What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN's Tim Griffen

I saw one mock draft the other day where half of the top 10 picks were from OU. And they weren't bad choices. :wow: That team is loaded, and Stoops better win a MNC this year. If he doesn't, he has NO excuses...

The 6 north teams, combined, did put 2 more players on that list than OU did. So that's something, I guess.... :huh:

You could argue UT is the better team heading into the season though because of questions with OU's offensive line. I think this is UT's best team since 2005, gonna be interesting to watch.

I'm not surprised CU guys are absent from the list, but I think we'll see a few guys step up this season and the media should take notice.

that and WR BB

Texas needs to find a running game 1st other than Colt. 2005 they had that other than black jesus....

He does spend a lot of time on the state of Texas but I thought his tidbits throughout the league over the spring were pretty fair and balanced. He did make a tour this spring and stopped by every campus to give a report on the teams.

Except Colorado - the excuse being that the Buffs started spring practice later than the other schools ....

Here's the deal. If I were Tim Griffen (which in case you haven't noticed, I'm not), I would be a little more aware of my audience. I don't think there's any reason to do a top 40 instead of say, a top 10 or a top 50, players in the Big 12. So when you do it, and 1/4th of the players are all one school, and a couple of schools have no presence on the list, it would be SMART of him to just expand the list so that there were a couple of players, even in the 40-50 count end of the list, that we could consider.

To me, he just tosses off articles with no thought.

Yes, I'm asking for two things: one, that he give more research and thought to his articles, and two, that he go out of his way to include more schools even if it means expanding the list.

but overall, if TG and others want to diss the buffs, okay by me for this reason: I'm still thinking we are coming on strong and the first few teams won't even know what hit 'em.

WHAM, POW, BOOM! Who was that masked team?

How ridiculous is that. Thanks for the explanation, rep!

more specifically, i think it's also used to refer to "championships" awarded by the polls under the pre-BCS bowl system with the old conference tie-in's (Big 8, Orange; SEC, Sugar; Rose, Big 10/Pac 10; SWC, Cotton etc.). which are seen as less "scientific" than the BCS "system" we have now which guarantees a #1 vs. #2 matchup even though it's criteria are mostly a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I recall in 1985 that CU was considered one of the ten worst programs in the entire country heading into the season. CU went from 3-8 in 1984 to 7-5 in 1985. Nobody saw it coming.

I think CU is going to surprise a lot of people this year. All the recruiting that we've been doing is going to show up on the field this year. We have a lot of talent on this team.

Here's the deal. If I were Tim Griffen (which in case you haven't noticed, I'm not), I would be a little more aware of my audience. I don't think there's any reason to do a top 40 instead of say, a top 10 or a top 50, players in the Big 12. So when you do it, and 1/4th of the players are all one school, and a couple of schools have no presence on the list, it would be SMART of him to just expand the list so that there were a couple of players, even in the 40-50 count end of the list, that we could consider.

To me, he just tosses off articles with no thought.

Yes, I'm asking for two things: one, that he give more research and thought to his articles, and two, that he go out of his way to include more schools even if it means expanding the list.

but overall, if TG and others want to diss the buffs, okay by me for this reason: I'm still thinking we are coming on strong and the first few teams won't even know what hit 'em.

WHAM, POW, BOOM! Who was that masked team?
I could give a crap about his list, but...EXACTLY. AJ, I tried to rep you but was told I have to spread the love before I can hit you again. Whatever, you've said what I would have said if I didn't see red (or burnt orange...pun intended) whenever I read TG.

I recall in 1985 that CU was considered one of the ten worst programs in the entire country heading into the season. CU went from 3-8 in 1984 to 7-5 in 1985. Nobody saw it coming.

I think CU is going to surprise a lot of people this year. All the recruiting that we've been doing is going to show up on the field this year. We have a lot of talent on this team.

We were actually 1-10 in 1984. That was the year Ed Reinhardt was injured in the Oregon game, and the team lost a bunch of really close games, including Nebraska at Folsom. We had the lead 7-3 in the fourth quarter before the dam broke and they scored three touchdowns. That was an unpleasant season.

But I agree wholeheartedly about this year. Our offensive line is going to be much, much better than last year, and the aggressive blocking scheme is going to help the offense. Imagine the qb getting to throw without guys in his face. Imagine having the time to let receivers run deeper routes. Imagine being able to let tight ends and backs become receivers again.

Okay, I'm bumping a REALLY old thread, because I couldn't find the Tim Griffen column I was looking for.

He listed his top 40 players in the Big 12, and ... yawn ... nary a one was a buff. Geez, Tim, what did we do to offend you?

Now he's come out with some "almost made my list" list.

And we got a single guy list. woop dee do.

Players who almost made my Big 12's top 40 list
May 4, 2009 5:47 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
My choice of the top 40 Big 12 players over the past month and a half have prompted a lot of questions from readers about why I picked some, omitted others and ranked the players how I did.
But the most-asked question that I received on numerous occasions concerned the players who almost made the list but were left off.
Here's my grouping of 12 players who almost made my list.

