What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN Preseason Mag - Confidential Questions to Pac-12 Coaches

Do we know for a fact the staff was sleep deprived? I almost kick myself for asking, because CU should have rolled that pathetic UH team 10/10 times. I realize you aren't making excuses, I am just sick of CU shatting the bed.
It's my hypothesis. Don't know for sure. But I do know how I handle travel and stress, and I know that I don't deal with it nearly as well as I did when I was 21.

Not once did the coaches, when asked about the time zone difference, talk about what steps they were taking to mitigate the effects on them, they talked about mitigating the effects on the players.

And then, there was the coaches' actual in-game decision making. I don't think they were stoned or drunk, and I don't think they're stupid, so where does that leave me? Likelihood of sleep deprivation = very high. Effect of sleep deprivation = similar to that of being drunk. Did that play calling, adjustment/lack of adjustment look like something a drunk person would do?

It's my hypothesis. Don't know for sure. But I do know how I handle travel and stress, and I know that I don't deal with it nearly as well as I did when I was 21.

Not once did the coaches, when asked about the time zone difference, talk about what steps they were taking to mitigate the effects on them, they talked about mitigating the effects on the players.

And then, there was the coaches' actual in-game decision making. I don't think they were stoned or drunk, and I don't think they're stupid, so where does that leave me? Likelihood of sleep deprivation = very high. Effect of sleep deprivation = similar to that of being drunk. Did that play calling, adjustment/lack of adjustment look like something a drunk person would do?
What you suggest makes more sense than any explanation I can come up with, so I think you a re probably right. Just thinking about that game (and staying up to watch that cluster) ticks me off.

The second point on this one is that CU didn't have anyone who scared a defense in terms of offensive talent. With some new guys coming in (Winfree, Ento, Bisharat, Huntley, Julmisse, Rakestraw) and the most dynamic athletes on the offense having another year of development (Carr, Adkins, Lee, Fields, Ross, Keeney), there's reason to hope this will change.

This has been my theme this off-season. Loved Spruce, but you could shut him down inside the 20 and there were zero other playmakers on offense. Talent void.
The list of incoming guys has more upside than all the returns you listed by 2x. Maybe that's the half-full side of me. The incoming class at least looks tall and fast, not one or the other.

Neinas would not have had a job at the end of the night if I was the HC.
I think it was Frazier who was suspended that game (or at least the first half). I think I remember Nenias having to bring someone in at the last second for Frazier on that first punt. That person was then responsible for the block, from what I remember. I could be completely wrong here, but how the **** does that even happen?

I think it was Frazier who was suspended that game (or at least the first half). I think I remember Nenias having to bring someone in at the last second for Frazier on that first punt. That person was then responsible for the block, from what I remember. I could be completely wrong here, but how the **** does that even happen?

It was a schematic or teaching error. The same block happened later in the season.

It was the Hawaii game that made me start really doubting myself...CU just didn't seem prepared and to me that is a coaching issue. We would have smashed UH by the middle of the season. MAC is a good coach and I support him, but I have had lingering doubts after that one game.
Wasn't prepared for CSU either and we were lucky to win that one.

The second point on this one is that CU didn't have anyone who scared a defense in terms of offensive talent. With some new guys coming in (Winfree, Ento, Bisharat, Huntley, Julmisse, Rakestraw) and the most dynamic athletes on the offense having another year of development (Carr, Adkins, Lee, Fields, Ross, Keeney), there's reason to hope this will change.

Its foolish to count on incoming freshman. The future is really probably 2 years or further down the pike imho...

#1 is interesting to me. It seems like just about everyone in coaching and media thinks Mike MacIntyre is doing a really good job at CU. It's only CU fans who seem frustrated. As bad as we thought the program had gotten, I think it was actually much worse. Like, "couldn't make the FCS playoffs" worse.

This. And the comment about knowing our tendencies and not having any difference makers. That was our problem. Our last class had players that could be difference makers. This next class has even more. Thats why I am not interested in firing Mac after the fall. It's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's folks. And thats improving. Once the talent is there its easier to evaluate MM on wins and losses.

This. And the comment about knowing our tendencies and not having any difference makers. That was our problem. Our last class had players that could be difference makers. This next class has even more. Thats why I am not interested in firing Mac after the fall. It's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's folks. And thats improving. Once the talent is there its easier to evaluate MM on wins and losses.

Recruiting matters?

Recruiting matters?

If I said it didnt I made a mistake.

I guess I find it a little unexpected that recruiting is improving absent of winning. I though wed get incrementally better in the WL column and that our recruiting would slowly improve in lockstep with those few wins. I am a little surprised things are picking up before the wins came.

Back