What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Even Kansas has more commits than us..

Plus, just speculating... but we may go after pk Justin Castor (who committed to KU) now that Kip Smith is off the board.

Castor apparently thought we might offer back in June.

Also, Castor spent time this month at the University of Colorado and the Buffs look interested as well. Castor says Colorado special teams coach Kent Riddle said an offer may be coming soon.
(From June 2009)

how about going after the DT they have.. Jermiah Edwards from Texas..

http://rivals.yahoo.com/colorado/football/recruiting/player-Jeremiah-Edwards-92286

With him (and others) it may somewhat depend on whether the next coach retains David Beaty, their WR coach. He's from Garland, TX and has been instrumental in KU pulling in a bunch of Texas kids (including Edwards). He's listed as the lead recruiter on several other Texas 3* and 4* guys for Kansas, including 6 of their current commitments (not including Edwards): David Beaty.

If I was Dan Hawkins, I'd be taking a long, hard look at firing Collins, promoting Brown to DC, making Ambrose our DB coach, and doing what it took to bring Beaty on staff as our new WR coach. He's only been at KU for 1 year, so there's no loyalty there (he was Rice's WR coach the previous 2 years). Prior to that, Beaty was a successful Texas high school coach at MacArthur HS in Irving (North Dallas suburb).

Edit: Beaty is making $166,300 at Kansas. That puts him lower than everyone besides Hagan, Bandison and Foster from this year's CU staff. USA Today Coach Salary Database

Last edited:
No need to panic this class will be filled with a bunch of great "sleepers" and a few blue chippers.

All the "sleepers" will pan out to be sensational (again proving the experts at Scout, Rivals and ESPN know absolutely nothing about real talent) and the Buffs will be on their way to a national championship. :smile2:

Here are the guys that made the 2009 All Big 12 team (ratings are Rivals):

OL Nate Solder (1st team): 3* TE
TE Riar Geer (2nd team): 3* ATH
DB Cha'pelle Brown (2nd team): 2* CB
FB Jake Behrens (Hon mention): 3* FB
DB Jalil Brown (Hon mention): 2* DB
DB Benjamin Burney (Hon mention): 2* DB
DL Marquez Herrod (Hon mention): 3* DE
WR Scotty McKnight (Hon mention): 2* WR
OL Ryan Miller (Hon mention): 5* OL
LB Jeff Smart (Hon mention): 1* (not rated) LB
DB Jimmy Smith (Hon mention): 3* DB
RB Rodney Stewart (Hon mention): 2* RB

Seems to me we've done a good job of coaching up talent that wasn't highly recruited. 7 of those 12 guys are back next year and I feel very good about that.

In addition, we'll have the following 10 highly rated guys moving into prominent roles (starter or 2-deep): Toney Clemons (4* WR), Ryan Deehan (4* TE), Bryce Givens (4* OL), Jack Harris (4* OL), Nick Kasa (4* DE), Jon Major (4* LB), Ray Polk (4* S), Markques Simas (4* WR), Andre Simmons (4* WR), Max Tuioti-Mariner (4* OL).

We really need to sign a kicker in the worst way. If the coaches whiff on getting a scholarship kicker in here to compete with Goodman, they have dropped the ball.

We really need to sign a kicker in the worst way. If the coaches whiff on getting a scholarship kicker in here to compete with Goodman, they have dropped the ball.
Agreed, missing kicks has been a huge factor in most of our losses. Legit comp. might be exactly what Goodman needs. As it is, he really has no fear of getting yanked for missing kicks cause there is nobody else. Maybe knowing that he will lose his job, if he doesnt perform, will be the kick in the ass he needs. Only one way to find out.

No need to panic this class will be filled with a bunch of great "sleepers" and a few blue chippers.

All the "sleepers" will pan out to be sensational (again proving the experts at Scout, Rivals and ESPN know absolutely nothing about real talent) and the Buffs will be on their way to a national championship. :smile2:
just like last year, right? when we had like 10 "silent commits" and had nothing to worry about around this time. how did that class turn out?

What about Grossnickle? Is he not going to be doing FGs?

He's a lock to be our punter. We did recruit him more as a Placekicker, but doing both as a RS-Freshman would seem to be a lot on his plate. I guess we'll see this spring.

