1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Football

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Jul 9, 2012.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

My older bro had one....

3. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Had one, and I think 6 different teams. The board is still at the folks house somewhere, but I can find the players.

4. FlaBuff

FlaBuff I drive a Dodge Stratus! Club Member

I had the 78 dallas-steelers as well. Bought the dolphins, then bought another field at a garage sale and got da bears and the vikings with it. I could never master that bootleg QB passing contraption.

5. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

I must have gotten one of the first ones made for Christmas in '60 or '61 ... well before they hooked up with the NFL. There were just two generic teams so you had to use your imagination.

There was an art to adjusting the little plastic tabs on the bases of the players to speed them up. If you bent them too much, it actually slowed them down IIRC.

Nevertheless, it was a technological improvement over "Foto-Electric Football" ... does anyone remember that game? Is anyone else that old? :huh:

6. InTheBuff

No, but I also had "ABC's Talking Monday Night Football"

[​IMG]

7. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Never had one but I could definetly think about buying something like that and using my imagination. Have some questions below:

Where would there be a good place to get that game board?

Where would I be able to go and buy the players and be able to paint them because suppose I want to have all Pac-12 teams?

8. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

We had an electric football game, but ours was a generic field and two generic teams. No NFL stuff at all.

We had the one with the magnetic "arm" that you could use to control one player on each team. Which basically meant instead of that player going off in totally random directions every play, that one guy would just go off in a sort of random direction most plays... :lol:

We also lost the footballs that went with the game. In my mind, the football in those games is supposed to be a pinto bean. Because that's what we always used...

9. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Had this game as well. Always wanted the electronic FB but never got it. The talking MNF was cool though.

10. Last

Last Member

This thread has a distinct smell.

11. InTheBuff

the board game
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALKING-abc...225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item22f92cbe99

very expensive :wow: why did I get rid of mine ?? :cry:

looks like you can get white base players to paint for a decent price here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Vi...240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab96a2d28

and the electric football field is priced under $19.00 here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tud...127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3378184f17

12. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I had a pretty nice one like the one above with the AFC and NFC end zones and the NFL logo in the middle. It was cool how you could order all the teams in both their white and colored jerseys, I think I had 4 of 5 teams. But it always looked much better than it played, I hated it when the guy with the ball would go the wrong way or a guy would just be out there going around in circles. :lol:

13. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

you know what sucked the worst about electric football? the footballs. they were these little crappy pieces of felt and they were freaking tiny and fragile. they barely resembled footballs. after a few games, kicking one of those sumbitches was like kicking a spitwad with a damp piece of string. and passing? forget it. flying veer offense FTMFW every time.

loved the noise of it! and the pageantry! setting up those plays and watching my RB go straight up the gut for 70 yards and a TD was epic.

did i mention i miss the wishbone?

:lol:

Idot Buff likes this.
  14. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

in my set, it was the cowboys and the broncos, as they had been in the super bowl the previous year. Loved the game, even though it was quite possibly the most useless toy ever. The players only moved if you cranked the current up so loud that your ears bled, and then all players just scattered. I loved how the directions actually thought that the "plays" they drew up would actually work.

Funny though, the mechanical QB you brought on when you wanted to pass sort of resembled Tim Tebow, in both throwing motion and accuracy.

15. OrangeBowl

OrangeBowl Club Member Club Member

My Grandmother picked one up at a garage sale when I was a kid.It was Broncos and Cowboys.Had more fun seeing the cat spooked by it than actually playing it.

16. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

hated that felt....

17. Last

Last Member

Because you guys are old.

18. b3buffs

b3buffs Club Member Club Member

Spent way too many hours on mine making up blocking combinations that I now realize were almost all illegal formations. Wish I were smart as a kid and ordered about 500 footballs for it as I spent more time looking for the footballs than I did playing.

19. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Club Member Club Member

256671_10150628501825131_405011_o.jpg

Yes that is a CU mouse pad