What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN 30 for 30 "The Gospel according to Mac" Tonight at 7pm MT

Such a good recap of those times. I remember it like it was yesterday and living thru it as a student was amazing. These guys did a very fair job and it was excellent.
As a student during that time was the racial stuff as pointed as it was portrayed in the program? It made it sound like those guys were really pariahs on campus and in the community. Was it really that way?

As a student during that time was the racial stuff as pointed as it was portrayed in the program? It made it sound like those guys were really pariahs on campus and in the community. Was it really that way?

Not that I recall. Most everybody that I knew was thrilled that we had a great football team. Racism was not a big deal to the folks I hung out with. Football was, though.

I worked in Boulder from about 82-86. I didn't get the impression that the students had a lot of issues in terms of race. As anywhere some did and I could see that being very uncomfortable when you are such a small minority on campus and don't have a lot of support to turn to or places where you can go to be comfortable.

I do think that there were a lot of businesses and citizens in Boulder that were uncomfortable with Blacks including some that were openly hostile. I worked with a couple of young Hispanics and they would get dirty looks and negative treatment when we were running around town doing everyday things.

Coach Mac is probably right in that a lot of the white population didn't even realize that what they did would be interpreted as racist or disrespectful to people who came from a completely different environment.

Dadgummit, you guys spoiled the ending for me! I had to record it.

Racism was prevelant from those guys account and as evident by this year's spring camp fight, some idiot will still pop off and use racial slurs to cut someone down and instigate violence. Chad Brown walked away from it. Not all of those guys were wired to be able to.

Not that I recall. Most everybody that I knew was thrilled that we had a great football team. Racism was not a big deal to the folks I hung out with. Football was, though.

I will always remember the JJ Flanigan incident. He was accosted on the street and it was definitely racially motivated...when he responded he was arrested for using fighting words - I guess using the N word is okay with Boulder police. The Boulder Police department is a racist organization, IMO. Arrested two CU football players after a women said she was raped by two men who were big and black - DNA cleared them and that was in the early 2000s. The racial attitudes in Boulder are part of what caused the "scandal" IMO.

It is hard for me to say as I was outside of the incidents that they reviewed in the show and I was a white guy on campus. I do know that if there was a black kid in my classes, they were a football, basketball or track athlete. There were very few black kids on campus. I remember most of incidents and like others have said, I do vividly remember the JJ Flanigan run in. It was racially motivated. It existed but like I said, I was outside of it and did not witness the overt racism. I do not doubt what they said.

It is hard for me to say as I was outside of the incidents that they reviewed in the show and I was a white guy on campus. I do know that if there was a black kid in my classes, they were a football, basketball or track athlete. There were very few black kids on campus. I remember most of incidents and like others have said, I do vividly remember the JJ Flanigan run in. It was racially motivated. It existed but like I said, I was outside of it and did not witness the overt racism. I do not doubt what they said.
This about sums it up. I lived in the same dorm as Bienemy and a few others.

Pretty much what Sacky said. And, African American recruits for FB, BB, or Track that came from places like Compton Ca, Texas, Louisiana, etc; IMO had a hard time adjusting to a town that back then, was probably 95% Caucasian. I don't recall the students I hung with back then (mid 70's) ever having a racist bone in their body.

The problem with most of the incidents is that they use racial slurs to piss off other people and start a fight, not all the time because they are racist and hate black people, they just know it will get a rise out of others. Now there are definitely people that are actually racist but it is a lot smaller amount than what it appears.

Racism was prevelant from those guys account and as evident by this year's spring camp fight, some idiot will still pop off and use racial slurs to cut someone down and instigate violence. Chad Brown walked away from it. Not all of those guys were wired to be able to.
All it takes is a handful of racist ***holes

Based on Chido's tweet he and I presume most of the team watched it. My hope would be that they all watched it together with the staff and found some inspiration. This team can be great again, what better week to start than to take down the trees

Yes it was really that way. Everyday on campus was not as much as going out into the bars afterwards, and being off campus in Boulder.

This was an excellent piece! I really enjoyed it. Great to hear Mac talk again, he still motivates me. Glad I recorded it, was in tears for the first hour and need to watch it again. It was great to relive the old memories both good and bad!

I think it's safe to blame the hicks coming down from fort collins to find a real party for all that (I wish I wasn't joking).

Anyways, my main takeaway is that Sefo needs to grow a mustache.
Lets not forget the rich yuppie pussies, who thought it was fun to watch us on Saturdays but didn't like black players out in public in bars around their white girlfriends....

Incredible documentary. Mac, for all his flaws, is a leader that is not very prevalent in the world we live in today. He was honest to a fault....commmited to his principles to a fault....spoke from the heart to a fault. I know of NO ONE today whol would give up 10+ million dollars simply because he saw sorrow in his wifes eyes. Coaches today are largely motivated by the jack and power....Mac had neither of those as motivation. You look at how humbly he lives...dude is an inspiration and I can see how he was able to recruit the very best. MacII is a good guy...but he simply does not have the "it" factor. Mac could still recruit and motivate today. As a matter of fact, I think the antagonsim in the world is and racial tensions are higher than they were in the 80's and 90's.... I think Mac would have been a GREAT interim coach after Hawkins debacle. calming force.....l will definitely watch that again.....

Lets not forget the rich yuppie pussies, who thought it was fun to watch us on Saturdays but didn't like black players out in public in bars around their white girlfriends....
Yea, that's why I was joking, whoever you are. Sad ****ty world sometimes.

Yea, that's why I was joking, whoever you are. Sad ****ty world sometimes.

The greatest part of it all is to see how the guys overcame all that and became better men because of it all! That's why we were so close, had to have each others back. On and off the field!

Lets face it...mlost of those instances if not ALL were tainted wtih alcohol. I was in a "few" fights at frat parties and the like.... Alcohol definitely does something to common sense and proper behavior...LOL. I was at CU in Mac's first year....and although I never saw any blatant racism, there was most certainly underlying societal elements which were not friendly to blacks. I played basketball with many of the black football players....they were not kind to short white dudes like myself. I was guarding Rueben Vaughn one day and he basically backed me in...shoved me out of the way...and scored...then later he hit the ball out of bounds and said "the Vaughn says its our ball"....okey dokey.... I took no offense. to it..and loved competing with them....it was fun. Cant wait to hear Macs response in an interview....I am sure he will be pleased. Read some national reviews and they are PISSED that they put Mac in a positive light... Insprinrational video.

Back