What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Easy on the Tad Boyle love.

From people in this forum and members of the media, there is a lot of George Karl love going around and
the general consensus seems to be that he was a great hire. Yes we are having our best season in some
time, but this is also the most talented team weve had in a while. If our coach was was Bzdelik we would still be having a very good year, who knows maybe even better. Its also worth noting
that it was Bzdelik, and not Karl who put together this team. Yes karl seems like a good guy, yes I like his
up-tempo system, but lets see where we are at in a year or two before declaring him our savior.

fify :lol:

I guess it depends on what your definition of a "good year" really is. You seem to want to give Boyle little credit for the strides this team has made and some posters actually posted some compelling arguments, especially about rebounding. You seem to think anyone having the opinion that Boyle has gotten more out of this team than McClain or Bzdelik would have is stupid or something, but it is really not that far-fetched.

Im perfectly happy to give Boyle SOME credit. For the record I liked and still like the Boyle hire and perfer him to Bz or Mcclain or Dunlap. As you and others point out rebounding has improved (although were still 121 natioanlly) and this has been a factor in us having more wins. Some of this is coaching, but some is also experience. I just think that Boyle is getting too much credit for a team that was gift wrapped for him and will wait a year or two before declaring him a good hire. Based on talent alone, Joe Lunardi predicted that we would be one of the "first four out" before the season. Guess were we stand right now? The first four out. Its not like he has taken a team that was suppose to suck and made us great. Our record is more or less were people thought it would be.

Last edited:
A big difference between this year and last year is rebounding. Andre Roberson and Alec Burks (of late) have really stepped up in that department. Coach B (who I feel really helped the program) talked about rebounding but his actions showed he wasn't interested in rebounding. Last year every time our player's were shooting free throws our tallest players were back under our basket waiting for the other team to rebound instead of trying to get the rebound. I know you don't pick up many rebounds when your team is shooting but could we have one another game and made the NIT with some of the close games last year? That was very frustrating.

Im perfectly happy to give Boyle SOME credit. For the record I liked and still like the Boyle hire and perfer him to Bz or Mcclain or Dunlap. As you and others point out rebounding has improved (although were still 121 natioanlly) and this has been a factor in us having more wins. Some of this is coaching, but some is also experience. I just think that Boyle is getting too much credit for a team that was gift wrapped for him and will wait a year or two before declaring him a good hire. Based on talent alone, Joe Lunardi predicted that we would be one of the "first four out" before the season. Guess were we stand right now? The first four out. Its not like he has taken a team that was suppose to suck and made us great. Our record is more or less were people thought it would be.

Picked by the Big 12 coaches to finish 9th in the conference. Boyle's probably in the lead for Big 12 Coach of the Year right now.

I've had a lot of people say that they thought we'd be worse this year than last. You couldn't count on Levi being so much better. You couldn't count on being able to replace Thorne's outside shooting. You couldn't count on Austin's sophomore slump not being the real player, not the 4 or 5 games as a freshman in which he came on at the end of the year. You couldn't count on finding a replacement for the games that Crawford went off last year which resulted in some of the decent wins at the end of the year. Basically, people were saying that our outside shooting got worse and we didn't fix our rebounding issues with the frontcourt JUCOs Bzdelik said we needed.

Then we get to the season and... Throw in Shane going down for the year. Throw in Nate not being 100% pretty much the whole year (with Shannon still not fully recovered). You've now taken away the team's Center and Point Guard. We had to beat Texas with a 6 man rotation in the 2nd half.

This has been a very good coaching job so far. I'd give it a B+. Flame out to end the year, it would go down to a B- for me. Close out by winning the games we should and find another upset and it could go as high as an A for me.

it is not like we are talking about getting him a 40 year extension because he had a win versus Texas.

Here let me do what you are doing:

Imagine how good we would have been if Bz was not our coach. We would actually have big men that played in position. And our team would be tough down the stretch, not the finesse bullcrap that Bz taught them. Those closes losses would have all been wins.

Imagine how good we would have been if Bz was not our coach. We would actually have big men that played in position. And our team would be tough down the stretch, not the finesse bullcrap that Bz taught them. Those closes losses would have all been wins.

I dont get it. I havent written anything like that

it is not like we are talking about getting him a 40 year extension because he had a win versus Texas.

They did win 6 games in conference last year, and had some close losses as well. Weren't too far away from 8 or 9 wins. Regardless, if they lose tomorrow there won't be much 'Boyle Love.'

They did win 6 games in conference last year, and had some close losses as well. Weren't too far away from 8 or 9 wins. Regardless, if they lose tomorrow there won't be much 'Boyle Love.'

Thankyou. We were ok last year and we lost so many close games. A huge factor in the difference between last years record and this years is the ability to win close games. We have had 7 single digit wins this year and 4 single digit losses. Last year we had 3 single digit wins and 7 single digit losses. Sure, our coaching this year is better then last year but the biggest reason weve been able to pull out some of these games is experience.

Also, while weve had some great wins including ones against teams we couldnt beat last year, we have also lost to several teams we beat last year (oklahoma, nebraska, baylor, san fran, harvard).

Its really, REALLY hard not to. I don't think I can ever think of a time we've come back from 22 DOWN, much less 22 down against a top-5 ranked team.

RP teams would have mailed it in at the half and Bz wasn't here long enough to make a true impression.

Thankyou. We were ok last year and we lost so many close games. A huge factor in the difference between last years record and this years is the ability to win close games. We have had 7 single digit wins this year and 4 single digit losses. Last year we had 3 single digit wins and 7 single digit losses. Sure, our coaching this year is better then last year but the biggest reason weve been able to pull out some of these games is experience.

Also, while weve had some great wins including ones against teams we couldnt beat last year, we have also lost to several teams we beat last year (oklahoma, nebraska, baylor, san fran, harvard).

Boyle is just a more likable guy compared to Bzz. Even fans like me that were on his side while he was here weren't very sorry to see Bzz go. Some of the Boyle love has to do with this.

Shouldn't have all that experience you speak of kept this from happening or is it the coaching that caused it...? I can't figure it out. With that experience, shouldn't we have finished aTm and KU?

I get it; you are not overly impressed with the current coach, who you say is better than the last or the other options available at the time of said coaches hiring.

Personally, I am very pleased with Boyle. The style currently employed in Boulder is much more entertaining than what Bz was using. I think that we are on the right track with Boyle. Sure that could change, but I refuse to stand on the sideline hoping to find the moment that predicts eventual failure.

Is Boyle CU's John Wooden... hope so, probably not. Is he the basketball incarnation of D2D... hope not, don't think he is. Maybe he ends up being another Steve Lavin, has several runs in the NCAA and we boot him out after a losing season.

Who knows... let me be happy with CU basketball!

On the Boyle wagon currently, but for now I'm just going to drop in and stoke this fire by mentioning Mike Dunlap in connection with the season St. John's is having in the Big East with a new coaching staff. Discuss.

On the Boyle wagon currently, but for now I'm just going to drop in and stoke this fire by mentioning Mike Dunlap in connection with the season St. John's is having in the Big East with a new coaching staff. Discuss.

Yeah, he is doing a great job as the head coach isn't he.......... oh wait. :smile2:

It's definitely a resume booster for him. Most observers are giving Gene Keady a lot of the credit for helping out Lavin. I think Dunlap's a really good coach, though.

One game doesn't change my thoughts on Tad.

Damn does this one hurt, though.

Back