What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

End of season Press Conference

I agree, if you are 1 and 17 in the pac, just keep the same staff i'm sure things will change.

You can't fix stupid, I guess. Unless you've been living under a rock the last 2 years, you know Helfrich was the OC under Chip Kelly and is now the HC for the #2 team, and best offense in the country. Oh, and btw, he has a better record through 2 seasons than Chip Kelly had.

My point to that statement is to remind all the people on these boards clamoring for Baer, Nienas, and other staff members to be fired, to be careful what you wish for. In all reality, neither you, me, or any of the other "know-it-alls" on these forums have the slightest clue what's really going on with the staff (who's pulling their weight in recruiting, who's calling the shots on special teams, who's making in game calls and adjustments, etc). I gave a prime example of a former CU OC that was fired because the offense wasn't producing (nevermind that it was being run by Bernard Jackson/Cody Hawkins), and the same guy is now one of the premier HEAD COACHES in college football, running the best, most innovative offense in the country.

Fast forward 8 years and it seems like the same thing is going on with Baer. Just because the defense hasn't performed very well, doesn't mean he is the problem and should be fired. Everyone seems to be glossing over the complete lack of talent, depth and experience on the defensive side of the ball. I've said this a lot in my short time on these boards, but at some point all the coaching in the world will cease to matter and the kids just have to go out and make plays. Baer can call the perfect blitz, coverage, slant, twist, stunt, etc. and put the kids in position to stop the offense but at the end of the day, the players have to make the tackle or force the turnover that gets them off the field. We are severely lacking in talent at almost every single position compared to the rest of the conference, and THAT is the reason the defense routinely gets torched.

You can't fix stupid, I guess. Unless you've been living under a rock the last 2 years, you know Helfrich was the OC under Chip Kelly and is now the HC for the #2 team, and best offense in the country. Oh, and btw, he has a better record through 2 seasons than Chip Kelly had.

My point to that statement is to remind all the people on these boards clamoring for Baer, Nienas, and other staff members to be fired, to be careful what you wish for. In all reality, neither you, me, or any of the other "know-it-alls" on these forums have the slightest clue what's really going on with the staff (who's pulling their weight in recruiting, who's calling the shots on special teams, who's making in game calls and adjustments, etc). I gave a prime example of a former CU OC that was fired because the offense wasn't producing (nevermind that it was being run by Bernard Jackson/Cody Hawkins), and the same guy is now one of the premier HEAD COACHES in college football, running the best, most innovative offense in the country.

Fast forward 8 years and it seems like the same thing is going on with Baer. Just because the defense hasn't performed very well, doesn't mean he is the problem and should be fired. Everyone seems to be glossing over the complete lack of talent, depth and experience on the defensive side of the ball. I've said this a lot in my short time on these boards, but at some point all the coaching in the world will cease to matter and the kids just have to go out and make plays. Baer can call the perfect blitz, coverage, slant, twist, stunt, etc. and put the kids in position to stop the offense but at the end of the day, the players have to make the tackle or force the turnover that gets them off the field. We are severely lacking in talent at almost every single position compared to the rest of the conference, and THAT is the reason the defense routinely gets torched.

As to your points on Baer, I think everyone acknowledges a disparity in talent between CU's defense and the opposing offense on the field MOST Saturdays. I see three main points of frustration even under that acknowledgment:

• The offense, while similarly outmanned, has made statistical improvement both seasons under MM's staff. Defense has generally stayed the same statistically, if not worsened.
  • Even in games where not clearly outmanned, the defense gave up large amounts of points (UMASS, CSU). They held TWO teams under 36 points. That is awful, even accounting for talent.
  • Going past numbers and statistics, Baer does not seem to do well with adjustments. Take the USC game, for example.

Also, as to your point bolded above, I wouldn't call Oregon's offense innovative. Their schemes are really simple, but there are so many options out of each formation and play that they just out-execute the opposing defense.

...., I wouldn't call Oregon's offense innovative. Their schemes are really simple, but there are so many options out of each formation and play that they just out-execute the opposing defense.

Because of QB who can run (and is willing to take a shot to get the first down/touch down/positive yards/not throw into double coverage [because there isn't double coverage because there's a running QB])

That's what running QB gives you in the college game.

Are you suggesting that Helfrich was fired from CU?

As to your points on Baer, I think everyone acknowledges a disparity in talent between CU's defense and the opposing offense on the field MOST Saturdays. I see three main points of frustration even under that acknowledgment:

• The offense, while similarly outmanned, has made statistical improvement both seasons under MM's staff. Defense has generally stayed the same statistically, if not worsened.
  • Even in games where not clearly outmanned, the defense gave up large amounts of points (UMASS, CSU). They held TWO teams under 36 points. That is awful, even accounting for talent.
  • Going past numbers and statistics, Baer does not seem to do well with adjustments. Take the USC game, for example.

Also, as to your point bolded above, I wouldn't call Oregon's offense innovative. Their schemes are really simple, but there are so many options out of each formation and play that they just out-execute the opposing defense.
And with the offense playing so much better, the defense was not on the field as much. The fact that the stats are the same or worse is very damning to the 2014 defense.

And with the offense playing so much better, the defense was not on the field as much. The fact that the stats are the same or worse is very damning to the 2014 defense.
the only mitigating factors were (a) The opposing team's #1 offense almost always played the full game, and (b) severe injuries at at safety and LB.

Are they significant mitigators? Yes. Are they complete mitigators? NO.

