What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree to make cuts after Spring

btbuff

It's an inside joke
Club Member
Per Kyle Ringo
Colorado coach Jon Embree says he will make cuts after spring ball. No word on who or how many
Embree says those who get from the program will be guys who aren't buying in or doing things right on and off the field

Pretty intense. Interesting to see what comes out I'm gonna bet people aren't going to be happy.

Per Kyle Ringo

Pretty intense. Interesting to see what comes out I'm gonna bet people aren't going to be happy.

Except the kids that remain.

Good long-term for the program not to mess around with kids that aren't committed, hope they can re-dedicate themselves at a new school.

Is he going to kick players off scholarship? Not only is that a horrible thing to do, won't it mess with the graduation rate.

I don't have a problem with this in principle. In practice, a lot can go wrong. Really depends on what the criteria is for cutting people.

Arent we gonna need all of the warm bodies we have with a 13 game no bye week schedule? And can you cut scholarship players? I guess so but it seems wierd.

Hmm. Is this a motivational tool or a true threat? I would think this could have ncaa repercussions. I mean, they are perfectly OK with Saban running kids, but they may not be so understanding with a rogue program like CU. :huh:

Hey, Jon, this isn't the nfl.

But being on scholarship is definitely a priveledge and I don't believe that kids on scholly are "entitled." But JE needs to tread lightly. I'm sure he knows this. As does Mike Bohn.

I have to admit, I had very mixed feelings when Bzdelic ran kids.

Last edited:
I bet this is more threat than anything... I don't expect many, if any, cuts.

Arent we gonna need all of the warm bodies we have with a 13 game no bye week schedule? And can you cut scholarship players? I guess so but it seems wierd.

Scholarships are 1-year contracts. He can decide that he won't renew some people at the end of the semester. It's pretty common at other programs for guys who aren't cutting it.

Scholarships are 1-year contracts. He can decide that he won't renew some people at the end of the semester. It's pretty common at other programs for guys who aren't cutting it.

Yeah, but the ncaa holds schools accountable for those one year contracts. A school cannot just get rid of kids, willy nilly, if they don't like them without paying a price. Thats why, if he cuts any kids, there will be few. And I don't necessarily buy into sacrificing a couple of kids just to make a point.

2 things,

A, JE has made it clear to the players that scholarships are year to year, buy in and do your job, nothing is guaranteed.

B, as JE said in his post practice comments, they guys getting cut aren't going to be surprised, they're getting cut because they've been warned multiple times and aren't doing what he expects.

These aren't guys that are getting cut because they are low on the totem pole or the staff can find better talent, they're getting cut because they aren't buying into the program. There's a big difference between cutting someone on talent and cutting someone because they aren't doing their job.

Earn your scholarship, repay the faith the school has in you by giving you a scholarship, or expect to get a boot in the ass.

Last edited:
I can see a cut or two just to make waves and establish authority. Hell, didn't he already cut a couple of players? Celestine and someone else?

I just listened to the comments in the Embree post-practice interview on Rivals.

- players have had since Dec 7th to show they want to be here
- guys have been told the expectations
- those not meeting expectations have been warned
- it's all about effort, showing up on time, fulfilling responsibilities, and acting like you want to be there
- players who are in jeopardy have been repeatedly warned and had what's expected explained to them
- no one who gets cut will be surprised

I just listened to the comments in the Embree post-practice interview on Rivals.

- it's all about effort, showing up on time, fulfilling responsibilities, and acting like you want to be there
- players who are in jeopardy have been repeatedly warned and had what's expected explained to them

Precisely. I got the sense that the guys who would be leaving are guys who have shown that they do not want to be here and are not responding to the new staff. Not a situation like some of these schools who oversign and then cut the least talented kids.

OK, since he puts it that way........ J/K. I can buy into that. I think it is tougher and tougher, in this day and age, for coaches/educators to get their values across to 18 to 22 year old kids.

Think the key distinction is it's not really a "cut" based on talent levels....but everything else he's laid the standards for (work ethic, showing up on time and prepared, getting it done in the classroom, being a good teammate, no off field buffoonery).....so "cut" may be a bad word, more of "you're fired" for not doing your job/what you're on scholarship for

So how does this affect our graduation and academic situations? Does this help with grades (rpi? I know thats not right) because we cut slackers off of the roles? Do their grades still count?

Back