What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Election Time

allbuffs

Administrator
Election Time

Adam Butler
www.PacHoops.com

With the question asked and then deferred to Spencer Dinwiddie by his coach Tad Boyle,

a grin grew on the mustached, junior’s face. He grinned, I imagine, because he flew

to San Francisco to say exactly what had just been tee’d up for him. The question was

deferred, I again imagine, because Boyle knew that seated next to him was his fearless

leader, the player holding the keys to their season. And so Spencer said it,

“But we don't view Arizona as the top, the cream, and everybody else in the rest. We

view ourselves as the cream and everybody else can fight for the rest of the spots. And

that's how we're going to approach the season.” It wasn’t brash and it wasn’t arrogant. To

Dinwiddie it was just a fact that quickly had the opportunity to make its way on to locker

room walls, the bulletin board material meant to serve Spencer Dinwiddie plates of crow

in arenas from Eugene to Tucson. And that very well may be what that becomes. He said

it and someone is going to take issue with it. I mean, he just called himself the cream of

the crop. People are going to want to knock him off that pedestal.

But that can’t matter. Because, and we’ve talked a lot about the big culture word, that’s

what has to happen to shift it. The Buffs aren’t far removed from Big-12 afterthoughts

and haven’t yet finished a Pac-12 regular season better than fifth. I’m a big believer in

theories like fake it ‘til you make it and perceptions become reality so I frankly love what

Dinwiddie has done here. He may have exposed himself and his team some, but now is

no the time for a team like Colorado to play the humble card. Now there is a time and

a place for both but on that day, and this season, Spencer could not wave the white flag

before the battle had begun.

I remember my high school baseball coach instilling a similar understanding. “As soon

as you begin to hope, you’ve already lost,” he’d yell at us. What it meant was, we needed

to believe that any time we set foot on the field – and it didn’t matter if we were playing

the New York Yankees or the local middle school – we intended to and expected to win.

After awhile, you believe it and it starts to work.

You begin to play against the game and not an opponent. Because the game doesn’t

change. Night in and night out the same factors to win a basketball game pertain to the

game before and the next one. Do those well and you’re going to give yourself a chance.

Wrap yourself up in everything else – like who is expected to win this, that or other – and

you’re well on your way to losing.

So I appreciate Dinwiddie saying what he said. He had to say because as Boyle

explained, it’s a misnomer that the Buffs are an experienced team. Sure there are four

starters returning but after that, it’s a whole lotta guys who need to figure out how to win;

to know that they need to win; to begin to believe that they will win.

“We’re going to try to win all of our games,” said Spencer Dinwiddie.

Sounds a lot like a guy who believes.

https://twitter.com/pachoopsab
https://twitter.com/PacHoops_Feeder

Vote early, vote often. The Mayor needs your support if he's going to put some more decorations into the rafters of the Keg this year.

If you put your fan hat on, this is a polarizing comment. But really it just signifies the culture shift Boyle has to implement.

Dinwiddie said it himself, "I'm going to say it and I think coach is thinking it."

If you put your fan hat on, this is a polarizing comment. But really it just signifies the culture shift Boyle has to implement.

Dinwiddie said it himself, "I'm going to say it and I think coach is thinking it."

Yep. It's that "take care of business" thing that's got to carry you in about 20 or so games. Teams can only get juiced for a limited number of games a year. The true elites don't even have to ratchet up the emotion until the Sweet 16 and a handful of statement games during the season (ex, all of Zona's 30-win campaigns).

Back