1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excellent read in the DP on Tony Jones

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

"I remember looking Coach Hagan in the eyes," Jones said. "I needed him to believe in me."

Jones had been named 2009 New Jersey Gatorade player of the year after rushing for 1,387 yards and 34 touchdowns to lead Don Bosco Prep to No. 1 in the final USA Today national high school rankings. But Hagan was the only recruiter from a major-college school to come calling.

"I looked at a guy that rushed for all those yards at a school that's a perennial power," Hagan said. "Plus, being from a rough place like Patterson (N.J.), those are 'lunch pail' guys. They'll do everything in their power to get out of that situation. You root for those guys."

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_21293023/colorado-tailback-tony-jones-beats-odds-be-starter

2. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Good article. But shameful to see that Hagan got Halkacized.

:doh:

3. Buffnik

Haha.

The thing with HaLk isn't that he used "coachspeak" all the time. You'll hear every coach in the nation talking about "doing the little things" and "taking things one game at a time" and "bringing your hard hat / lunch pail to work" and "not getting too high or too low".

The problem with HaLkins is that he said those things like he was some grand guru imparting incredible wisdom to us when he fell back on that stuff. He used it to avoid answering questions and he delivered it in a way that was talking down to reporters and fans.

Good example was the thing about "10 plays away" or whatever his number was. No ****, HaLk, the teams that make the big plays win the football games. Thanks for enlightening us. But guess what... it's not luck that makes that happen. It's ability, swagger, preparedness, competitiveness and mental toughness -- the very things you gutted from CU football.

4. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Meh. Just another preseason fluff piece. Wake me up on september 1st.

5. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I'm happy TJ put on that weight...he'll need it this season. Blacken is working his magic in the weight room on some players.

6. Buffnik

I like those fluff pieces. Helps me get to know the guys and cheer for them in a more personal way. Different strokes, I guess.

7. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

192lbs? Holy ****, that's HUGE at 5'7". Dude is going to be a beast I think if he lives up to his potential.

8. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

No magic, just strong lifting and eating well and in large quantities. What I do like is how Embree/Blacken has emphasized a good work ethic in the gym. Who was our OL under Pitt that couldn't gain enough weight? That always concerned me because I've known a lot of skinny guys that have a hard time putting on weight that were able to when they had good coaching that watched their lifts as well as diet.

I was worried last year because a lot of guys lost weight, but I think it's because Blacken wants lean, strong guys instead of powerlifters like Pittman. It seems like things like agility and flexibility have become a much bigger part of the program as well so I'm hoping the number of injuries lessens, minus freak accidents.

9. Buffnik

Yep. Blacken wants 300 pounders who could keep up in a Boulder pilates class.

10. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I'd be interested in the different training techniques involved to improve "playing on one leg" -- Blacken's approach.

11. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

TJ also mentions that he is doing well academically and talks with his profs on a daily basis. Says he intends to leave CU with a degree "maybe two."

Kid is working hard on the field and in school. Great to see that he has himself together and moving forward.

If he has put on that weight without losing any of his speed he is going to run through some tackles and be downfield before the play ends a bunch.

12. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Haha - how did I end up getting downvoted in the comments on that article? You turds suck

13. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

**** that. try hot yoga. i tried that with my wife.

what a miserable experience that was.

she did it all. about a half hour into it, i was down for the count. that was incredible.

14. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

You may be smarter than you look.

15. 4DemBuffs

oh. i am. i am just not good with words on this site. it is one of my downfalls. :smile2:

16. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Don't feel bad, 4Dem. That for which you lack in word choice is made up in disorganized thoughts.

17. 4DemBuffs

:lol: well, now i can sleep peacefully. :lol: