What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree talks Big 12, recruiting, home life

RSSBot

News Junkie
By David Ubben

Jon Embree played his college football at Colorado, and was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in 1987. Now, 23 years later, he left his post as the tight ends coach for the Washington Redskins to become the head coach at his alma mater.

Embree took some time out for ESPN.com earlier this week to talk about changes in style and recruiting heading into next year, as well as what he'll miss about the conference the program is leaving.

In part one earlier Wednesday, he discussed his first weeks on the job and the program's transition to the Pac-12, as well as his own transition to a head coaching role.

David Ubben: Outside of maybe finding it easier to recruit California -- at least in theory -- what are some aspects of this job that are getting ready to change? The program is changing, but what's the biggest couple things that will change for you with the move to the Pac-12?

JE: Well, really all the changes will come off the field. It's still football. I think people will be surprised around here that the conference we're going to is a great conference; there's a lot of diversity in offense and a lot of good skill players. It's going to be an exciting time for our athletic department and fans, but nothing will change as far as what you see on the field.

So you don't anticipate making any on-field changes or recruiting changes away from what Colorado has done in the past 15 years in the Big 12 because of the move?

JE: No. We're still going to recruit California, we've got to recruit Texas and we've got to recruit our own state and maybe go and dabble in Arizona and Louisiana like we have since 1983, I guess.

Obviously, barring a job change, you won't get a chance to coach in the Big 12. You played in the Big Eight, but what are you going to miss about the Big 12?

JE: I'll miss trips to Austin; I thought those were always fun trips. I'm going to miss going to Lincoln. That was always a great atmosphere. There's a lot of different things. I have a lot of memories in the conference because when I played in the Big Eight, and you go and you remember certain games and go to these stadiums and remember great moments in the history of the program, now we're obviously not going to those places. Certain memories and other things won't be coming back to you as readily as when we were in the conference.

Lastly, before you got this job, not many people outside of Colorado knew a whole lot about you. What are a few things people need to know about Jon Embree away from the field?

JE: Well, I enjoy my family. I love doing stuff with my kids as much as I can. Of course, they're older now, so they're going to try and beat me up in basketball now and stuff like that, but I like to golf. I really like to relax and hang out with my friends. I really do, and I'm kind of a homebody. I just like to chill, because when I'm doing my job, I'm into my job. I'm in it 100 percent. You've got to have a certain tunnel vision and a certain mindset to have success, and that's something I believe in. So when I'm out of it, I like to get away and relax and golf a little bit. I keep thinking maybe I can get Tiger Woods on the senior tour, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

Originally posted by ESPN.com - Big 12 Blog
Click here to view the article.

Back