What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree's post game comments

Just want to make sure that I understand this. We complain about five years of Coach Hawkins because he didn't show enough emotion and you couldn't beat a straight, honest answer out of him. Now we complain about Embree because he shows emotion and provides straight, honest answers? Obviously I understand there is a happy median, and hopefully Embree will get there, but for cryin out loud folks, give me a break.

Every fan base does that. They get a more even keel coach and people want a guy with more emotion when things go wrong. Or they have an emotional coach and people want a more cool collected guy thinking he makes better decisions. The coach is fine, they need talent is what they need. Which is usually 80% of the problem anyways.

Obviously it's possible my point was just that if Embree thinks the team lacks confidence and he's trying to fix that then he probably shouldn't be telling the team and the media everyday about how they lack talent and only have a couple good players. He's sending contradictory messages.

Embo's points are: (1) we lack depth; and (2) our good players have no swagger whatsoever. Even Paul Richardson - the guy who should probably be our most confident guy - doesn't always seem to have the confidence Embo would like to see.

"Broke" an opposing coach? Umm, what? "pissed off" sure... broke? not so much.

I realized something from Emburrito's rants that I haven't heard anyone mention.

To me the rants point out two main problems: 1, we don't have enough talent to be a real contender and 2, psychologically the team is screwed up and expecting to lose. Believe it or not, I see some good news in this.

The only way to fix number one is with time - multiple years of bringing in new and more talented groups of players into the program- so that's the bad news, but Embree believes we can fix number two right now and if we do we can start winning immediately.

I'll say it again, we can start winning immdiately. JE believes it and I think he's right. He just has to figure out how to get the players to flip that switch in their own heads. He's close too.

I hear a lot of people on this board already writing off this season like it's a done deal and we should play all the underclassmen and hold on until we get more recruits next year. I think it's still too early for that. If the team can get it's head right we can start winning right now and turn the season around. We probably won't run the table but if this team came out and played to it's full potential (and we got a little luck) I can see us winning 5+ of the last 8 and making it to a bowl. We just need our guys to believe it.

I realized something from Emburrito's rants that I haven't heard anyone mention.

To me the rants point out two main problems: 1, we don't have enough talent to be a real contender and 2, psychologically the team is screwed up and expecting to lose. Believe it or not, I see some good news in this.

The only way to fix number one is with time - multiple years of bringing in new and more talented groups of players into the program- so that's the bad news, but Embree believes we can fix number two right now and if we do we can start winning immediately.

I'll say it again, we can start winning immdiately. JE believes it and I think he's right. He just has to figure out how to get the players to flip that switch in their own heads. He's close too.

I hear a lot of people on this board already writing off this season like it's a done deal and we should play all the underclassmen and hold on until we get more recruits next year. I think it's still too early for that. If the team can get it's head right we can start winning right now and turn the season around. We probably won't run the table but if this team came out and played to it's full potential (and we got a little luck) I can see us winning 5+ of the last 8 and making it to a bowl. We just need our guys to believe it.
This would make sense if we didn't have the schedule we have. We could vastly improve and still lose the next 4 games or so by 10+ points.

@sj

the team clearly is fragile. the last few years under gb, CU was often the less athletic team on the field but still managed to win more than it lost. those teams were mentally tough. if embree can get that going here, he'll be able to do more, sooner, than people expect.

:canabis:

:drunk:

Just want to make sure that I understand this. We complain about five years of Coach Hawkins because he didn't show enough emotion and you couldn't beat a straight, honest answer out of him. Now we complain about Embree because he shows emotion and provides straight, honest answers? Obviously I understand there is a happy median, and hopefully Embree will get there, but for cryin out loud folks, give me a break.

Hawk Luv Vs Tough Luv

thanks for the link, this is funny:

pactrail21.gif

Not sure why anyone is getting upset about this. I am listening to it for the first time, I'm 8 minutes in. He is tired of losing. Then he puts the fact that the losing mentality is all on him (which it is not). What are people bitching about? Am I listening to the wrong press conference????