• Texas A&M WR Jeff Fuller: Really came on this spring, but his production might have been skewed a little because he was playing against the Aggies' struggling secondary.
  • Oklahoma DE Auston English: His uncertain status because of injuries made me a little leery of picking him.
  • Oklahoma LB Ryan Reynolds: Injuries are a concern with him as well.
  • Baylor DT Phil Taylor: Has to show something in a Big 12 game before I would rank him that highly.
  • Kansas T-C Jeremiah Hatch: Still a little hesistant about boosting him that highly as he makes a position switch.
  • Colorado RB Darrell Scott: Look for him to emerge as a 1,000-yard back if he's healthy.
  • Iowa State RB Alexander Robinson: Don't be surprised if he becomes one of the conference's top combination rusher/receivers in Tom Herman's new offense.
  • Nebraska K Alex Henery: The conference's most consistent long-distance field-goal kicker will attempt to punt this season, too.
  • Nebraska TE Mike McNeill: Might be the conference's most underrated player.
  • Texas Tech T Brandon Carter: Huge offensive lineman struggled late last season against Oklahoma and Mississippi, but was one of the best linemen in the conference earlier in the season.
  • Oklahoma CB Dominque Franks: Improved markedly during 2008.
  • Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson: Set records for the Aggies last season, but still will have to win his job before the season.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12

Alferd - I had the link you were looking for within this article. It's still there.

Did Tim G. actually go to the spring game?

...which means Stoops will be coming to CU and will win a mNC with Hawk's talent!

so what you are saying is that you believe Hawkin's can recruit, but is a ****ty-ass coach and motivator much like John Blake was as OU's HC?

Last edited:
This article is kinda interesting....

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-9-26/Judging-Big-12-coaches-by-conference-records.html

didnt know Dan Hawkins has the same conference won/loss record as John Blake did after 3 years.....

I took completely different lessons from TG's research, then he himself did.

One of the more interesting lessons, to me, is that both "Two in the Pinkel" and "Jake and the Fat Man" have piss poor long-term records in the Big XII, but have emerged to lead their programs to the top of the North Division.

I realize that most of the world believes that being Big XII North leaders is kinda like Anthony Michael Hall in "16 Candles"--King of the Dip****s--BUT, you've gotta admit significant progress for both those teams. Especially with a several nice bowl wins in the last two seasons.

My point? When it comes to the "have nots" in the Big XII, continuity of coaching staff appears to be a key ingredient to long-term success.

May 8, 2009 Big 12 Blog

Some spring game helmet stickers
May 8, 2009 4:02 PM
One of our most popular features during the season was our Sunday morning awarding of helmet stickers for strong performances during games of that week.
With the completion of all spring games across the conference, it figured to be a good way to honor some of the best of the Big 12's spring game performances.

Here are my choices:

Colorado's running backs: Hard to single out one player as Darrell Scott (90 yards), Demetrius Sumler (73 yards), Brian Lockridge (55 yards) and Rodney Stewart (52 yards) all had big days in the Buffs' Black-Gold game.

I saw that article too. That guy (griffen) has lot's of issues.

did you see this one where he implies Stoops controls the tie break with his cabal of coaches, while Mack was left out to "argue his points". this is just hilarity. Leach is going to vote against his own team, because he was an assistant for Stoops one year?

No surprise that Big 12 coaches opt to keep tiebreaking status quo
May 6, 2009 11:37 PM
Big 12 coaches took the expected approach when they rejected the plan to change the conference's current tiebreaking rules for three-way deadlocks.
Coaches voted to keep the current manner of using the BCS standings to break ties between two or more teams.

It was the rule that boosted Oklahoma into the Big 12 title game on the fifth of sixth tiebreakers. Oklahoma finished 13 thousandths of a point last December after a three-way tie for the South championship involving the Sooners, Longhorns and Texas Tech.

I've got to think the fact that Texas was complaining the most about this particular rule didn't help the chances of change. Add that Texas coach Mack Brown wasn't present to argue his points and it was a tough uphill battle for the Longhorns to push for.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said he was willing to go with whatever way the other coaches would be willing to vote.

Stoops controls a rather sizable bloc of coaching votes who he has either worked under him or worked with. The Oklahoma coach was employed by Kansas State's Bill Snyder earlier in his career. Kansas coach Mark Mangino, Texas Tech coach Mike Leach and Nebraska coach Bo Pelini all worked on Stoops' staff. And Baylor coach Art Briles worked under Leach at Tech, making him a second-generation protege of Stoops.

The biggest reason, however, was because coaches believe the current system better provides a better chance for a national championship. The argument goes that there might be a chance that a fifth-ranked or sixth-ranked team might earn a championship game appearance over a team that's ranked first or second -- costing the conference a shot at a potential national championship.

Even the controversy of settling the Big 12 South by the fifth tiebreaker actually might have increased attention in the conference last season. The conference's national exposure had never been higher in the 13-season history of the conference than during the last month of the season.
Deep down, is that such a bad thing for Commissioner Dan Beebe and the conference?

