1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early Returns on the New Rules in College BB

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by J.R. Ewing, Nov 20, 2013.

1. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

From the Wallstreet Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...79209964142719146?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_sports

What say you college basketball fans. The numbers point to a more exciting game, but are you enjoying it more? There have been complaints that there are too many whistles, and the game has no flow. Will players adjust over time?

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It's a change for the better.

Players are going to adjust.

The biggest impact we have seen is that it has become much less likely for a team to pull an upset against an opponent that physically overmatches them. As a CU fan, that's now to our advantage against 90% of D1 so it's hard to complain.

3. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I would much rather watch an 80 - 78 game than a 45 - 43 game. I'm pretty confident that coaches will start to either open up the playbook or possibly design more plays. Should be interesting to see the differences come Feb/Mar. Don't be surprised if there are some unforeseen upsets when a sharp coach with a veteran and/or savvy team out-schemes a more talented squad.

4. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

I guess it depends on how you determine "more exciting" more scoring is generally more exciting but it's only up because of more FT's. Points per possession are exactly flat

From a KenPom Blog Post

One way to understand the changes is splitting possessions into field goals, free throws and turnovers. As the table below indicates, games this year have had two more free throw possessions per team and two fewer turnover possessions. The increased pace (possibly due to increased whistles) has added one field goal possession per game. That’s how you get an increase of four points per game.

2014 2013
    PossessionsPPPPossessionsPPP
    FGA-OR45.61.2144.51.21
    .475*FTA11.91.439.91.43
    TO13014.80

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

And scoring at the free throw line is decidedly boring. I hate all the fouls.

6. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

once the players adjsut i'll probably like it better but right now the whistles and stops are wrecking the flow of the game for me.

7. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

The rule changes in MBB this year remind me a lot of the changes the NHL enacted a few years ago. When it seemed like clutching and grabbing was giving less skilled players a chance to slow down faster and more talented players, the league made adjustments that were hard to watch at first, but now I am glad they were instituted. Matt Duschene would not be able to capitalize on his speed and skill today without the changes and I hope we can say the same thing next year about Jaron Hopkins for basketball, Hopkins is an athletic anomaly out there.

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

you talking bout super freak?

[tweet]403270879473192960[/tweet]

9. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Its a good move for the NCAA and it is the way basketball is meant to be played.

10. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

Yup, Hops going to make a lot of top play lists during his time at CU.

11. air-zona

air-zona Member

So far I love the rule changes, I was so sick of the amount of charges that were called. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a secondary post defender attempting to draw a charge.

12. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

It'll be good in the long run, but as usual its what the refs call vs. what they don't call that drives me nuts.

13. jgisland

Ditto, I like it in the long run. What I don't like right now is how offensive players are getting away with arm bars and push off's. The refs are so gun-shy to call an offensive foul (on anybody except fletcher that is) that offensive guys are getting away with a lot.

14. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It's making the game painful to watch for me. I dislike games where the referee dictates the pace of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Buffnik

What's getting me is that they're still letting players slide in and take a charge after the offensive player has started forward momentum to the hoop. I'm still even seeing the crap where the defensive player is set, the offensive player is going to miss him, and they let the defender throw a hip out to draw contact, fall down, and get the charge call.

16. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

If they want more points scored just do away with zone defense. Problem solved.

17. jgisland

Do you think we can get this passed by the time conference play rolls around?

18. jgisland

19. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

20. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Izzo is right. This is going to make players a lot more aggressive on offense. It won't necessarily add any scoring, though.

Yesterdays game against Harvard was almost bearable, though.

21. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Players are starting to figure out how to play with the new rules. it is getting better.

22. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I keep going back to this. It's a short term step back for a big leap forward. This season is going to be disjointed. But it'll be worth it next year.

23. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Now, if they'll just replace the "Dean Smith Memorial 35 second clock" and knock it down to the 30 seconds the women play with, it would be heaven.

24. jgisland

Going to link to a pachoops article that's pretty interesting and a solid read on how Jordan Adams has really transitioned his game and has taken advantage of the new rules/emphasis. Worth the read -

Darth Snow likes this.
  25. pachoops

pachoops PacHoops Blogger

The pushoffs. That's a great point. I have NO idea how to quantify it but anecdotally it feels like there's been a LOT of step back jumpers this season.

26. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

From a layman's point of view it has gotten better as the season has gone on. Credit to both players/coaches and officials. I was ready to rip my hair out the first couple of games becuase they were so unwatchable with the refs, but it seems a little more flowing now. I have nothing to back up my claim, just how it seems (disclosure, I watch very little CBB outside of CU till conference play time).

27. jgisland

28. Buffnik