CU, probably less of an idea than Hawk had
I was originally thinking that Bellotti was my #1 choice, but the more I've thought about it lately, the more I've moved to fully agree with you that he is used to Knight & Nike fully funding his program and giving him anything he wanted/needed to succeed and that just isn't the case at CU. Might be a great HC, but not a fit for us.

Not all head coaches run the offense. A ton of D/O coordinator experience is not a necessity.

How about a little experience? He doesn't even have that. We have no idea how he would be as a coordinator, and people want to make him a head coach. What kind of system would he put in place? Does he know how to find players that fit his system? Does he know how to emphasize education and curriculum? Etc. Way too many question marks with him. I liked the guy as our running back, not sold on him as a coach at all. Bad idea all around at this point in time IMO.

Also, passion isn't necessarily a requirement with a head coach, and probably shouldn't be a major factor in a decision. Passion can backfire on guys especially on the sideline, because those types of coaches are down just as much as they are up. Tony Dungy was a very even keel guy, great coach, Bill Belichick, Tom Osborne: all cool collected side line generals. It would be great to find a Jimmy Johnson, passionate and great with the x's and o's. But for every Johnson there is a Jon Gruden (who I see is in the running according to some websites). And Jimmy Johnson's passion got him kicked out of Dallas, got him kicked off survivor as well. I'm just saying don't overlook a good coach because he doesn't seem to have as much volatility as Rex Ryan. We can get recruits to Boulder, we saw that in Hawkins first couple years. We just need a good coach who knows how to run a tight program. Bienamy is a huge gamble, much too large for this program to rest it's hopes on.

And again, it's all a moot point if the school doesn't start helping the program out.

Belotti has coached other places, and been the HC and coordinator at other places. He is the most successful coach in Ducks history, he helped make that program what it is today. He knows the pac-10, he knows how to recruit for the pac-10, knows the other schools, and started with a similar program. Oregan has Phil Knight money, but it doesn't mean he had a endless source of cash. He still had to work within a budget. Especially early in his career, they didn't have the monstrous budget they do today. In 2001 Oregon athletic department's budget was about 12 million, he started in 1995 so it was less than this. What was Oregon in 1995? No where near the stature of our program. Oregon's budget has soared to 75 million this year and has grown by 250% over ten years, income from donations and ticket sales has quadrupled over the past decade. A lot of that has to do with Belotti's guidance. Now I don't want us to become Oregon, they are spending crazy money and need to get a hold of it because it's getting out of control. We have one of the most recognizable and unique icons in sports. We also have the best colors in college football, I may be biased, but I think they are. There is no reason we can't get a national profile.

I was originally thinking that Bellotti was my #1 choice, but the more I've thought about it lately, the more I've moved to fully agree with you that he is used to Knight & Nike fully funding his program and giving him anything he wanted/needed to succeed and that just isn't the case at CU. Might be a great HC, but not a fit for us.

See above pretty much. But I think Belotti is a perfect fit, moreso than the other guys they are looking at. Maybe he would like the challenge. Bohn said he wants a coach with Big-12 roots, but I think that's a mistake. The pac-10 is an entirely different animal, we should be looking at a coach with Pac-10 roots. But in order to get a Belotti, the football culture needs to change at CU. The administration would have to get on board. I think Belotti is the perfect candidate to return us to prominence, he was there before, he could show the school how to do it.

I'm pretty much in total agreement with Chromeburn.

I'm putting the rest of you ****ers on "ignore" and listening only to Chromeburn henceforth.

A little rep goes your way, sir, and perhaps just one suggestion if I might be so bold. Paragraphs. Break those ideas up into separate, digestable morsels of yummy football goodness, and they should be more accessable to poor readers like Rugged.

I don't think Bellotti is interested in CU, and I don't want to hear any more excuses and negativity from him about how our facilities suck etc. I don't think that CU will hire Mac because Benson and Di Stephano will waffle under pressure not wanting the baggage that goes along with him from the facilty and also sports media types.

I think they will look to EB as sort of a middle ground best fit -- The alumni will be okay with it, and they know he can recruit, especially in Pac 12 country. I think there will be too much push back from the Boulder community, faculty and national sports media if Mac is hired again (Boulder and Faculty don't like his religious beliefs especially towards gay and lesbians and the sports media will think he's been out too long) -- while this should not influence the decision if you think it doesn't with Benson and Stephano you're crazy.

If Mac and/or EB are not involved in the hire when we clearly have a shot at either one then it will seriously piss off a lot of the donors. Unless Bohn can bring in a big time name like Miles then people will be lining up to see him fired. Hiring EB also will help improve CU's image from a place that's tough to be culturaly for a minority athlete by hiring a black coach. They know he will need some help so they have raised the amount allocated for assistants. This is why I think EB will be our next coach

If Mac and/or EB are not involved in the hire when we clearly have a shot at either one then it will seriously piss off a lot of the donors.

Donors? What donors? Per Mike Bohn, they do not exist, and that is the reason we cannot hire a bigtime coach.

Back