What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Espn

cu3x

I was a little surprised when the U announced we would be playing in Hawaii next year, rather then reading we'd been invited and Tad and Co were looking into it. This seemed instantaneous. But then I read this info at the bottom of the CUBuffs.com piece:

"ESPN Events
ESPN Events, a division of ESPN Regional Television (ERT), owns and operates a large portfolio of collegiate sporting events worldwide. The roster includes two Labor Day weekend college football games; 11 college bowl games and eight college basketball events, which accounts for approximately 200 hours of programming, reaches almost 64 million viewers and attracts over a half a million attendees each year. With satellite offices in Boise, Birmingham, Dallas-Fort Worth, Albuquerque, St. Petersburg and Las Vegas, ESPN Events builds relationships with conferences, schools and local communities, as well as providing unique experiences for teams and fans."

and there is more, including conference ties, that I didn't include.

It is pretty clear that a school's relationship with ESPN will be a factor in their ability to maintain or build a big-time program. I had wondered how Duke became a football "power" - how has their relationship with ESPN been these last 10 - 15 years?

I'll keep saying it, ESPN is what is wrong with college athletics. ESPN not the NCAA. The NCAA has its fair share of faults, but ESPN is the poison in the well.

I'll keep saying it, ESPN is what is wrong with college athletics. ESPN not the NCAA. The NCAA has its fair share of faults, but ESPN is the poison in the well.

It's going to be interesting how it shakes out with the new competition. Before, it was other cable start-ups and regional providers. They dominated them and became what they are.

But now they've got CBS, NBC and FOX going directly after them with new sports networks and deals. It's pretty much impossible for ESPN to outbid them all for all of the premium sports programming.

Back