What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN 30 for 30 "The Gospel according to Mac" Tonight at 7pm MT

Not sure why they needed to. Shannon came after the Orange Bowls. All it would have done is painted Kristy in an even worse light. I think her story was important to Sal's legacy and enough was said to imply her issues and Mac's family issues, but including Derek, IMO, just makes the story about her.

However, even if it was part of the story they wanted to include in Mac's family, I could see them saying no since Derek is a part of the current team.

Well that is your opinion, but I think Derek is a big part of the story of the McCartney family, as much as T.C. is, and the show was not just about the Orange Bowl years, but the Bill's entire life, pre- and post-CU coaching years. Nor did the show exist to paint anyone is a positive light. I'm not saying they should've dedicated 20 or 30 minutes to Derek, but not to acknowledge that he even exists seems a little strange to me. Perhaps the family, or even Derek himself, requested that he not be part of the show, which would be understandable since he is a current member of the team.

Trojan War aired a week or two ago and it's already on Netflix, so even if you miss the reruns it should be on Netflix within a few days.

Watched Trojan War yesterday, wasn't really impressed with the way it was put together. I'd say we definitely got the better filmmakers.

Watched Trojan War yesterday, wasn't really impressed with the way it was put together. I'd say we definitely got the better filmmakers.

Ours had the advantage of a more complex and compelling story. USC is such a public program that it is hard to find and real surprises that are high interest.

Still though think that our filmakers did a very good job and were balanced without taking favorite sides.

Yep. But I'll take any excuse I can get to watch footage of the 2005 Rose Bowl.

I absolutely loved it. It was great to actually see clips of the story my parent's have told me growing up going to games. My dad has already watched it twice. I loved following along on twitter and see the national reaction on how great it was. One thing that disappointed me was nothing from Joel Klatt. We have the NC State head basketball coach tweeting about it, but Joel can't? Come on now.

This 30 for 30 helped me process McCartney's departure from CU.

He really screwed up with Lyndi and paid the price. For the rest of her life, he took on the challenge to win back her trust, love and happiness.

Above all else, this is a love story. How Bill dedicated himself to make up for infidelity and support Lyndi during her fight with emphysema was touching. I have more respect for his decision to bail on CU than I did before.

It is heartwarming to see old Bill riding his bike around the neighborhood by himself, with aspirations to dance once again with his wife on the other side...if she'll let him.

Last edited by a moderator:
This 30 for 30 helped me process McCartney's departure from CU.

He really screwed up with Lindi and paid the price. For the rest of her life, he took on the challenge to win back her trust, love and happiness.

Above all else, this is a love story. How Bill dedicated himself to make up for infidelity and support Lindi during her fight with emphysema was touching. I have more respect for his decision to bail on CU than I did before.

It is heartwarming to see old Bill riding his bike around the neighborhood by him self, with aspirations to dance with his wife on the other side...if she'll let him.
Well said!

I'll echo some of the sentiment on here that Derek really should have been included. It would have provided a really nice link to the present.

"Remember how awful it was in Nebraska during that 1990 game? The cold, the rain, and the wind? That counts as a good day in Nebraska!"

:LOL:

Last edited:
Man that was really good. Still remember rushing the field after beating kNU. My buddy still has video and you can see me at the 50 flipping off Nebraska :ROFLMAO:

In all of sports, is there really a more interesting story than Mac's years at Colorado? Sal's death, Kristi's pregnancy, religious controversy, rebuilding a moribund program, legal and racial controversy, Rick ****ing Reilly, 5th down BS, split NC, Lou ****ing Holtz's comment, "classy" kNU fans, the Miracle at Michigan, Heisman Trophy. Really the most dramatic and exciting time to be part of any team anywhere at any time IMO. Love my Buffs!!!

Man that was really good. Still remember rushing the field after beating kNU. My buddy still has video and you can see me at the 50 flipping off ****braska :ROFLMAO:

In all of sports, is there really a more interesting story than Mac's years at Colorado? Sal's death, Kristi's pregnancy, religious controversy, rebuilding a moribund program, legal and racial controversy, Rick ****ing Reilly, 5th down BS, split NC, Lou ****ing Holtz's comment, "classy" kNU fans, the Miracle at Michigan, Heisman Trophy. Really the most dramatic and exciting time to be part of any team anywhere at any time IMO. Love my Buffs!!!

We were blessed to be swept up in all that excitement.

In the moment, it was hard to comprehend just how rare and special those years really were.

With the benefit of hindsight and a couple of decades of perspective, it only makes me more appreciative of being lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time.

I suspect other fan bases could spin their experiences into narratives that are as compelling as CU's. FSU with Winston Jameis or USC with Reggie Bush or A&M with Manziel, or Auburn with Cam Newton or Notre Dame with Mante Te'o or Penn State/Paterno all make for some pretty good on field play and off field drama. This is why we keep coming back for more year after year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing a lot of whiny Nebraska fan comments today about how they were characterized last night, and wondering where their 30 for 30 on Osborne is. Sorry, red polyester doesn't sell, except in dim lighting.

30 for 30: The contents of Tom Osborn's office safe.

Yeah, I'd watch that.

I absolutely loved it. It was great to actually see clips of the story my parent's have told me growing up going to games. My dad has already watched it twice. I loved following along on twitter and see the national reaction on how great it was. One thing that disappointed me was nothing from Joel Klatt. We have the NC State head basketball coach tweeting about it, but Joel can't? Come on now.
Klatt works for their competitor.

Klatt works for their competitor.

Klatt was also there during the Barnett era, never played for Mac.

Klatt's dad though who was a very successful HS coach at Pomona did have a solid relationship with Mac and shared a lot of the same values and characteristics at a different level.

Great show. I was pleasantly surprised how they cast Mac and CU. However, I thought it was odd that there was nothing from Larry Zimmer and his thoughts. Pleanty of thoughts from BDC writers but not one word from Zimmer.

Not a big deal. I just found it surprising.

Really enjoyed the episode.

As a Buff fan who was there for all of the big moments in that movie, I loved it. It was great seeing all of that stuff, as well as the soundbites from many of the participants now.

Objectively, the movie was pretty bad. There were tons of real questions raised, but none of them addressed more than superficially. If you do not want the movie to be about religion and it's hold on college sports and sports in general, don't give it that title. And, if you are trying to make an actual documentary, have some dissenting voices on some of the issues raised. If this had been a university produced piece, I would have been fine with it, but as an example of sports journalism it missed the mark.

Great show. I was pleasantly surprised how they cast Mac and CU. However, I thought it was odd that there was nothing from Larry Zimmer and his thoughts. Pleanty of thoughts from BDC writers but not one word from Zimmer.

Not a big deal. I just found it surprising.

Really enjoyed the episode.

You have to remember they filmed this months ago and Zimmer was in really bad shape from his fall at this home and is still rehabbing. I am sure that had something to do with it. B.G. Brooks was really the only one featured and he does not work for the Camera - he works for the University.

Back