He's a lock to be our punter. We did recruit him more as a Placekicker, but doing both as a RS-Freshman would seem to be a lot on his plate. I guess we'll see this spring.

Are these skills really so technical you couldn't expect him to excel at both? You must be referring to preparation, because t's not like FGs occur that often in games.

What about Grossnickle? Is he not going to be doing FGs?

At the banquet, I was told that all the kickers (ALL) would be getting a shot at all kicking positions. And that was before Aweida deciding not to stay on the team.

Grossnickle punted and kicked in HS so he could probably handle more than punting alone. Same as Alex Henery up in the bleak north does (and does both well).

I would bet Goodman retains KOs duty - he did fine with that. I will not know what to say if they give him field goals again. Practice has not made perfect.

Still hope they are looking for a recruit at this position, preferably combo guy, so there is some depth and possibility for a redshirt year.

I am worried that we seem to be after a lot of guys that lack a ton of other big time offers, but the staff has done a good job, at least in this respect, of developing those underrated guys. Sometimes other offers just isn't indicative of how good a guy actually could be. Watching the Pitt game today, who knew that Dion Lewis guy had offers from Pitt and a bunch of lower level programs. Nick Hirschman, from what I can tell, could be a big time QB and his only other offer is from Harvard of all places.

The staff has some serious work to do in the next few months, you're right in that respect Jimmy. First order of business should be getting Spond back and keeping Jones as a commitment. Next order of business is to get some big guys on the lines and keep getting playmaking speedsters. A kicker couldn't hurt either, although I have high hopes for Grossnickle.

I keep hearing how great this staff is at developing recruits. I must be watching something else.

Fair enough, how about this, they have shown they can develop a few players. Considering we're coming off of a 3-9 season, they haven't developed enough. I know what you guys are getting at, I'm in the same boat, but we have to accept our fate that we aren't going to be getting any Jon Majors or Darrell Scotts this year. We have to make a living off of 3* types that aren't getting major attention from winning programs. Maybe this is for the best since this staff doesn't seem to be able to handle the highly rated guys anyway.

Fair enough, how about this, they have shown they can develop a few players. Considering we're coming off of a 3-9 season, they haven't developed enough. I know what you guys are getting at, I'm in the same boat, but we have to accept our fate that we aren't going to be getting any Jon Majors or Darrell Scotts this year. We have to make a living off of 3* types that aren't getting major attention from winning programs. Maybe this is for the best since this staff doesn't seem to be able to handle the highly rated guys anyway.

Every staff in America can develop a few players.. Hell I bet if we pick an allbuffs coaching staff we could develop 3 or 4 out of the 85 players or so on the team too..

I can't believe this administration is okay with setting the program back even further.. I went through these commits that we have, Jones and Munchie are the only players that have legit offers elsewhere. Maybe the QB from Cali can play, I don't know. .The rest are non-BCS talent that must be coached up to make it here at CU(you think Talkins and his staff are going to "coach" up anyone?) And where's the DT/DL or OL? This staff has no clue how to properly recruit.. One Texas player.. ONE.. Are we even trying to recruit Texas?

Hell, Iowa State has 20 commits.. This is a joke..

Go ahead someone try to counter anything I said.. I actually do want to change my mind or get another perspective on this.. Right now, I'm not seeing anything positive with Talkins and his recruiting right now. Every one of our Big 12 rivals is crushing us.. :sad2:

thanks mel kiper. and its DAN HAWKINS. holy ****/

Every staff in America can develop a few players.. Hell I bet if we pick an allbuffs coaching staff we could develop 3 or 4 out of the 85 players or so on the team too..

I'm no scout or anything, but from what I can tell, the guys we have commits from can play football, and play it well. Lets just leave Hawk and crew out of the equation since nothing good is going to come of that debate. We have commits from some pretty good guys and we're still after some pretty good guys. I'll be the first one to join you in the debate on how Hawk's philosophy of passive recruiting seems to work against us and end with us undersigning; but short of calling Hawk himself and telling him to change it, there's not much we can do about it.

