What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree Presser Today

I have no problem saying that right now Bill Snyder is better at running a BCS football program than Jon Embree. Probably a lot better. I think Embo would say the same. Why even try to make a comparison like that? Snyder's one of the greatest ever and only a handful of guys coaching today are in his league.

just using the example of how he puts players in a position to not only compete, but possibly win. coaches need to take notes... you have four years to play these kids in most cases - utilize them where they can help

This is also his second go around at rebuilding that very program, he knows exactly what to do there. No doubt, he's one of the better coaches ever. The comparison between CU and KJuco is retarded.

My response... Quitters gonna quit + lack of talent + not buying into new coaching staff + coaching staff learning on the job/maybe coach just sucks. So ya, part of it is definitely Embree and co... but I don't think it is the majority of it, at least, not that you can tell yet.

Then sit them. We are already getting smoked. Doesn't matter much anymore. This was their bowl game and everyone sucked on all levels. The game was boring as hell to watch. I thought we had a chance going in and 2 out of 3 defensive plays later we were down 14 points.

2 out of 3.

Then the team gave up.

Things like burning a redshirt on Creer halfway through the season (sucks he got injured, but it happens) when he is your only power back that can move a pile is not how you establish a power running game. I do like Embree, but he needs to start acting like a real leader instead of calling out the seniors and others because they aren't. That's his problem. Don't air your dirty laundry in the press. You think recruiting is going to be easy with him throwing players under the bus in the media? Isn't that his specialty? He never had to deal with the media in this magnitude before so he was able to work his magic behind the scenes.

Now he's the face of the program and he's acting childish. If my boss acted like that I wouldn't want to work for him.

I am just growing really tired of all the excuses over the last 6 years now - it is always someone's fault coaches, players, recruiting, fans, school, the competition, uniforms, mom's, facilities

I am just growing really tired of all the excuses over the last 6 years now - it is always someone's fault coaches, players, recruiting, fans, school, the competition, uniforms, mom's, facilities

if it's not one of those, then what is it?

just using the example of how he puts players in a position to not only compete, but possibly win. coaches need to take notes... you have four years to play these kids in most cases - utilize them where they can help

Something to keep in mind with Snyder is that he was only gone for 3 seasons. Other than JUCOs, a lot of the seniors and 4th-year juniors when he came in were his recruits. Plus, the systems hadn't changed in his absence. It wasn't anywhere near the same situation as we have at CU. Snyder didn't have to change what he wanted to do in order to accommodate players that were recruited for a different system.

I think the better example to use for critiquing Embree would be Michigan. Hoke took over a program that had been gutted in order to change the roster for a different system and a different culture. While he did inherit a ton of talent (Rivals #12 class in '07, #10 in '08, #8 in '09, #20 in '10, and #21 in his '11 class), Hoke did have to make some adjustments based on having a running QB and less than ideal size at the speed positions.

Something to keep in mind with Snyder is that he was only gone for 3 seasons. Other than JUCOs, a lot of the seniors and 4th-year juniors when he came in were his recruits. Plus, the systems hadn't changed in his absence. It wasn't anywhere near the same situation as we have at CU. Snyder didn't have to change what he wanted to do in order to accommodate players that were recruited for a different system.

I think the better example to use for critiquing Embree would be Michigan. Hoke took over a program that had been gutted in order to change the roster for a different system and a different culture. While he did inherit a ton of talent (Rivals #12 class in '07, #10 in '08, #8 in '09, #20 in '10, and #21 in his '11 class), Hoke did have to make some adjustments based on having a running QB and less than ideal size at the speed positions.

Yeah, totally sucks having to make due with a Heisman candidate.

In other words, we can judge Embree from the very first game next year, right? :smile2:

i believe that math is roughly correct. the fact that 3/4th's of our players will be true frosh, rs-frosh, or sophs ought to be a sobering thought for all the kool-aid drinkers.

Then sit them. We are already getting smoked. Doesn't matter much anymore. This was their bowl game and everyone sucked on all levels. The game was boring as hell to watch. I thought we had a chance going in and 2 out of 3 defensive plays later we were down 14 points.

2 out of 3.

Then the team gave up.

