1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embree is Colorado to the core

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by RSSBot, Feb 18, 2011.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

By Ted Miller

[​IMG]When you talk to new Colorado coach Jon Embree, two things stand out. First, as a former player and coach, his connection to the Buffaloes runs deep. Second, not unlike Colorado fans who feel a powerful affinity for the program -- those who remember the glory years under Bill McCartney -- the malaise of recent seasons eats at him on a visceral level.

Embree didn't negotiate the tricky coaching ladder just to become a head coach. He climbed it to become Colorado's head coach. As a competitor, he's always wanted to win, of course, whether he was at UCLA or the Kansas City Chiefs or the Washington Redskins. But Buffs fans should know this: Winning at Colorado is personal for Embree. Whatever he lacks in head-coaching experience, he may well make up for with a singular commitment to restoring football in Boulder.

"The plan was always to be back here," he said. "That was always the plan. This is the only job I've ever wanted."

There also may be an additional edge to Embree's drive to rebuild Colorado. Consider his résumé.

As a touted local recruit in 1983, he bought into what McCartney was selling and became an impact player as a true freshman tight end. In his final season, 1986, the Buffaloes overcame a 0-4 start to finish 6-6. Then it was off to a brief NFL career.

In 1991, he joined McCartney's staff as a volunteer assistant. In 1993, after a year as a high school assistant, he came back to Boulder with a full-time job, coaching tight ends, and he remained with the Buffaloes until 2002, sticking around to work for both Rick Neuheisel (1995-98) and Gary Barnett (1999-2002).

OK. This is boring. What's the point? Ah, glad you asked. Embree was in Boulder for 15 years as a player and coach from 1983-2002. What key years are missing? Correct: 1989 and 1990, when the Buffs won back-to-back Big Eight championships, went 22-2-1 and split the 1990 national title with Georgia Tech.

Embree signed with Colorado in 1983 because "I believed in the vision that Bill McCartney had for the program and where this place could go and how it could be special. It was really all Bill McCartney." And he experienced the highs and lows of a rebuilding program, including a 1-10 finish in 1984. But he wasn't there when Colorado reached the pinnacle, as a player or coach. Perhaps that's an itch that he'd like to scratch.

"I felt like we were always close," he said. "We were always right there. We were close. But we just couldn't get over the hump."

(Read full post)

Originally posted by ESPN.com - Pac-10 Blog
    Click here to view the article.

2. snakeyman

snakeyman Snake Charmer Club Member

Refreshing isn't it?

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Ted Miller is definitely off to a good start as a huge upgrade over the type of ESPN coverage we got from the Big 12 blog.

Really interesting read:

Embree believes a starting point is understanding what made the program great under McCartney.

"What he did is he gave us an identity," Embree said. "Who are we? What is Colorado football going to be known for? That is how he started laying that foundation."

That identity isn't an earth-shattering kaboom. It's fundamental football: Be physical, run the ball, stop the run, get the ball to playmakers and play good special teams.

"It's a real simple formula when you sit there and you hear it," he said. "OK, what's the big deal? But getting that done was not an easy task. ... Once [McCartney] got the mindset of the players in the program on how we have to win games, and why we do things a certain way, that's when it took off."

And when Embree talked to insiders both before and after he was hired, a lack of identity kept coming up.

"If you asked the players, 'What are the three plays we're going to run on offense if we have to get a first down?' They couldn't name one," Embree said. "The way we practice. The way we train. We had no identity. We just kind of showed up and played."

Traditions were lost. Players were griping. "A lot of guys didn't feel like it was true competition, that jobs were kind of given to guys," Embree said. The culture was negative.

4. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

I hope hawk never coaches at any level again...that guy is a ****ing cancer

5. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

I hope the corn hires him and gives him a 30 year contract.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Hawk absolutely was in over his head here. We lost to Montana State

7. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

8. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

fify for conference switch

9. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I effing hate Dan Hawkins. I don't have any idea whether Embree will turn this thing around or not, but damn, Hawkins was a horrible football coach. It's like he really didn't have the first idea of how the game was played. It was all lollipops and ponys. Lunchpails and horns out. Cinching it up and the little things. Or, as they say in Texas, all hat and no cattle.

11. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Loved the article and the comments. Our own Grundle Creatini was exchanging blows with the attention starved ducks fans.

My favorite:
    And a Bob Ross painting for good measure.
    [​IMG]

I prefer Albert Bierstadt myself.
    [​IMG]

12. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

So you're saying that the unicorn won't work any more?

13. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I think when Embree arrived, a 2000+ pound male Buffalo mounted the unicorn, did his business and gave the unicorn cab fare. There is only room for one horned creature at Colorado.

14. Clean Undies

Now there's a fark idea. Is the lovechild a Buffacorn or Uniffalo?

15. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

It would not have the word xxxx in it.

16. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I've always been partial to Alberto Vargas, myself. :pfft:

17. Clean Undies

CU's recruiting Uniffalo

Attached Files:

Burrito Palazzo likes this.
  18. Clean Undies

White Uniffalo.jpg
    The majestic Unicuffalo

Daaah and dply like this.
  19. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

20. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Looks more like a Bufficorn. People often mistake the two.

21. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

22. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

a reminder of the last 5 years photo.jpg