What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Elite Camp Thoughts

mattrob

Club Member
Club Member
OK, let me preface this post by saying that I completely understood, and agreed with, the rationale for moving the Elite Camp back to the middle of July to try to get more CA kids to attend. With that said, the news (or lack thereof) has me thinking we need to move the camp back ASAP.

The recruiting game has changed. With pressure on prospects to commit earlier and earlier, the talent pool is already starting to be thinned out by July. Also, the camp is so late, that there aren't nearly as many "undiscovered" talents out there. Most of the kids have already made the rounds on the camp circuit, attracting offers from, and building relationships with, other schools. Finally, the California kids still didn't attend. From what I've gathered, there weren't more than 2 or 3 out of state kids who had the coaches attention, and one of those (Liufao) has been committed for months. Again, so many of the kids have been hitting camps up and down the West Coast, so what's the incentive to spend the money to travel to Boulder for another camp at the end of a long summer? And to make matters worse, we didn't even have a big in-state turnout from the rising seniors. If we aren't going to see the California prospects, I would've at least liked to have seen Lisella, Golditch and Nowland battling for a scholarship offer.

I do like the San Diego camp, and would like to see the staff try to work out a reciprocal arrangement, at least as long as the NCAA allows it. Even if it's later in the summer, the shorter travel will draw a few more unknown prospects than a trip to Boulder will. And at the very least, it helps the staff's presence in SoCal. But as much as a disadvantage as the camps are becoming for a school like CU, I think we need to scrap the idea of drawing a big California turnout to the Elite Camp and focus on making it a solid regional event in the early summer. In either case, we won't increase the turnout until the on-field performance improves and, in that case, I don't think it matters when it is, prospects will find a way to be there.

I disagree.

The date of the camp makes sense. The issue is that we're not at a point where there are a ton of kids out there dreaming of getting a CU offer.

Keep the date, improve the on-field results, and we'll see this thing grow.

Patience.

I like the idea of using satelite campes for the out of state prospects and focusing the Boulder camp on getting quality instate kids and commits. At this point in time I believe that is a workable plan. 5 years from now when we are competing (praying...) then we can expect to pull more out of state kids to Boulder for the camp.

I like the idea of using satelite campes for the out of state prospects and focusing the Boulder camp on getting quality instate kids and commits. At this point in time I believe that is a workable plan. 5 years from now when we are competing (praying...) then we can expect to pull more out of state kids to Boulder for the camp.

I believe there are restrictions on hosting satellite camps. The recent one that our coaches worked was a Univ of San Diego camp, not a CU camp. Our coaches had to pay their own way.

I believe there are restrictions on hosting satellite camps. The recent one that our coaches worked was a Univ of San Diego camp, not a CU camp. Our coaches had to pay their own way.
Yes. Schiano used camps in Florida to raise Rutgers out of the mud in the early to mid 2000's. The NCAA then outlawed it.

I disagree.

The date of the camp makes sense. The issue is that we're not at a point where there are a ton of kids out there dreaming of getting a CU offer.

Keep the date, improve the on-field results, and we'll see this thing grow.

Patience.

I agree with this part, but even in the best case, how many kids are going to be hunting offers at the end of July? I don't know, I just don't see the recruiting cycle slowing down anytime soon. If anything, we'll see kids commit earlier and earlier. That's my biggest concern- a good chunk of the kids are already off the market before we even have our camp.

Back