1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ejection for helmet to helmet hits

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by letsgoavs192, Mar 8, 2013.

1. letsgoavs192

letsgoavs192 Well-Known Member

http://grandstandgazette.com/2013/03/08/did-ncaa-take-the-helmet-to-helmet-rule-too-far/

Football is starting to suck.

The problem is and its an issue in the NFL too...they say a "defenseless receiver." Well if a guy is truly defenseless and you hit him in the head in a violent way that isn't necessary I don't have a problem with the penalty. The issue is refs are now calling a guy defenseless when he is actually in the process of catching the ball and a defender hits him. What else are you supposed to do? Let him catch it?

2. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

It sounds like they'll be reviewing all helmet to helmet penalties on the sideline before ejection. That's going to slow the game down too. Football is headed towards a fan backlash. Pro and college.

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

the problem, gentlemen, is the ****ing helmet.

4. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

put them all back in leather caps and I guarantee that helmet to helmet **** stops.

5. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

Couldn't agree more.

With the equipment now available, they feel invincible.

6. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

fify

Coachs need to return to the techniques of yesteryear, starting with peewee and HS ball, and teach that a helmet cannot be used for striking an opponent, helmet-to-helmet or otherwise.

Go watch a rugby Youtube on tackling technique, they don't use their heads to tackle or hit another player. Many of us here learned to play in the era when using your helmet for hitting another player anywhere on his body, was considered "spearing" and thus illegal.

Just stop leading with the helmet. That might actually lead to a return of real tackling and wouldn't lessen the game one bit. Frankly, I'm tired of all that crap of using the hlemet as a weapon!

7. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

these new "concussion helmets" or whatever are heaver than normal helmets and are doing more harm than good.

8. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

I like the rule in general. However, what I don't get is that while the "Ejection ruling" is reviewable, the 15 yard penalty is not. So what, they are going to throw the flag, assess 15 yards, eject the guy, review the play, say "oh, he wasn't targeting so ejection is overruled", but not overrule the 15 yard? Weird.
    Second, a NO-CALL is not reviewable either. So now that they obviously have the wherewithal to determine that a shot to the head was not deliberate, they can't go back and say one was???

side note - Thank Gawd Polk graduated.

9. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I think the review will be to differentiate between targeting and leading. Both are penalties, however, targeting should be an ejection.

10. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

I didn't think there was a difference with helmet-to-helmet

11. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Yeah, I'm sure Texas or tOSU or any of the SEC schools will have trouble filling up their 90k+ stadiums. :wow:

What else will consumers, I mean, fans watch?

12. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Good move.

13. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Perhaps a better answer is more toward mandating wrap-up tackles. The defender must attempt to wrap his arms around the ball carrier in making a tackle vice an impact blow to make a tackle. If you have to wrap-up, you are less likely to use the helmet as a weapon. Sure, it becomes official's judgement calls, but probably much better than the "defenseless" judgement calls.

Ball carriers get penalized for lowering the head.