What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN.com piece on Sefo

The drunk fan was clearly a douche, but Sefo gets way more of a pass from a lot of fans than most players have over the last decade so it evens out.

By What metric?
Paper was a gamer, that's for sure. Hopefully Sefo proves to be one too with his supposed better supporting cast this year. I think the odds are decent he could be pretty good with a decent oline, run game and receivers. But I fear the odds of that oline, run game and receivers being better are a little low.

The drunk fan was clearly a douche, but Sefo gets way more of a pass from a lot of fans than most players have over the last decade so it evens out.

It's tough with Sefo. He was thrown in as a true frosh on a terrible team. As a soph, he put up good numbers (albeit inflated on certain metrics due to a lot of short passes that gained no yards), but made horrible mistakes that weren't exactly a huge surprise from an underclassman. Junior year bothered me a lot, though. He played bad at Hawaii and only seemed to get it going against CSU once he got injured and it pissed him off. Rest of the season seemed to be about getting healthy again and he started playing really well like in the UCLA game only to suffer the foot injury.

There are things about his performance to like. There are some things with his toughness and accountability that make it very hard to turn on the guy. And then there are simply some performances and decisions that are not good enough, won't allow winning football, and cannot be tolerated.

At the end of the day, he is who we've got, he is the type of person I root for to succeed, he has shown that he is capable including with some crunch time performances, but he hasn't had the consistency and he has been prone to the big mistake or an unexplainable lack of game time/field position awareness. There is reason to believe that a senior QB puts a lot of things together and figures it out. Let's hope.

The problem is the disconnect between calling him the best QB on the roster and calling him a "good" QB at the same time. The first part is certainly true, the second is highly debatable at best. Everyone is rooting for him, but he has had an opportunity few P5 QBs ever get (starting four straight years with little competition), so it is hard to really feel sorry for him based on his supporting cast.

The problem is the disconnect between calling him the best QB on the roster and calling him a "good" QB at the same time. The first part is certainly true, the second is highly debatable at best. Everyone is rooting for him, but he has had an opportunity few P5 QBs ever get (starting four straight years with little competition), so it is hard to really feel sorry for him based on his supporting cast.
I didn't feel bad for him his sophomore year but last year that offensive line really let him down and he was beaten down every game. Over and over again I just wanted him to stay on the ground because you knew he was going to get up and get hit just as hard within the next couple of plays.

I didn't feel bad for him his sophomore year but last year that offensive line really let him down and he was beaten down every game. Over and over again I just wanted him to stay on the ground because you knew he was going to get up and get hit just as hard within the next couple of plays.
Last year he had his shoulder separated in the second game and didn't miss a start. It seemed pretty obvious that it effected his throwing for a few games.

Is it so bad if I feel comfortable with Sefo getting us to 6-6 and a bowl. His ceiling is probably 8 wins, but 6 is doable. This is based on potential better blocking and a deeper receiving core (minus top end Spruce until someone proves it on the field).

Is it so bad if I feel comfortable with Sefo getting us to 6-6 and a bowl. His ceiling is probably 8 wins, but 6 is doable. This is based on potential better blocking and a deeper receiving core (minus top end Spruce until someone proves it on the field).
Not sure why you say Sefo's ceiling is 8 wins. The team may have a ceiling but not sure how anyone could put a number on Sefo's wins or losses.

I have never understood what "ceiling" means.

Maybe I'm overly literal (probably so), but the ceiling is always 12 wins and the floor is always 0.

If we're talking about what range I think is most probable on the bell curve, I think it's extremely likely that CU wins between 3 and 9 games. I'd skew the curve on the down side, say that most likely is 4 to 7, and set the over/under at 5.5 wins.

And, personally, I'm feeling good on top of being a hopeless optimist so I'd bet the over.

Can he throw to both sides of the field now? Last time I watched he was only accurate to one side.
Yes he can throw to both sides of the field, in fact, he graded best to his deep left. Where he struggles is in the short and across the middle.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...p-5-returning-qbs-pac-12-anu-solomon-arizona/

thgRVCi.png

Last edited:
Now that we have all that out... We realize today is not a part of the past, and when the season starts it will all be brand new. The work he has done since his last game will be creating a new present moment. I have faith and confidence that we will see an improved player and that will translate into more wins... This team is improved and much, much better that four years ago.

Most fans are stuck in the past and think the Buffs should win 10 games a year and Sefo is the reason that we're not.

Your rhetoric is too hot. "Most fans" do not believe that Liufau is the reason that CU is not winning 10 games per season. The reality is that it is probably zero fans that believe as much.

Most fans are stuck in the past and think the Buffs should win 10 games a year and Sefo is the reason that we're not.