The coaches' recommendation will be analyzed by conference athletic directors at their meeting May 18-20 in Colorado Springs, Colo.
But I'm not thinking they will change the current tiebreaking rule, either.

Re: ESPN's Tim Griffin

I thought his APR article was akin to the prosecution's opening statement, and needed a defense, so I wrote him:

Brad from Denver writes: Tim, Your article about APR ratings in the Big 12 left the door open for people to criticize Colorado. The Buffaloes' rating is in peril primarily because of recent attrition of players that were ineligible because of academics, an area that Colorado is more stringent on than just about any other school. Players don't study, they don't play; they don't play, they leave. All schools aren't created equally, and it is more difficult to achieve a 2.6 GPA at some schools than others.
Accordingly, I do not find it a coincidence that Baylor and Colorado, arguably the two Big 12 schools with the most rigorous academic standards, are at the bottom of the list.

Tim Griffin: I agree with your point about grades at some schools than others. But to steal a line from Tony Soprano, Colorado's APR score is what it is. It's close to falling below the level where punitive penalties start kicking in. If Coach Dan Hawkins is having trouble keeping players eligible and then they transfer, he might consider attracting players who would be more likely to stay.
The APR is the first piece of academic reform that actually has some teeth in it. The NCAA does a lot of things wrong. But I think this piece of legislation that is good for college athletics.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-9-39/Mailbag--Why-isn-t-Tommie-Frazier-in-Hall-of-Fame-.html

I guess that's the trick - simply recruit players who are going to stay. Somebody call Hawk on the road and tell him to stop recruiting players that eventually leave.

I thought his APR article was akin to the prosecution's opening statement, and needed a defense, so I wrote him:

Brad from Denver writes: Tim, Your article about APR ratings in the Big 12 left the door open for people to criticize Colorado. The Buffaloes' rating is in peril primarily because of recent attrition of players that were ineligible because of academics, an area that Colorado is more stringent on than just about any other school. Players don't study, they don't play; they don't play, they leave. All schools aren't created equally, and it is more difficult to achieve a 2.6 GPA at some schools than others.
Accordingly, I do not find it a coincidence that Baylor and Colorado, arguably the two Big 12 schools with the most rigorous academic standards, are at the bottom of the list.

Tim Griffin: I agree with your point about grades at some schools than others. But to steal a line from Tony Soprano, Colorado's APR score is what it is. It's close to falling below the level where punitive penalties start kicking in. If Coach Dan Hawkins is having trouble keeping players eligible and then they transfer, he might consider attracting players who would be more likely to stay.
The APR is the first piece of academic reform that actually has some teeth in it. The NCAA does a lot of things wrong. But I think this piece of legislation that is good for college athletics.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-9-39/Mailbag--Why-isn-t-Tommie-Frazier-in-Hall-of-Fame-.html

I guess that's the trick - simply recruit players who are going to stay. Somebody call Hawk on the road and tell him to stop recruiting players that eventually leave.

And he completely ignores your main point, which is that those kids who don't/can't stay at CU would be much more likely to stay and play at a place like KjSU or some of the other academic bottom feeders in the conference. What the NCAA did may or may not have been good for college athletics, but there is no question that is affects some schools far more than others... :huh:

For the sake of discussion (or argument) what CU players based upon past performance would you put on the top 40 list. I think CU has a lot of guys that have potential to move to that level - Miller, Jimmy Smith, Solder, Darrell Scott, Speedy Stewart (an I hope Simas). But most have not played much to date.

My dark horse for a key CU player is Burton at linebacker. Burton wanted to come to CU and was a highly thought of LB out of Texas - CU was not looking at LB as a position of need that year but thought that if a good one falls in your lap you need to take him. Burton played as a true Frosh with the staff commenting that they could not keep him off the field. He made the Big 12 all freshmen team. Then the coaching change happened and he seemed to disappear...had a sophomore slump and ending up breaking his leg, was academically ineligible the next year and in 2008 did not seem to catch his stride.

Last edited:

From the same article/blog linked above:

Rick from Boulder, Colo., writes: It stung a little that you didn't see any Buffs make your top 40 in the Big 12. Would you say a couple might have made the list if it were a top 50 instead? I think Colorado has some talent just about to have a breakout season.
Tim Griffin: I included Darrell Scott on my list of 10 players who nearly made the list. If Markques Simas plays up to his ability, I think he can develop into a solid Big 12 player. Josh Smith is a versatile player who does a lot of things well. Jimmy Smith looks like he might develop into a lockdown cornerback. And I like their offensive line collectively, although one player doesn't stand out for me.
And I think a big performance this season might enable them to have several players on the 2010 list.

th_9635430012213259471.gif

From the same article/blog linked above:

Tim Griffin: ... And I like their offensive line collectively, although one player doesn't stand out for me.

So, Rivals names Solder to their all-spring team, but no one stands out to Griffin. Oh yeah, his evaluations don't include actually watching players, unless they're from Oklahoma or Texass. But he's usually a better plagiarist than this...

Back