What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

EB taking lessons learned

HotRack

Rez BubbleHead
Club Member
In the Navy (at least the nuke community), when we screw something up we shut down work (on that particular system), critique the event to figure out where the root cause of the failure happened, determine the lessons learned, then set out on an upgrade program to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Yesterday, I think we saw in EB the results of maybe a similar critique from the past week.

No doubt getting his emotion on the sideline was key, but I saw two other changes - one on the field was obvious, the other I suspected but had it proved in a BDC writeup.

1) Obvious one: EB is changing things up to go with the talent he has rather than forcing the system on the players. Webb ran out of the shotgun (where he's comfortable) for most of the day yesterday. And look at the results - much more consistent play from him and then the amazing last 7 minutes.

2) The one from the article:
Bieniemy received some help with play calling suggestions from quarterbacks coach Rip Scherer in the press box. They pushed all the right buttons down the stretch guiding the Buffs back from 17 points down and capping the comeback with a stellar quarterback draw on fourth-down at the 4-yard line with 11 seconds on the game clock.
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_21610490...nergizes-cu-buffs-sideline?source=most_viewed

We talked about this happening on the board over the last week, more in terms of EB going to RB coach and Scherer taking over OC, but nonetheless I thought the play calling was much better in this game.

I probably just stated the obvious to you experts around here, but just something I noticed from my nuke POV.

Was EB even calling the plays? The few times I remember seeing EB on the sideline, I didn't see a clipboard.

Was EB even calling the plays? The few times I remember seeing EB on the sideline, I didn't see a clipboard.
He had a sheet in his hands the whole game and Rip in his ear, but it was hard to tell who was actually calling the plays. EB was ordering them in from the sidelines, but to what extent or how often Rip sent it down first is unknown.

EB was definitely calling the plays. He had his sheet with him all game and his head was buried in it everytime I saw the TV look towards the sideline. I am sure Rip was giving him some advice based on what he saw up top (which he should do as the assistant OC) but I am pretty sure EB was the one calling this one. Could be wrong but just my feeling.

Didn't feel like an EB called game. Seemed more like Rip was pushing the play calling. That being said, hopefully ya'll are right at EB learned from his mistakes and was calling the plays there.

Embree credited Bieniemy for playcalling in a post-game interview. Seemed like Rip was giving insight, Embree avoided meddling (unlike how our last HC would screw things up), and EB was making all the calls.

EB was definitely calling the plays. He had his sheet with him all game and his head was buried in it everytime I saw the TV look towards the sideline. I am sure Rip was giving him some advice based on what he saw up top (which he should do as the assistant OC) but I am pretty sure EB was the one calling this one. Could be wrong but just my feeling.

Pretty sure Rip provided a lot of insight

Well whatever it was it was working. For a lot of the game, the offense was showing good rhythm and balance. I don't really care who has what title.

Good, the staff is a team too. Shoulder to shoulder isnt just a saying, thats how we get back. Do it well enough, people will respond, the administration too.

I'd prefer we don't have another 50/14 pass/run play split at any point this season, but it's good to see changes.

What's a big lead? 17 points? They didn't take that lead until the beginning of the 4th quarter. We threw the ball the entire 3rd quarter.

They had a multiple score lead the whole 3rd quarter though and with this team, 14 points on the road is a big lead.

Well whatever it was it was working. For a lot of the game, the offense was showing good rhythm and balance. I don't really care who has what title.

Well said and completely agree. I don't care if somones title is, "Grand Poobah". As long as they have the right people pushing the right buttons, no complaints here.

Back