Reactions: dio
Embree didn't throw anyone under the bus.

He did make it clear that losing is not acceptable.

His toughest challenge will be changing the current team's attitude. It won't be a factor in the new recruits.

I think it's a refreshing change from "we're just, you know, a play or two away from a win..." mentality.

There is no longer a sunshine-blower hooked up to sphincter muscles. It's now tell the truth. Do it, or don't...

Embree's a winner, and CU will be soon too. Book it.

Yeah I don't get how he threw the players under the bus. All he asked is when are they going to get sick of losing?

Not sure why anyone is getting upset about this. I am listening to it for the first time, I'm 8 minutes in. He is tired of losing. Then he puts the fact that the losing mentality is all on him (which it is not). What are people bitching about? Am I listening to the wrong press conference????
Thats what Im saying, I didnt think anything was wrong with it at all. I kinda figured we'd have some people bitch about it. We have a Charmin society anymore unfortunately.

First, I'm not bitching. I like his passion. But I was motivated to bring up the topic after listening to Mac. I'm also not saying Mac is the be all, end all. But he brought up quotes from several famous coaches and leaders. The theme from Bill is to encourage kids through the tough times. I really like that Jon hates losing with a passion and I think the kids do as well. I have gotten a little worried, however, about his "not enough talent" and "after five years they should hate losing" remarks. But no one wants a coach for whom losing doesn't eat you up.

They should hate losing after five years of it. Anyone who likes losing, is well, a pussy.

Really? That wasn't bad at all IMO.

He is playing a dangerous game. This is a fragile team, and he is trying to get them to realize that they have to work harder and want it more to win some games, such as Cal and WSU. They aren't doing that. The dangerous part is that if they do what he asks, but get no results, then they could break entirely and give up on the season.

Really? That wasn't bad at all IMO.

He is playing a dangerous game. This is a fragile team, and he is trying to get them to realize that they have to work harder and want it more to win some games, such as Cal and WSU. They aren't doing that. The dangerous part is that if they do what he asks, but get no results, then they could break entirely and give up on the season.

Some might say they have already given up

Not the point. The point was that Jon kind of implied they don't hate losing.
I dont think thats what he implied at all. I think it was more that they settle for losing. One of these days, just maybe, one of these guys will step up in crunch instead of waiting on something bad to happen. That "hear we go again" attitude has to change or we might as well wait on next year. The talent we have, we cant afford to wait for something good to happen, gotta go out and get it. If it doesnt happen and we lose anyway, at least they didnt settle for it and did all they could do. I dont think he would get on them for that.

Under the bus is fine. At least we know he won't be throwing any players in the back of the bus.

Do these coaches know how to win? Embree at TE coach from the NFL, Bienemy a RB coach from the NFL, Brown a long time DB coach with one year co-DC. And Embree wants to rant about the players not being tired of losing, then qualifies that with a statement it's all on him.

There is lack of talent to compete with the best of the PAC12, but we haven't seen anything close to that - at least not until this weekend. Right now there is an even larger void of coaching - in comparison with every school on the schedule this year. As CU fans we have to accept that we have put the programs in the care of inexperienced coaches who appear to have great potential. Right now that's all it is - potential, and if they don't improve their performance coaching a team of average (at best) talent, it will be very hard to improve that talent in these next two or three CRITICAL recruiting classes.

Fans should have patience, however they cannot ignore what they've seen so far. Penalties, questionable play calling, public comments about players, etc. Coaching has declined from the pathetic years of Hawkins, and recruiting hasn't really improved. Perhaps JE, EB and GB are learning something now, to use in years to come. I certainly hope so.

Do these coaches know how to win? Embree at TE coach from the NFL, Bienemy a RB coach from the NFL, Brown a long time DB coach with one year co-DC. And Embree wants to rant about the players not being tired of losing, then qualifies that with a statement it's all on him.

