1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN's Tim Griffen

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Hugegroove, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

If I was ESPN, I'd be looking for a new beat writer for the Big 12. I'm not sure if Tim Griffen spends more than 5 minutes at a time researching any team outside of Texas? Below is a link to what he thinks are the Buffs 5 biggest question marks. As far as I'm concerned, #4 is the only real concern he mentions.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-1-253/Colorado-s-five-most-pressing-questions.html

2. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i feel the same way about Griffin. he's a Texas/South wonk. his experience is at the San Antonio paper and he continues to write that way. even worse, they have him writing about basketball, too. i personally don't read ESPN much...it's amazing how bad so many of their "national" guys are.

3. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

i think 4 and 5 are reasonable. The other three just seem like comments.

4. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm bumping a REALLY old thread, because I couldn't find the Tim Griffen column I was looking for.

He listed his top 40 players in the Big 12, and ... yawn ... nary a one was a buff. Geez, Tim, what did we do to offend you?

Now he's come out with some "almost made my list" list.

And we got a single guy list. woop dee do.

Players who almost made my Big 12's top 40 list [​IMG]
    May 4, 2009 5:47 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
    My choice of the top 40 Big 12 players over the past month and a half have prompted a lot of questions from readers about why I picked some, omitted others and ranked the players how I did.
    But the most-asked question that I received on numerous occasions concerned the players who almost made the list but were left off.
    Here's my grouping of 12 players who almost made my list.

• Texas A&M WR Jeff Fuller: Really came on this spring, but his production might have been skewed a little because he was playing against the Aggies' struggling secondary.
    • Oklahoma DE Auston English: His uncertain status because of injuries made me a little leery of picking him.
    • Oklahoma LB Ryan Reynolds: Injuries are a concern with him as well.
    • Baylor DT Phil Taylor: Has to show something in a Big 12 game before I would rank him that highly.
    • Kansas T-C Jeremiah Hatch: Still a little hesistant about boosting him that highly as he makes a position switch.
    • Colorado RB Darrell Scott: Look for him to emerge as a 1,000-yard back if he's healthy.
    • Iowa State RB Alexander Robinson: Don't be surprised if he becomes one of the conference's top combination rusher/receivers in Tom Herman's new offense.
    • Nebraska K Alex Henery: The conference's most consistent long-distance field-goal kicker will attempt to punt this season, too.
    • Nebraska TE Mike McNeill: Might be the conference's most underrated player.
    • Texas Tech T Brandon Carter: Huge offensive lineman struggled late last season against Oklahoma and Mississippi, but was one of the best linemen in the conference earlier in the season.
    • Oklahoma CB Dominque Franks: Improved markedly during 2008.
    • Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson: Set records for the Aggies last season, but still will have to win his job before the season.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12

5. AlferdJasper

Here's the actual list "top 40 in the big 12, according to Tim Griffen" ... if you missed it, as I did the first time around.

Sort of heavy on a couple of schools, wouldn't you say?

Bradford claims top spot in Big 12's player rankings [​IMG]
    May 2, 2009 5:11 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
    No. 1
    Now, we're finally at the top player.
    After counting down the Big 12's best over the last 39 days, is there any real question who the conference's ultimate player is?
    Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford's career has been memorable over his first two seasons. He's already become the only player in Big 12 history to lead his team to back-to-back championships.
    After winning the Heisman Trophy last season, most draft observers thought he would declare for the draft, collect his millions in a pro contract and leave college behind.
    The Sooners' disappointing losses in back-to-back BCS losses have stung Bradford and brought him back for more this season.
    Whether his draft status will be affected is debatable. He'll be playing behind a green offensive line that will feature four new starters and he'll be throwing to a new group of wide receivers.
    It likely will give him a different perspective after his first two seasons.
    But if it pays off with a national championship, it will all be worth it for him.
    Player: Sam Bradford
    Team: Oklahoma
    Position: Quarterback
    Vitals: 6-foot-4, 218 pounds; Jr.; Oklahoma City, Okla. (Putnam City North)

Why he was picked: Bradford had a superlative season in winning his Heisman last season, leading the nation in touchdown passes (50) and passing efficiency (180.84). He also set the school record for single-game passing yards with 468 against Kansas and set the school career record for touchdown passes (86) Other honors he received last season included the Davey O'Brien Award, the Sammy Baugh Trophy, the Chic Harley Award and the Associated Press and Sporting News' first-team All-American. His numbers bordered on the amazing at times last season as he threw five TD passes in four different games and notched 11 300-yard passing games. But most importantly, he's led the Sooners to Big 12 championships in both of his seasons as a starter.
    What 2009 will hold: Bradford unabashedly says his return was influenced by the Sooners' BCS national title game loss to Florida. He'll have a chance to become the first back-to-back Heisman Trophy winner since Archie Griffin in 1974-75. But he'll be doing it with a completely different supporting cast as the Sooners break in two new starting wide receivers and four new offensive linemen. It will give Bradford a chance to expand his leadership roles and perhaps show other facets of his game. He rarely has been pressured in Big 12 games and that will likely change this season behind the rebuilt line. He'll also have a chance to show off his arm in a different way with the new receivers. It wouldn't be a surprise if his statistics fall off a little this season - both because of the flux among his pass catchers and the return of two potent running weapons like DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown. But if the Sooners claim the national title, Bradford won't be complaining.
    The countdown:
    2. Texas QB Colt McCoy
    3. Oklahoma State WR-KR Dez Bryant
    4. Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham
    5. Baylor QB Robert Griffin
    6. Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh
    7. Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy
    8. Oklahoma State RB Kendall Hunter
    9. Oklahoma LB Travis Lewis
    10. Kansas QB Todd Reesing
    11. Oklahoma RB-KR DeMarco Murray
    12. Oklahoma State T Russell Okung
    13. Texas DE-LB Sergio Kindle
    14. Oklahoma T Trent Williams
    15. Missouri LB Sean Weatherspoon
    16. Baylor LB Joe Pawelek
    17. Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson
    18. Texas WR-KR Jordan Shipley
    19. Oklahoma RB Chris Brown
    20. Nebraska I-back Roy Helu Jr.
    21. Texas Tech DT Colby Whitlock
    22. Kansas WR-KR Dezmon Briscoe
    23. Oklahoma DE Jeremy Beal
    24. Kansas S Darrell Stuckey
    25. Texas Tech RB Baron Batch
    26. Kansas QB-WR Kerry Meier
    27. Texas T Adam Ulatoski
    28. Oklahoma State LB Andre Sexton
    29. Missouri G Kurtis Gregory
    30. Missouri RB Derrick Washington
    31. Texas Tech LB Brian Duncan
    32. Texas S Earl Thomas
    33. Kansas State WR-KR Brandon Banks
    34. Oklahoma LB Keenan Clayton
    35. Baylor S Jordan Lake
    36. Oklahoma State CB-KR Perrish Cox
    37. Texas C Chris Hall
    38. Texas Tech DE-DT McKinner Dixon
    39. Kansas State DE Brandon Harold
    40. Oklahoma FB Matt Clapp

