1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elite: Dangerous - SPACE SIMS!

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Dec 16, 2014.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Space sim's a comin!

Been waiting for this to release, downloading now. Pretty excited, as space sims have all but disappeared for the past 10 - 15 years.

Anyone else playing? Should we try to get an Allbuffs group goin?

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

What???

3. dio

Space sims! This is a sequel to a series that came out like 15 - 20 years ago. Think Wing Commander, Privateer, etc.... if you played those. Also, totally open universe sandbox... not a guided MMO, but basically an online game in the vein of Eve, without the spreadhseets

[video=youtube;dwvjElmFCfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwvjElmFCfE[/video]

4. dio

I realize reading the Games forum that I have an unhealthy hobby. I should pickup golf and/or cigarettes, would probably save me money

5. Darth Snow

Looks awesome. No way do I have robe to play a mmo tho

6. dio

I hear ya, but it isn't really an MMO... it is kind of something else. More like a space sandbox where you might find other people. The whole universe is there, you can go anywhere... has 400 billion stars to visit or something. The expectation is that the playerbase will be pretty spreadout.

7. Darth Snow

took a closer look. Keep me updated Dio. I'm gonna let you die hards work on the launch (*cough* final beta *cough*)

8. dio

I played tonight, and man it's fun.

Didn't see another player, or if I did, I didn't know how to identify them. Spent a good 90 minutes trying to figure out the controls. If you ever played MS Flight Sim, then this has that level (or maybe just slightly less) of flying complication.... but add in trading, missions, exploration, mining, some geopolitics that you influence, and of course pew pew The game does a horrendous job of explaining how to do anything..... but something as simple as landing was really challenging and satisfying.

I think it will take a long while to figure everything out, but I can already see that the foundation of a great game is there. Sound effects and graphics are amazing, the flying is pretty fun, and I haven't even been able to try combat yet.

9. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Just saw your post about it. May have to look into this after the holidays. Looks pretty amazing.