1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embree plays psychologist

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by dio, Sep 27, 2011.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Interest article in the post today:

2. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

"the comment on me was that I'm not a great route runner and I don't need to be covered very well because I'll probably drop the ball," Bahr said.

Ouch.

3. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

I gotta be honest. I laughed.

4. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

Good god, wtf do you think he said about certain members on special teams. That might have made my day.

5. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

It's weird. The article starts out by saying how talented they are and they need to believe in themselves and have confidence..... then it ends with a statement about Bahr about how he was told that he can't catch or run.... real confidence booster!

6. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

whatever works. I think parts of the team has underperformed, most notably the OL position.

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Bahr said Jon Embree emphasized that Saturday's Pac-12 opener against Washington State "is really the beginning of our season.
    "Guys are on board with that," Bahr said. "We believe there is a lot to still be accomplished."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_18987984#ixzz1ZBfM0bYe
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Man, is anybody else tired of hearing about how the conference season "is the beginning of the season"...it seems to me we've heard this for many years after seeing the Buffs...ahhh forget it.

EDIT: I guess I don't know whta else you would say when you have gone 1-3 in the OOC schedule, I guess I am just being impatient/frustrated.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Their post-game handshake was unusually long, this explains what they were talking about.

9. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I see it as one for Bahr, maybe it'll get him to work harder on it. This isnt little league, refreshing for guys to get some criticism. Best part is they have the chance to man up and do something about it.

10. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

yeah it seems like there's 3 missing paragraphs in the article.

11. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

That's assuming telling the players how much they suck is going to work.

12. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

Love it. I think when you hear that from your own coach, you tend to think that they're just pushing you, yeah coach said i need to work on my route running, but I'm playing quite a bit so I'm not THAT bad.

The opposition doesn't have a horse in the race, if they say you're a poor route runner, you're poor. If you're not driven to improve after hearing that from the opposition, you don't belong on a competitive field.

In that same vein, I'm sure there were also a lot of complimentary things going around too. One thing Embree stressed in his presser is that guys need to believe in themselves.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  13. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

My freshman year was 1986 and the Buffs went 0-4 in OOC play (including losing to CSU). I definitely remember Mac saying exactly the same thing. It's a longtime refrain from coaches with losses in the OOC schedule.

14. ParkerBuff98

ParkerBuff98 New Member

It's better than:

It came down to one play against a very good football team. They made the play and we didn't. I would have loved to have a win for seniors and the effort they put forth but I told them they can hold there heads up I was proud of them.

:bang:

15. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

I get the impression that was one of Embree's points in using this method. I don't disagree with what he did here. When you have an opposing coach tell you what they game planned against based upon film study of you, you get to understand what is good and what is bad without emotion, relationships, perceptions or anything else that gets in the way of a true evaluation. For Bahr... When you learn you are not a threat to the enemy, why engage on the battlefield...? Get better and engage the enemy.

From the article, I took it that Fickel thought what we have been voicing... the talent we do have is not performing on game day to their full capability and there are others that could be players if they put in a more effort and focus.

Embree is trying anything he can think of to change the team's mentality.

Side note ---The military evaluates plans by having a "red team" play the enemy, look at us in a critical way to help understand where the vulnerabilities are in the plan. I know we have a scout team that "plays" the opposing team, but do we have a crew that evaluates OUR film (from an opposing team point of view) to determine where we are vulnerable; or what aspects of our play are not a threat to an opposing team?

16. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Surprised that these two had a long conversation...I wouldve thought that Embo would be ticked at Fickell for trying to run up the score on us at the end...

17. RuffBuff

RuffBuff Club Member Club Member

it's the pac 12...it's division 1 football...

18. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

I like this approach and definitely a lot of truth to what he's trying to relay.....the trouble is as others have pointed out how difficult it is to change a players mentality when they've been engrained with the opposite for 3-5 years...Very difficult to believe in yourself overnight, but hopefully this team can respond in a positive manner by playing and then building off of a solid home showing this weekend

19. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but Fickell did anything but run up the score on our Buffs. OSU basically took a knee with 35 seconds to go on the 1 yard line. They could have easily added another 7 points to the score.

20. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

They were throwing when they could have run out the clock. But they needed to get the young qb reps.

21. NW Buff

Throwing was an attempt to avoid running up the score.

22. OUBuff

That is either... I see what you did there

or

You used the wrong font

23. NW Buff

My point was simply that throwing the ball couldn't be interpreted as trying to run up the score. For the most part, their passing game was really, really bad.

24. OUBuff

In that case, I see what you did there :smile2:

25. buffsblg

buffsblg Member

I appreciate that Embree took a rare opportunity to get another view of his team. Many coaches would be too arrogant to do this. Fickell could afford to be honest, as CU and OSU are not playing for the foreseeable future. If that enables Embree to have a different view of his kids, that must be helpful.

26. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I for one think this was a great move by Embree. He gave the players a chance to be evaluated by a professional from the opposing team just after the game. Very unique way to go about it.

27. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

They should have already known people think they suck.

-- I'm a Guy On A Buffalo --

28. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

OSU was hardly trying to run up the score. We kicked it onsides down 20 with like 2 minutes left, frankly they would have been justified to have punched it in on us for doing that.