I don't think that is the case at all. Some fans in every fan base (way too many of them, imo) put a lot more credit or blame on the QB than is deserved. CU is no different. My observation is that most CU fans realize that even Kordell couldn't have won 9 or 10 games with these teams. Sefo has been very representative of the overall team talent and experience level. Heck, we haven't had a player picked in the NFL draft since Paul Richardson after the 2013 season (P-Rich the only Buff taken in that draft). Lack of talent, especially veteran talent, has been historically bad.

I don't think that is the case at all. Some fans in every fan base (way too many of them, imo) put a lot more credit or blame on the QB than is deserved. CU is no different. My observation is that most CU fans realize that even Kordell couldn't have won 9 or 10 games with these teams. Sefo has been very representative of the overall team talent and experience level. Heck, we haven't had a player picked in the NFL draft since Paul Richardson after the 2013 season (P-Rich the only Buff taken in that draft). Lack of talent, especially veteran talent, has been historically bad.

The talent at QB is no different than the rest of the team. In fact, you could argue it is one of the least talented groups on the team, Sefo included.

I guess I expect a "good" QB to win more than two Pac-12 games in 2.5 seasons as a starter. Those pesky sky high expectations.

Injuries and a lack of depth and talent aren't Sefo's fault, the point is that it's silly to blame the team's lack of success squarely on Sefo. He's driven, works hard and always says the right things to the media. I just don't understand Buffs fans wanting to tear him down when he bleeds black and gold and is by all accounts a terrific presence in the clubhouse. He battled through injury last year and he had to rush his recovery this year because the team needs him. Imagine where he'd be if he was a redshirt junior.

Injuries and a lack of depth and talent aren't Sefo's fault, the point is that it's silly to blame the team's lack of success squarely on Sefo. He's driven, works hard and always says the right things to the media. I just don't understand Buffs fans wanting to tear him down when he bleeds black and gold and is by all accounts a terrific presence in the clubhouse. He battled through injury last year and he had to rush his recovery this year because the team needs him. Imagine where he'd be if he was a redshirt junior.
Tim Tebow was one of the hardest workers out there who always said the right things to the media. He just couldn't play at the professional level. He wasn't good enough. The standard for CU's QBs shouldn't be how hard they work or how they deal with the media; it's how talented they are and how many plays they make when the games on the line.

Sefo is everything you mentioned and more. If football games were won based on trying hard, we'd be one of the best in the country with him. I think Sefo has the talent to be successful, unfortunately, the biggest downfall in his game is making too many critical mistakes at critical times in the game. Something he has to change this year or it will be more of the same for this team.

Tim Tebow was one of the hardest workers out there who always said the right things to the media. He just couldn't play at the professional level. He wasn't good enough. The standard for CU's QBs shouldn't be how hard they work or how they deal with the media; it's how talented they are and how many plays they make when the games on the line.

Sefo is everything you mentioned and more. If football games were won based on trying hard, we'd be one of the best in the country with him. I think Sefo has the talent to be successful, unfortunately, the biggest downfall in his game is making too many critical mistakes at critical times in the game. Something he has to change this year or it will be more of the same for this team.

Except Tebow played for a decent team and everyone loved him. NCAA Sefo > NFL Tebow comparatively speaking, but the team didn't have the talent to support him. Hopefully his final year will be a different story and he'll be able to prove the haters wrong after a bowl season where he breaks all the CU passing records.

As silly as it is to blame the team's lack of success squarely on Sefo, it's equally silly to blame Sefo's lack of success squarely on the OL, talent, depth, coaching, etc.

And NFL Tebow made it to the postseason, Sefo...

If Tebows most memorable play is the DT pass to beat the Steelers in the playoffs , I'll take that for Sefo. A bomb to Fields to beat who gives a **** in whatever bowl game would be a nice ending for Sefo and kickstart the journey to an eventual Championship for the Buffs.

Yep. Phil Steele and the experts at Anthlon feel the main problem to solve is efficiency at receiver (routes and catches). Spruce was a major efficiency guy and the PAC focused on him each week. The other guys, including fields, had all the opportunities in the world but couldn't make good on enough of them (of course fields was never the same after his injury). Unless WR gets a lot better, or Chiav has a magic curative, this is still a big problem.

Now no one is saying that Sefo is a world beater, but his detractors are real contrarians; going against what the experts and the entire CU coaching staff have to say.

I think they use Ross as a primary short route receiver who uses those underneath routes to create something with Fields/Winfree stretching the field.

I think they use Ross as a primary short route receiver who uses those underneath routes to create something with Fields/Winfree stretching the field.

I bet your right...but everyone not Spruce has to play the coverage and be at the right place at the right time this year...then actually catch the football.

Back