There is lack of talent to compete with the best of the PAC12, but we haven't seen anything close to that - at least not until this weekend. Right now there is an even larger void of coaching - in comparison with every school on the schedule this year. As CU fans we have to accept that we have put the programs in the care of inexperienced coaches who appear to have great potential. Right now that's all it is - potential, and if they don't improve their performance coaching a team of average (at best) talent, it will be very hard to improve that talent in these next two or three CRITICAL recruiting classes.

Fans should have patience, however they cannot ignore what they've seen so far. Penalties, questionable play calling, public comments about players, etc. Coaching has declined from the pathetic years of Hawkins, and recruiting hasn't really improved. Perhaps JE, EB and GB are learning something now, to use in years to come. I certainly hope so.
128713609269431721.jpg

The very idea that the football players on CU's team actually prefer losing to winning is ridiculous.

It's not a question of preferring. It is a question of expecting and accepting losing and we have a bunch of players who go into each game wondering how they are going to lose this time and when it happens shrugging their shoulders because they have accepted it.

Wow, I really dont know where to start on this. EB doesnt know **** about winning, he's never won anything:rolling_eyes:. **** it, not even worth responding to the rest.

I couldn't believe the rant Embree went on after the game. Saturday's outburst was just the tip of the iceberg of over-the-top comments to the media since Spring ball when he was out spouting that he was going to ask some players to leave. Followed by the "positives?" response after Hawaii. His sideline rants during the Wazzu game rivaled only that of Mike Stoops at Arizona.

He (and his staff) looked very amateur on Saturday and this does not reflect positively upon CU. Watching that sideline on Saturday (I sit in 109 on the West side) it looked like a circus. It was clear - there was no leader onthe sideline - that includes players and coaches. How could there be? The head man was ranting around, waving his arms and acting like a position coach. The whole scene really made me think they should have hired Mac with a 3 year plan to turn it over to either Embree or Bienemy.

I want to believe Embree is the guy. However, he really needs to work on his PR skills. Embree is the face of the program now. Not Mac, not the AD, not the SID, not Bienemey. Embree. The world can be burning to the ground behind him, but he needs to keep his cool. That's being a head coach.

This steady dose of vinegar he's been giving is cute for a while, but after two years, it will become very annoying to all involved - recruits, players, their families, the AD, media, alumni and fans. Sometimes a little honey is needed to pull everyone together. They need to circle the wagons. Stick together; shoulder to shoulder. Be Buffs.

:lol: Oh the HORROR of Jon trying to get this team to stop losing in their heads. Yes, let's go back to juiceboxes and pixie dust. I think some people have never been yelled at in their life. boo-hoo.

:wtf: Back to netbuffs with you...

Have you been paying attention? Go back and look at what our commitment list looked like this time last year or any of the Hawkins years. Recruiting has not been spectacular this year but to suggest it's not better than the last several years is simply wrong. The losses have been bad, that's true. But they have been nothing like Toledo or CSU that were so far out of reach that there wasn't a need for a last quarter collapse. As with recruiting, I want to see better on the field but what I see now is still better than what I've seen in recent years.

You are right that Embree and company are unproven potential right now. But don't go from there into silliness.

I am not comparing recruiting this year with last year or the previous two. This is Embree's first real class as the head coach, and if you look at recent history, even Hawkins was able to provide a significant improvement from the transition class of 2006 (9th in PAC12) to his first class of 2007 (4th on PAC12). Embree has to do the same, the talent level cannot continue to decline like it has the last three years. Right now an "improvement" from 12th (2011) to 11th isn't going to do it.

And are we supposed to be encouraged by the 4th quarter collapses? Thankful that they weren't blown out by teams of similar talent? The Buffs are the most penalized team in FBS and have collectively the worst special teams. The offense can't run, score points in the 1st quarter, and the defense continues to give up huge plays at the most critical times. Does anyone really consider that better coaching than we had before?

Back