What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree gets record-setting performance

Coach Embree made sure his Colorado team delivered a record-setting performance in the Fresno State 69-14 loss.

He gave the Mountain West a new record by allowing 55 points to be scored in the First Half.

He gave up Fresno State's 2nd-longest run from scrimmage. And that was CU's longest-ever run from scrimmage - 96-yards for a TD by little 5/7, 180-lb Robbie Rouse.

He gave up a 97-yard TD pass to Fresno.

He gave Fresno their first 4-INT game. (There was a 3-INT game in 1985, but no records could be found by press-time for a 4-INT game.)

Fresno State was able to get Embree's QBs to throw two of those INTs for returned TDs, too.

The Fresno Bee's article isn't very kind to Embree's team. "Colorado might be the worst, if not the most undisciplined, BCS program in the nation after drawing 11 penalties for 89 yards. But Fresno State hardly cared."

Fresno only has 65-players on their roster, and all played by the start of the 4th Quarter. Some were playing both offense and defense - Fresno State is too small of program to have Div-1 levels of manpower on the sidelines.

Embree still led his CU squad into Fresno to be overmanned and outcoached from the opening drive and beyond.

Ugh. I see that Colorado State lost to San Jose city college, by the way. CSU is 1-2 on the season, losing to one of the most pathetic NCAA programs ever, New Mexico State, and now San Jose State.

Embree still couldn't manage to beat the Rams, though.

When coaches start setting records for other teams... and when coaches are the 'only win' for other near-winless teams, this is NOT a recipe for any long term success. This is how programs get worse and worse. ONLY get worse and worse. The longer they dig, the deeper the hole gets.

I hate to keep track of the times that Embree's team becomes the only win for 1-win teams. That's another telltale sign of a bad coach. Setting records for other teams. And battling it out for cellar-dweller status.

I noticed the penalty problem that haunted us in the past has come right back again.
Who was it that said the team will improve as the season goes along?

FIM, I'm going to try to split the season into First Half/Second Half and see if that's a good way to view things. I'm uncertain what to think of abundance-of-penalties. Very few Miami and FlaState programs were good AND committing this quantity of penalties. But they were good on the field, and it was obvious. Bad-on-the-field plus penalties should be another huge red-flag about coaching caliber.

Since the '80s when I watched Lou Holtz give away Ark games to Texas and other diligent coach-watchings, I've never seen coaches that set other teams' records provide any good future for those programs. They only dug the holes deeper.

Ugh. I see that Colorado State lost to San Jose city college, by the way. CSU is 1-2 on the season, losing to one of the most pathetic NCAA programs ever, New Mexico State, and now San Jose State.

Embree still couldn't manage to beat the Rams, though.

When coaches start setting records for other teams... and when coaches are the 'only win' for other near-winless teams, this is NOT a recipe for any long term success. This is how programs get worse and worse. ONLY get worse and worse. The longer they dig, the deeper the hole gets.

i think you mean north Dakota state.

Back