What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree suspends five before Stanford visit

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Ted Miller

You've got to break some eggs to make an omelet. And sometimes a coach gives players the boot to establish the culture he wants.

It appears that Colorado coach Jon Embree is willing to sacrifice his team's present for its future, as he has indefinitely suspended five players from a defense that is already thin, particularly in the secondary, where four of the five play.

And that secondary faces Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck on Saturday. Luck is generally considered a capable passer.

The five suspended players, according to the Boulder Daily Camera: CB Parker Orms, CB Ayodeji Olatoye, CB Paul Vigo, CB Josh Moten and LB Liloa Nobriga. None of the players were listed as starters on this week's depth chart.

According to the Daily Camera, all five were notified of the decision Wednesday and the entire team was told during a post-practice team meeting. Further:
None of the problems that led to the suspensions involved the police, but the rules violations were serious enough that CU is expected to announce today that none of the five will play again this season.

Whether the players remain with the program beyond this season remains to be seen.​
It will be interesting to see how the Buffaloes react at Stanford. While these suspensions aren't devastating in terms of starting personnel, you'd guess each of these guys have relationships in the locker room with the guys left behind. That means there will be plenty of chatter, either for or against Embree's "my way or the end of my boot" methods.

The Daily Camera article is worth a read because it does a nice job of recalling Embree's prescient prediction of significant attrition last spring. I particularly like this quote:
"It's going to be hard because you have to go to class every day," [Embree] said in that spring interview. "It's going to be hard because you have to sit in the first three rows. I don't want your iPod on or your iPad or your laptop. I want you there, I want you prepared. I want you to have a pen, paper, book. I want you prepared and I want you to engage.

"It's going to be hard because of what you're going to do in the weight room and what's going to be demanded of you as a football player, how we expect you to study and prepare for the game. That's going to be hard for the guys because that requires consistency and discipline and they don't have that."​
While it's purely speculative to try to figure out what these five may have done to fall out of favor, if the police or NCAA isn't involved, then it's likely that they fell afoul of Embree's specific demands that perhaps didn't exist during the Dan Hawkins era. And Embree wants his players to know he takes those demands seriously.

Originally posted by ESPN.com - Pac-10 Blog
Click here to view the article.

Back