Things like burning a redshirt on Creer halfway through the season (sucks he got injured, but it happens) when he is your only power back that can move a pile is not how you establish a power running game. I do like Embree, but he needs to start acting like a real leader instead of calling out the seniors and others because they aren't. That's his problem. Don't air your dirty laundry in the press. You think recruiting is going to be easy with him throwing players under the bus in the media? Isn't that his specialty? He never had to deal with the media in this magnitude before so he was able to work his magic behind the scenes.

Now he's the face of the program and he's acting childish. If my boss acted like that I wouldn't want to work for him.
Who has he thrown under the bus? He's never named names. At one point, he refused to name names. The play speaks for itself, and it's clearly not team wide.

In other words, we can judge Embree from the very first game next year, right? :smile2:

I have already started judging him.

I thought his most important jobs were to change the culture and turnover the roster. He has done well there.

As far as his public comments directed at our seniors, that doesn't bother me. It's not a message for the fans. It's a message directed at his underclassmen that enforces the culture of what is and isn't tolerated in this program. He's making sure that they don't see our seniors as leaders and he wants those seniors isolated from his team. (A few players are exceptions and he publicly praises those seniors.)

Next year, we better start 3-0 against a weak non-conference slate, win enough conference games to make a ****** bowl game, and be much more competitive in the games we lose.

We already hit rock bottom with Hawkins. Embree wasn't going to fix this magically overnight. There have been lots of coaches struggle early when rebuilding. It takes time especially changing the mindset of a team that accepts losing as they did under Hawkins.

We hit a figurative rock bottom with Hawk and his epic meltdown against KU... But the fact remains, we have struggled badly this year on the field and from a W/L perspective, rock bottom is this year. We aren't anywhere near as competitive as we were last year... And I'd argue that Hawk's first Bernard Jackson-led team could beat this 2011 team.

My point is not to lay all the blame at Embree's feet, but to point out that he's got an even bigger rebuilding challenge ahead of him than Stanford or Washington faced, IMO.

I have already started judging him.

I thought his most important jobs were to change the culture and turnover the roster. He has done well there.

As far as his public comments directed at our seniors, that doesn't bother me. It's not a message for the fans. It's a message directed at his underclassmen that enforces the culture of what is and isn't tolerated in this program. He's making sure that they don't see our seniors as leaders and he wants those seniors isolated from his team. (A few players are exceptions and he publicly praises those seniors.)

Next year, we better start 3-0 against a weak non-conference slate, win enough conference games to make a ****** bowl game, and be much more competitive in the games we lose.

what so hanson, speedy, and tclem? maybe espy?

Last edited:
i believe that math is roughly correct. the fact that 3/4th's of our players will be true frosh, rs-frosh, or sophs ought to be a sobering thought for all the kool-aid drinkers.

the sobering thing is that most of our seniors next year, are the heart of our defense. The class balance on this roster is a complete mess. After next year we will be without Rippy, Polk, Major, Kasa, Pericak, and Pugh. Need some young guys to step up big this next year

the sobering thing is that most of our seniors next year, are the heart of our defense. The class balance on this roster is a complete mess. After next year we will be without Rippy, Polk, Major, Kasa, Pericak, and Pugh. Need some young guys to step up big this next year

Huh???

Kasa and Pugh are part of the "heart of our defense".... learn something new every day.

Kasa is a tight end.

what so hansonm speedy, and tclem? maybe espy?

Pretty much. There are other guys like Sandersfeld, Poremba and Goldberg that have contributed and played hard with limited ability. He also liked Perkins a lot. Ahles is another guy who has done what he can.

Also... Our starting defensive backfield going into the season included Sandersfeld and Perkins. I heard that Sandersfeld ran a 4.8 forty during testing and Perkins ran a 5.0 (both used to be faster but have had injuries). But Brown and Embree stayed with them because they brought good senior leadership as Embree implemented culture. Besides, we had almost nothing behind them other than freshmen and some other guys that had to be suspended during the season because they weren't doing the things the new culture demanded. That, along with Poremba and Goldberg being put on scholarship and earning so many snaps while West was booted off the team, shows that Embree was trying to set a standard and use senior leadership where he could. Starting McCullough over our best WR until Clemons bought in is another example of this. Once Clemons had the lightbulb go on, we hardly saw McCullough any more.