I'm suggesting that there was a huge faction of fans that didn't want to see Helfrich retained and were not upset when Oregon poached him off our staff. I'm also suggesting that he was the OC of one of the worst offenses in the country and, like our defensive struggles this year not necessarily being due to incompetence on Baer's part, it wasn't Helfrich's lack of ability as an OC that caused our offense to be putrid, but more due to the lack of talent.

Talent >>>>>>>>> Coaching

Baer's tenures at ND and UW with much better talent didn't end well either. I suppose you can blame Willingham some but I am still not sold on Baer. Need to see a leap forward this upcoming season.

the only mitigating factors were (a) The opposing team's #1 offense almost always played the full game, and (b) severe injuries at at safety and LB.

Are they significant mitigators? Yes. Are they complete mitigators? NO.
That's fair. At best I would call it a wash with the lower time on field having helped them and the opposing team's #1 offense having hurt them.

Baer's tenures at ND and UW with much better talent didn't end well either. I suppose you can blame Willingham some but I am still not sold on Baer. Need to see a leap forward this upcoming season.

I would agree. There needs to be marked improvement on the defensive side next season. Look, my whole perspective is that of being patient with this coaching staff that has a track record of taking a terrible program into the top 25. I wasn't as patient with Embree because he, nor nobody on his staff, had even coordinator's experience. I'm willing to wait longer than 2 dismal seasons, in the best offensive conference in the country, before I start calling for heads to roll on the staff. This may be the biggest rebuilding project of a top 30 program of all time, and I truly believe continuity (with a staff that has the experience) is what is needed to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

I would agree. There needs to be marked improvement on the defensive side next season. Look, my whole perspective is that of being patient with this coaching staff that has a track record of taking a terrible program into the top 25. I wasn't as patient with Embree because he, nor nobody on his staff, had even coordinator's experience. I'm willing to wait longer than 2 dismal seasons, in the best offensive conference in the country, before I start calling for heads to roll on the staff. This may be the biggest rebuilding project of a top 30 program of all time, and I truly believe continuity (with a staff that has the experience) is what is needed to get the ball rolling in the right direction.
Hope is not a strategy.

The defense of Baer is hilarious.
Outside of the factors I mentioned, the only other "mitigating factor" is the all frosh DE's. But even then, it's a weak argument. They did not get better as the season went on. And they still couldn't defend the zone read worth a damn.

You can explain away some of our defensive issues, but at the end of the day our defense was always bad when it counted.

I know this was meant to reflect on the defense, but it's pretty damn disappointing that with much better offensive stats, we only improved by half a touchdown a game. We need to get into the end zone more. Also, reducing the turnovers will help us on both ends of the score.

You can't fix stupid, I guess.

Great discussion

When you start an argument with an insult, you have already lost. To follow it up by slamming the inevitable reaction is just, well to use your word, dumb.

Talent >>>>>>>>> Coaching

Obviously we're behind on talent, and while your formula works better for the NFL, you are vastly underrating coaching in college. You either accept that Baer is a good coach who can coach up the <3 star kids we're fielding or accept the fact that he can't and we'll continue at this level of defense. You seem to believe the former despite him fielding consecutive defenses that gave up 38-39 points per game.

I gave a prime example of a former CU OC that was fired because the offense wasn't producing...

I'm suggesting that there was a huge faction of fans that didn't want to see Helfrich retained and were not upset when Oregon poached him off our staff.

Nice recovery. :rolling_eyes:

Playing out your Hawk / Helfrich analogy, maybe we should fire Mac and promote Baer to HC.

When other teams have like say 3rd and long repeatedly and you know they will convert, I have a problem with that. I don't want Baer as DC, I haven't backed from that one bit. Is what it is I guess. All I know is something better shake up or we are gonna see the same **** over and over.

I am not sold on Baer either; but we should give him one more year before deciding if he is the right dc or not. Our defense showed a ton of improvement the first year. Better tackling and fewer blown coverages the bar was not set very high; but it still was an improvement. We did not continue that improvement last year; but we lost bell, hennington and kafavolu before the season started and then lost gillam, Thompson and awuzie for a good portion of the season. For me it's hard to tell how good he is at this point. Next year should be do or die.
How much input do you think mmac has on the defense? I am glad we hired a hc with a strong defensive resume. Assuming mmac is involved with the d, I am hopeful that next year with more experience and better health we should be good.

I am not sold on Baer either; but we should give him one more year before deciding if he is the right dc or not. Our defense showed a ton of improvement the first year. Better tackling and fewer blown coverages the bar was not set very high; but it still was an improvement. We did not continue that improvement last year; but we lost bell, hennington and kafavolu before the season started and then lost gillam, Thompson and awuzie for a good portion of the season. For me it's hard to tell how good he is at this point. Next year should be do or die.
How much input do you think mmac has on the defense? I am glad we hired a hc with a strong defensive resume. Assuming mmac is involved with the d, I am hopeful that next year with more experience and better health we should be good.

Allegedly, MM was not happy and ended up having much more input with the defensive game plans in 2014 than he wanted to -- and he butted heads with Baer over this.

I don't know how many times we heard MM say in post-game during the first third of the season that the defensive "fits" were wrong. If Baer wasn't able to coach up basic gap assignments and control, then I don't see how he can stick around as DC + LB Coach.

Allegedly, MM was not happy and ended up having much more input with the defensive game plans in 2014 than he wanted to -- and he butted heads with Baer over this.

I don't know how many times we heard MM say in post-game during the first third of the season that the defensive "fits" were wrong. If Baer wasn't able to coach up basic gap assignments and control, then I don't see how he can stick around as DC + LB Coach.

That's the confusing part to me too. MM was a pretty good DC in his own right. Who would have thought that the Offense would be way better than the Defense under MM?

Back