I realize what you're saying, we are lacking in commits big time and need to get it going. I agree. Hawk has 2 months to get it going because as far as I can tell, we need to be signing about 23-25 guys this year. That leaves room for at least 13 or so commits.

I'm no scout or anything, but from what I can tell, the guys we have commits from can play football, and play it well. Lets just leave Hawk and crew out of the equation since nothing good is going to come of that debate. We have commits from some pretty good guys and we're still after some pretty good guys. I'll be the first one to join you in the debate on how Hawk's philosophy of passive recruiting seems to work against us and end with us undersigning; but short of calling Hawk himself and telling him to change it, there's not much we can do about it.

I realize what you're saying, we are lacking in commits big time and need to get it going. I agree. Hawk has 2 months to get it going because as far as I can tell, we need to be signing about 23-25 guys this year. That leaves room for at least 13 or so commits.

They better sign about 4 more DL. Hawk needs to oversign and play with a full 85 scholly team.

They better sign about 4 more DL. Hawk needs to oversign and play with a full 85 scholly team.

Couldn't agree more. I'd like to see at least 2 more DEs and at least 2 if not 3 DTs. Our DE recruiting seems somewhat poor, only a couple of known good prospects out there still, but there are a number of guys there for the taking at DT.

Couldn't agree more. I'd like to see at least 2 more DEs and at least 2 if not 3 DTs. Our DE recruiting seems somewhat poor, only a couple of known good prospects out there still, but there are a number of guys there for the taking at DT.

I was looking at the rivals list and there are plenty of DT's from hawaii and texas still there. They said they were leaving to hit texas hard, that would be help and be a nice start.

Disagree.. We need at least 6 DL(at least 3 of them DT but I'd like to have DE that weigh over 255)... Move the extra ones over to the OL for depth purposes..

If I was head coach I would have 10 commits from OL/DL in this recruiting cycle..

Games are won at the line of scrimmage.. All the great coaches understand that..

Disagree.. We need at least 6 DL(at least 3 of them DT but I'd like to have DE that weigh over 255)... Move the extra ones over to the OL for depth purposes..

If I was head coach I would have 10 commits from OL/DL in this recruiting cycle..

Games are won at the line of scrimmage.. All the great coaches understand that..

6? Has he signed 6 in four years? I'd love to sign as you say 10 from both lines, but we seem to be using those scholly's for 12 qb's and 15 kickers.

We have recruited for the OL pretty decently the last few years, DL not so much. For whatever reason, the staff seems to make the OL a priority, but doesn't seem to do the same for the DL. I think about 2 more OL guys would be fine.

6? Has he signed 6 in four years? I'd love to sign as you say 10 from both lines, but we seem to be using those scholly's for 12 qb's and 15 kickers.

That's part of the reason why we are 3-9.. :huh:

having a bunch of kickers who can't kick on scholarship just shows how clueless the staff is.

We had 3 kickers on scholarship this year: Goodman, Grossnickle, and DiLallo.

We had 3 quarterbacks on scholarship this year: Cody Hawkins, Tyler Hansen, and Clark Evans. Seth Lobata was a walk-on and I don't know who else. I assume you guys are getting at that we brought in Josh Moten with the chance to play QB last year. This year we are bringing in Hirschman, a true QB, and possibly Spond as well as Legaux. To be brutally honest, I doubt either one gets much of a real shot at QB, especially Spond. Legaux could be a pretty good spread option type of QB, I think he ends up at WR or DB though. That would put us at: 4 maybe 5 QBs on scholarship next year.

We had 3 kickers on scholarship this year: Goodman, Grossnickle, and DiLallo.

We had 3 quarterbacks on scholarship this year: Cody Hawkins, Tyler Hansen, and Clark Evans. Seth Lobata was a walk-on and I don't know who else. I assume you guys are getting at that we brought in Josh Moten with the chance to play QB last year. This year we are bringing in Hirschman, a true QB, and possibly Spond as well as Legaux. To be brutally honest, I doubt either one gets much of a real shot at QB, especially Spond. Legaux could be a pretty good spread option type of QB, I think he ends up at WR or DB though. That would put us at: 4 maybe 5 QBs on scholarship next year.

How many DT's do we have on scholarship?

Back