Embree really does want a senior-dominated locker room. The fact is, he went out of his way to try to make it that way this year. Many of the key guys did not respond. A lot of the underclassmen he inherited were used to a culture at CU where everyone partied a ton and football wasn't taken as seriously as it should be. Many of them are no longer in the program or have been suspended. We have some absolute cancers in the program. Many of them are absolutely wonderful people, they just have no business being in a BCS football locker room. It's those guys that Embree is calling out because he wants the guys who come back to despise that attitude as much as he does.

:lol: I wont comment on the above but I needed a good laugh. I dont think Embree threw anybody under the bus like has been said in a few posts. I also think everybody involved with the program shares some blame for how things have gone. That said, I can tell you one person that should be thrown under the bus this year, our AD. Our schedule was a ****ing joke. Lets see, lack of talent, no byes, no depth, tough schedule, mentally challenged squad, first time head coach, first time coordinator, new conference. Did I miss anything? Thats begging for trouble. Not sure why the schedule was done that way, maybe some of you guys do, just saying it was a tall task for this group to handle.

:lol: I wont comment on the above but I needed a good laugh. I dont think Embree threw anybody under the bus like has been said in a few posts. I also think everybody involved with the program shares some blame for how things have gone. That said, I can tell you one person that should be thrown under the bus this year, our AD. Our schedule was a ****ing joke. Lets see, lack of talent, no byes, no depth, tough schedule, mentally challenged squad, first time head coach, first time coordinator, new conference. Did I miss anything? Thats begging for trouble. Not sure why the schedule was done that way, maybe some of you guys do, just saying it was a tall task for this group to handle.

$$$$$$$

CSU at a neutral site? Bigger payday (plus politics)
OSU in Columbus to fill the available 13th game? About 2 million reasons for that one
Cal remaining on the schedule as a non-conference opponent? Too expensive to cancel and too little money to be made by re-scheduling with a patsy when you've only got 5 games at Folsom for season ticket packages

I think all of those can be justified as there are real-world financial reasons for those decisions. But reasons/justifications do not excuse the decisions. The thinking comes from the wrong place. When the budget is the primary concern over winning and losing, you get what we have gotten recently. Winning drives revenue. Being a budget hawk doesn't drive wins.

With Bon-Bon, winning is a distant second to things like generating $$$, balancing the budget, being PC, playing politics and issuing mind numbing PR statements designed to be all things to all people. IMO, he is a politician, a manager and a cog in the machine, he is good at those things...he just isn't a leader, and he isn't about winning. If he can do those other things and a few wins fall out in the process...cool, if not, well he has his contract because he kept the PTB happy. Bohn takes care of Bohn.

About 6 years ago I dismissed a 2-10 record and a loss to Montana St as red flags believing that all the coach needed was to get his players in here (in another similarity there was already a QB on the roster that was supposed to make a huge difference the following year).

I am rooting as hard as anybody that Embree succeeds and I realize that I am holding Hawkins failures against him, but I am not going to dismiss the blowout losses as red flags especially when some of them are to pretty average teams.

$$$$$$$

CSU at a neutral site? Bigger payday (plus politics)
OSU in Columbus to fill the available 13th game? About 2 million reasons for that one
Cal remaining on the schedule as a non-conference opponent? Too expensive to cancel and too little money to be made by re-scheduling with a patsy when you've only got 5 games at Folsom for season ticket packages

I think all of those can be justified as there are real-world financial reasons for those decisions. But reasons/justifications do not excuse the decisions. The thinking comes from the wrong place. When the budget is the primary concern over winning and losing, you get what we have gotten recently. Winning drives revenue. Being a budget hawk doesn't drive wins.
Oh yeah I know money was a big reason, kinda took that as a given. We cant have just 5 games at Folsom tho, thats bs and should never happen. Hopefully it wont again anytime soon.

Dang Jimmy!! How do you really feel?? Your thoughts (true as they may be) would get you the boot from AZ's site even faster than me.

I don't beat around the bush.

If this was Barnett or Hawkins coaching this team like this I wonder what AZ would say about this year's team.

Back