What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree's debut was better than Hawk or Barnett

Who gives a sh*t. They lost, period. I'm supposed to be impressed because they looked better getting their asses kicked by a WAC team then past CU teams did?

At least it looked like they had fun out there, I guess that's what's really importaint. Whose bringing the orange slices for the team at halftime this saturday?

Did I say be impressed? I just noted we had worse debuts from other coaches.

Embree doesn't have much to work with.

Did I say be impressed? I just noted we had worse debuts from other coaches.

Embree doesn't have much to work with.

You may not have said it but that was the impication. "Hey we sucked but these other teams sucked worse so we should take this as a positive."

And Embree has plenty to work with. They won 5 games last year and would have been 8 if they could hold on to late game leads. There are several very good players on this team and they have what 26 seniors? I'm not saying they should go and win the conference but lets not pretend like Embree's going to battle with a bunch of middle schoolers either.

You may not have said it but that was the impication. "Hey we sucked but these other teams sucked worse so we should take this as a positive."

And Embree has plenty to work with. They won 5 games last year and would have been 8 if they could hold on to late game leads. There are several very good players on this team and they have what 26 seniors? I'm not saying they should go and win the conference but lets not pretend like Embree's going to battle with a bunch of middle schoolers either.

They also had two first round draft picks on the team last year. There is not much to work with.

I do find it amusing someone actually thinks I'm an apologist now. I've come FULL CIRCLE from my days of wrecking havoc on a weekly basis.

They also had two first round draft picks on the team last year. There is not much to work with.

I do find it amusing someone actually thinks I'm an apologist now. I've come FULL CIRCLE from my days of wrecking havoc on a weekly basis.

I'm cracking up over here. :lol:

I thought the same thing. CU was in the game until mid-way through the fourth quarter. New coaching transitions are always rough. 10 of the last 11 first-time coaches lost their first games at CU, and that goes back to 1948..

Last edited:
Makes me feel a lot better that Embree's debut was better than Hawk and Barnett.

I guess I don't have the bar set as high as you. I'd give my left nut to get blown out in a CCG after what we have experienced for the last 5 years and likely at least a few more. I can't even see a bowl game in our foreseeable future with such an inept offense. Those days seem pretty damn good to me right now.

AMEN!!! I have been saying this same exact thing. Everyone always downplays our Big 12 North titles and I just don't get it. Sure we would love to win the CCG but jesus, can't win it unless we are in it! And at least GB got us there.

A loss is a loss. We were within 7 at one point, but we lost by more than 2 possessions at the end. That's all anyone will remember.

How did Hawk and Barney do after their first loss? I think Hawk lost to CSU.

Hawkins lost his opener to Montana State, 19-10.
He followed that up with a loss to Colorado State, 14-10.

Barnett lost his opener to Colorado State, 41-14.
He followed that up with a win against San Jose State, 63-35.

McCartney lost his opener to California, 31-17.
He followed that up with a win against Washington State, 12-0.

You don't necessarily need wins to recruit well. Washington was terrible and what Sarkisian did there was amazing. We need to shoot for that

Yep.... now that Sark has HIS GUYS in there, they are amazing and rolling teams like EWU at home... oh wait.

Yes. Much Better. McCartney's first game was a 31-17 loss to a bad California team in Boulder. Cal was not as good as Hawaii and the game was at home.

I went back to 1948 and confirmed that 10 of the last 11 CU coaches lost their first game and some of them were every bit as bad as Barnett's 14-41 debacle..
As first games go, this was one of our better ones.. Now, that's not to say this means we're going to start winning soon.

Nobody is saying you or anyone else should be impressed. Just putting things into perspective.. Can't judge a first-time coach in first game. 10 out of the last 11 CU coaches lost their first game and many of them to worse opponents at home. That record goes back to 1948.. 10 out of 11. It's not about moral victories, it's realizing that all hope is not lost.

I remember Barnett's teams being notoriously slow starters, I really want to say his teams might have been .500 on opening games? (thanks wikipedia, he was 3-4 on openers.)

I remember Barnett's teams being notoriously slow starters, I really want to say his teams might have been .500 on opening games? (thanks wikipedia, he was 3-4 on openers.)

Barnetts teams seemed to do better later in the season. His slow starts cost us a trip to the national championship.

Back