1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EB taking lessons learned

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by HotRack, Sep 23, 2012.

1. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

In the Navy (at least the nuke community), when we screw something up we shut down work (on that particular system), critique the event to figure out where the root cause of the failure happened, determine the lessons learned, then set out on an upgrade program to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Yesterday, I think we saw in EB the results of maybe a similar critique from the past week.

No doubt getting his emotion on the sideline was key, but I saw two other changes - one on the field was obvious, the other I suspected but had it proved in a BDC writeup.

1) Obvious one: EB is changing things up to go with the talent he has rather than forcing the system on the players. Webb ran out of the shotgun (where he's comfortable) for most of the day yesterday. And look at the results - much more consistent play from him and then the amazing last 7 minutes.

2) The one from the article:
    http://www.buffzone.com/ci_21610490...nergizes-cu-buffs-sideline?source=most_viewed

We talked about this happening on the board over the last week, more in terms of EB going to RB coach and Scherer taking over OC, but nonetheless I thought the play calling was much better in this game.

I probably just stated the obvious to you experts around here, but just something I noticed from my nuke POV.

2. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Was EB even calling the plays? The few times I remember seeing EB on the sideline, I didn't see a clipboard.

3. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

He had a sheet in his hands the whole game and Rip in his ear, but it was hard to tell who was actually calling the plays. EB was ordering them in from the sidelines, but to what extent or how often Rip sent it down first is unknown.

4. Ralphandler1

Ralphandler1 Member

EB was definitely calling the plays. He had his sheet with him all game and his head was buried in it everytime I saw the TV look towards the sideline. I am sure Rip was giving him some advice based on what he saw up top (which he should do as the assistant OC) but I am pretty sure EB was the one calling this one. Could be wrong but just my feeling.

5. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Didn't feel like an EB called game. Seemed more like Rip was pushing the play calling. That being said, hopefully ya'll are right at EB learned from his mistakes and was calling the plays there.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Embree credited Bieniemy for playcalling in a post-game interview. Seemed like Rip was giving insight, Embree avoided meddling (unlike how our last HC would screw things up), and EB was making all the calls.

7. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Pretty sure Rip provided a lot of insight

8. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Concur. I think Rip had a lot more to do with the win than the staff and media are indicating.

9. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Well whatever it was it was working. For a lot of the game, the offense was showing good rhythm and balance. I don't really care who has what title.

10. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Good, the staff is a team too. Shoulder to shoulder isnt just a saying, thats how we get back. Do it well enough, people will respond, the administration too.

11. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

I'd prefer we don't have another 50/14 pass/run play split at any point this season, but it's good to see changes.

12. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

The play calling split was necessary when Wazzu took that big lead.

13. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

What's a big lead? 17 points? They didn't take that lead until the beginning of the 4th quarter. We threw the ball the entire 3rd quarter.

14. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

They had a multiple score lead the whole 3rd quarter though and with this team, 14 points on the road is a big lead.

15. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Good thing running the ball doesn't score points.

16. SpoBuffalo

SpoBuffalo Member

Well said and completely agree. I don't care if somones title is, "Grand Poobah". As long as they have the right people pushing the right buttons, no complaints here.