1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eeeek - for you Civ guys - Civilization: Beyond Earth announced

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Apr 12, 2014.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

So, there once was a magnificent game designed once called Alpha Centauri. This game was, in a word, amazing.

Looks like Firaxis and 2K are releasing a spiritual successor to that game, and it uses the Civ 5 engine. I myself have put a shameful number of hours into Civ 5, and so this game has pre-order written all over it... something I don't normally do.

[video=youtube;v2grKk4Fv0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v2grKk4Fv0k[/video]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I pulled some info from a industry gaming site I frequent

2. dio

More info

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524177

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

They will screw it up. Which is impressive, considering updated graphics would make it the best game in years

4. dio

Rock Paper Shotgun hands on:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/21/hands-on-civilization-beyond-earth/

5. Darth Snow

dammit. I'm still addicted to EUIV...

6. dio

There is room for all.... unless you have a baby, then you get nothing.

7. dio

Just a few weeks now

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/26/civilization-beyond-earth-beta/

Darth Snow likes this.
  8. Darth Snow

splooge.

9. goalline

goalline Jedi Master Club Member

cool. I never played civ V because I spent way too many hours on prior versions, but this looks fun.

10. dio

Civ 5 gets a bad rap for atrocious AI, but I've played it more than any other iteration. It's a very good, even if flawed, game.

My biggest hope for this one is that the late game turns don't take forever. I have a beast of a machine, and it still can't process Civ5 late game turns efficiently.

11. dio

Comes out tomorrow (or later tonight, if you stay up)

Reviews are coming in.... looks like a 7/10 or 8/10 range. So far, what I'm reading is that it lacks a little character and polish, but that the gameplay is pretty good. I preordered and preloaded on Steam.... so I will get a few minutes with it tonight.

12. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Here is TB's review. I haven't watched it yet because it's an hour long but I love his reviews.

[video=youtube;IydX8R2xxe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IydX8R2xxe4[/video]

Darth Snow likes this.
  13. Darth Snow

excited. will wait for steam sale though. looks like more incremental improvement of what works, but with tweaked tech and factions to spice it up.

dply likes this.
  14. dio

I'm watching this, and it is right up my alley. Unfortunately, it does look a little dry. The interface isn't spectacular, they stripped down a few Civ5 systems, etc. As a Civ fanatic, this will work wonderful, but I won't sink the number of hours into it that I did/do into Civ5.

It wouldn't be out of line to expect a possible Civ6 next year, so hopefully they take some good from Beyond Earth. I hope that for Civ 6 they make the world itself a little more alive

15. dio

I only played about an 45 minutes tonight. I like it so far. The sense of exploration is there. It definitely feels like Civ5, but there are enough new mechanics that I'm already seeing (research web, goodie huts and excavation from the get go, aliens, full diplomacy from the start, quests, etc.) to really pique my interest. Pretty excited.

16. dio

Restarted twice before settling on this third game as I get the hang out of it. It has some deep flaws, but I still enjoy it immensely. A lot of the flaws stem from the fact that is is clearly closely related to Civ 5, and Civ 5 has been highly fleshed out with mods, expansions, and DLCs.... in that context Civ:BE seems a bit stale.

Good
    - The tech web is a blast. It allows you to develop in a very unique manner compared to your neighbors. It is essentially impossible to build all the wonders (I got to a point in Civ 5 where I could slingshot through and get about 80% of all the wonders, even on harder difficulties)

- Tile improvements. They've added many more options. Some provide basic upgrades to a tile, but require no maintenance. Other's provide a huge number of upgrades, but require significant maintenance. Other still provide unique changes - such as increased orbital range around the city

- Workers. No more work boats! A work can head into the water and improve water resources

Neutral/Intrigued/Needs Work
    - Outposts (think City States). These have an interesting mechanic where the outpost levels up and provides additional bonuses as you trade with them. Unfortunately, that is all they provide. They often land in plots where you were going to build a city, which is annoying... but they are interesting, just need more development

- Affinities. As you play, you build up affinities (Purity, Supremacy, Harmony). These are interesting, and your choices with affinities impact how your units upgrade. Unfortunately, they don't have enough diversity, and I would like to see these affinities play a much greater role on the world at large.

- Aliens. They are cool, but there aren't enough, and their behavior makes no sense. By the late game, they are merely a minor annoyance. Need to be developed more

- Orbital layer. Basically, you can launch satellites that provide certain bonus in an area of hexes. This is interesting, but in practice the satellites are kind of a PITA to manage. I would like to see Satellites given some love, but also see combat and functionality of the later expanded

- Favors. This is a diplomacy option where you can get things from the opponents for giving them money or resources or whatever. You can accumulate favors and use them as currency down the line. Unfortunately, the favors aren't worth much. Needs to be bugged

Bad
    - Trade. It is the exact same system as Civ5, except it is an absolute necessity. This means you end up with a ton of trade routes, with no way of automating. A majority of your turns are spent clicking 'Previous Route'. Very tedious

- AI. My god it's bad. Seems even worse then in Civ5. Last night a nation launched a sneak attack on me. Unfortunately, there are these tiles that contain a poison called Miamasa. The enemy sent a 7 unit army through this poison to my doorstep... by the time they arrrived the units were all 1/2 health. They milled around outside my city, getting killed my city attacks and my one garrisoned ranged unit.

- UX. My god the UX is horrible and bland. Hard to find useful information. Needs serious help

I've already downloaded mods that give unlimited xp for fighting aliens, and color code the tech web (super useful)

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game, because the Civ series is a recipe I love. I look forward to mods and expansions that flesh out this universe. I hope Civilization 6, which I expect next year, takes a few more chances however.

17. Darth Snow

On sale now along with the first expansion. I held out as long as I could.

18. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Might be time for me to finally get this. I love everything Civ.

19. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i guess i should give it another try-- i love civ but i bought beyond earth and played a few games and really thought it was clunky. the tech stuff is kinda cool, however.

20. dio

Yeah, I stopped playing shortly after my last post. I hear the expansion helps a lot

21. Jalapeno

Jalapeno registered user Club Member

Still trying to get all the Civ V DLC then I'll make the move with Civ: BE.