What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree talks to Henderson

Embree is obviously very disappointed that it did not work out. I wouldn't judge him too harshly for what he says tonight.

This is another sign of Embree's inexperience. He shouldn't have spoken with anyone about what happened. Give himself a cooling off period, a time to collect his thoughts and assess what all has happened without the immediate emotional edge.

Embree is obviously very disappointed that it did not work out. I wouldn't judge him too harshly for what he says tonight.

This. The man just had his heart ripped out from him. I think we've all in moments of frustration said things we came to regret.

His tenure here did not go as any of us would have liked. But I am not gonna turn on Jon Embree. He's a great Buff and a good man, and I wish him well.

He won't ever man up to the disaster he continued to build at CU, because he is too conceded, ****y, and stuck up. All about self pride for him. I thank him for trying, but I'm sorry it wasn't working out and I agree with Bohn telling him the trajectory wasn't heading in the right direction. Better to do this now, this weekend, and not later, not later this week, not later over the next month, this needed to be done quick and now we can move on, hope for a better future and a quick turnaround on the hiring of the next coach. Our voices have been heard and this is our team. Our programs. Our pride.... and Embree can take the "race card" and chuck it out the window. B.S.

I don't blame Embree for being disappointed and angry, but it doesn't do anyone any good to throw out the race card like he did, especially when the results speak for themselves as to why he was released after his 2nd season

Yes, I still know that. JE is gone because he is 120/120. Like what Daaah said above. That is it. Believe what you like.

I don't believe that but I also don't believe buffedup's opinion that the average fans had a lot to do with it. As people have pointed out, this is a money game. There had to have been some pressure or at least some agreement with the people who move the real money around on this. Embree didn't do well but if they money brokers wanted him kept, he would have been kept. There are very few on this site who donate enough to move the needle and the rest of us will probably never know what went on behind closed doors (sounds like all of the little improvements we never saw behind the closed practice doors...).

Calm down, guys. On top of the fact that he is emotional right now, he was asked a stupid question to which he responded honestly. Because of the author, that quote made the story. Be pissed at the author/interviewer. It was a b.s. tactic during a very weak moment for the coach. I think Embree always did a good job with the media. After Monday morning this shouldn't be about Embree at all.

He said he didn't feel the trajectory was going in the right direction. I said what direction was it going when I got hired?"

In a bad trajectory, but not as bad as it is going now.

And Coach, the reason you got hired then is because your predecessor was fired then. If things got worse from that point (and there's no denying they did), that might be why your fate ended up being the same...

I think Embree should have declined this interview. It really signals to the issues with him as a head coach. Never got past the emotional. Could never make the good split second decisions.

Don't wanna dig through the whole thread (too late), but I am very glad the change was made.... nevertheless, I am sure this has already been rehashed a few times, but Embo is and will always be a great Buff, it didn't work out for him, but we should not say anything bad about the man. Didn't work out and changes have been made, but the man put his heart and soul into trying and I appreciate that. Best of luck Coach Embo! I wish you well.

So did uber infotainment hack Henderson ask Embree about how well Jordan Wynn can run the spread?

If anyone wants to cry "race" then look at Auburn, they fired a guy 2 years removed from a national title and he is white, why, because they value winning and being competitive and there was nothing to indicate that Chizik would be able to come close to the success of 2010. Unfortunately for Embree there were no signs that he could come close to winning and being competitive in the Pac 12 anytime soon.

Guys, I think we need to give Embree the benefit of the doubt on the "race card".

This could very well be exactly what coaches and players complain about when they say reporters take their comments out of context for a story and then the reporter says that he has the exact quote on tape. Makes the reporter look right and the coach/athlete silly.

But...

What if Henderson asked Embree a direct question about the race issue for black coaches?

It wouldn't have been Embree who brought up race in that case. In fact, his answer would be a very general one that is true -- black coaches do get too few opportunities, those opportunities are often for difficult situations, and very few black coaches have gotten a 2nd chance at a new place.

There's nothing inaccurate about that. For example, Karl Dorrell won about 55% of his games at UCLA, had a winning record in conference games, went to a bowl game all 5 years... and I never see his name brought up for job openings except for being a finalist for the Duke job before they went with Cutcliffe. Maybe people should be looking at him. It's not like he's doing a bad job in the NFL right now as Houston's QB Coach (Schaub is #9 is passer rating and that's the league's #10 pass offense).

He just lost his dream job. Relax and quit sounding self righteous.

Agreed. Embo is not in a good place right now. We should all thank him for his hard work and wish him luck. No need to bash a great Buff because it didn't work out.

Guys, I think we need to give Embree the benefit of the doubt on the "race card".

This could very well be exactly what coaches and players complain about when they say reporters take their comments out of context for a story and then the reporter says that he has the exact quote on tape. Makes the reporter look right and the coach/athlete silly.

But...

What if Henderson asked Embree a direct question about the race issue for black coaches?

It wouldn't have been Embree who brought up race in that case. In fact, his answer would be a very general one that is true -- black coaches do get too few opportunities, those opportunities are often for difficult situations, and very few black coaches have gotten a 2nd chance at a new place.

There's nothing inaccurate about that. For example, Karl Dorrell won about 55% of his games at UCLA, had a winning record in conference games, went to a bowl game all 5 years... and I never see his name brought up for job openings except for being a finalist for the Duke job before they went with Cutcliffe. Maybe people should be looking at him. It's not like he's doing a bad job in the NFL right now as Houston's QB Coach (Schaub is #9 is passer rating and that's the league's #10 pass offense).

This.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Henderson asked Embree directly and then Henderson framed the quote to make it seem like Embree said it out of the blue. Not to be a dick to Embree, but to be able to play up the race angle without sounding like the dick who brought it up. Even though we all know Henderson is a dick.

If he continues to ignore 120th-of-120-team issues, then he'll forever dig himself into a latrine of whiny diaper-wannabe's. His choice.

Back