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

People are going to be pretty surprised at some players like Jimmy Smith stepping up. Good to see Scott get some pub.

BTW, how can Griffin be ranked ahead of Reesing?:confused:

7. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

because griffin lives in um... Texas

8. AlferdJasper

This is the breakdown of his "top 40"

Really amazing that he gets paid to just write whatever pops into his head, isn't it?

Okla 10
    Texas Tech 5
    Okie State 5
    Kansas 4
    Texas 4
    Ks state 3
    Baylor 3
    Missouri 3
    NU 2
    Tx st 1
    Iowa 0
    Co 0

9. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

Don't get me started...

10. AlferdJasper

ah, come on.

Tell us what you REALLY think.

11. Coloradosker

Coloradosker Active Member

He does spend a lot of time on the state of Texas but I thought his tidbits throughout the league over the spring were pretty fair and balanced. He did make a tour this spring and stopped by every campus to give a report on the teams.

12. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Miller or Jimmy Smith aren't on that list but the reason why there are more players from Oklahoma and Texas on that list is because... there are better players at those schools than there are at CU right now. When you have three consecutive losing seasons you aren't going to get a lot of love from the media, particularly when you play in a high-profile conference like the B12.

13. broncos1

broncos1 Member

griffin can definitely be better but I am not surprised there are no CU players...all have potential, none have really done anything to warrant the mention. After this year, I would expect some of the youth to emerge and be on this list in 2010. Jimmy Smith, Darrell Scott, Markques Simas, Nate Solder, Bryce Givens, Ryan Miller, etc.

Win ball games and we will get plenty on this list next year.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  14. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

The article you linked is from August 2008. Its writing up last years' team. That might be why the questions don't make much sense.:lol:

15. The Guest

The Guest Guest

That was acknowledged.

16. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

He linked an article from 2008 because that post you quoted was from 2008.

17. BuffsRising

Oops. Guess I should have looked at the date on the thread's opening post!

Its amazing, however, that whatever else changes, that Tim Griffin is still a douchebag.

AlferdJasper likes this.
  18. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

I'm not defending Griffin, but when you look at the 2010 NFL draft top-10 prediction there is one guy from Okie Lite, one from USC and the rest are from Texas and OU. Pretty amazing really. If you translate that to top-Big-12 players, Griffin's top 20 look pretty reasonable. The fact of the matter is that we have been pretty short on talent for a while. If his list is this light on CU talent in 2010 and 2011, then I will wonder.

19. The Guest

The Guest Guest

:lol: Nice salvage.

20. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I saw one mock draft the other day where half of the top 10 picks were from OU. And they weren't bad choices. :wow: That team is loaded, and Stoops better win a MNC this year. If he doesn't, he has NO excuses...

The 6 north teams, combined, did put 2 more players on that list than OU did. So that's something, I guess.... :huh:

21. BuffsRising

I consider Tim Griffin and Huskerpedia to be my pocket aces.

22. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

You could argue UT is the better team heading into the season though because of questions with OU's offensive line. I think this is UT's best team since 2005, gonna be interesting to watch.

I'm not surprised CU guys are absent from the list, but I think we'll see a few guys step up this season and the media should take notice.

23. BuffsRising

I'm okay with our guys not being on a silly list like this. Our guys don't need plaudits, they need motivation, and being ignored can be very motivating. If Tim Griffin is doing a write up on Jimmy Smith and Riar Geer or Ryan Miller after the season, then I'll be happy.

24. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

I would rather have no players on the list and then come out and have guys like J. Smith, D. Scott, Simas, Miller etc stepping up and surprise people instead of having all sorts of expectations and then not being able to fullfil them.

25. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

you mean like the coach guaranteeing 10 wins? :smile2:

26. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Ok at the risk of sounding stupid...what does MNC stand for?? I see it all the time here. I get the NC being National Championship, but what's the M?

27. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

I think he means like being Sporting News' preseason #1 and then going 5-6. :lol: :cry:

28. BuffsRising

Mythical. The NCAA doesn't actually award a national championship in Div. I football.

29. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

How ridiculous is that. Thanks for the explanation, rep!

30. BuffsRising

Yeah, its pretty dumb. They say they can't do a playoff, because that would interfere with academics (as if they really cared) but they have a playoff in every other division except division I. The NCAA aren't the brightest lights on the christmas tree.