What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expectations for next year?

A good place to start would probably is, who are we starting next year?

F - Roberson
F - Harris-Trunks/X. Johnson?
G - Dimwiddie
G - Booker
G - Chen/Adams?

Some of those players are going to have to improve on offense.

A good place to start would probably is, who are we starting next year?

F - Roberson
F - Harris-Trunks/X. Johnson?
G - Dimwiddie
G - Booker
G - Chen/Adams?

Some of those players are going to have to improve on offense.
ummm no.

Just throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks. It seems like we ran 3 guards most of the year, not sure if that would change next year.

(this speculating on basketball stuff is completely new to me)
Haha, fair nuff. Chen starting as more than one of Boyle's motivational ploys would be the death knell for the year. Adams is apparently a practice god, but until he finds his mojo in game time, he's a huge liability. So expect at least 2 frosh to START next year.

Can Adams be a lot better? Seems like that kid has some talent. What is holding him back?

Next year can go many different ways. Roberson becomes the veteran, but can he become the leader? They'll need someone who they can depend on when they need to bust out of a slow point in the game.

I think you'll see the offense transition from a half-court perimeter passing team to more of a pick and roll and getting it inside to the big guys type of offense. Josh Scott should be hugely successful in this offense next year and I'd be disappointed if he doesn't average 12 points per game. This team will be a lot taller and more athletic. Booker and Gordon coming off the bench will be a huge force.

I'd set a floor of 18 wins and a ceiling of 25. This young team will likely struggle to find itself in the beginning of the year. I think they could make the tournament and win a game but 2013-2014 is the year you may see this team get to the sweet 16 or more.

I'd expect a lineup like this:
C/F - Scott
F - Roberson
F - Johnson
G - Dinwiddie
G - Adams

Bench (order of PT)
G - Booker
F - Gordon
F/C - Harris-Tunks
G - Chen

I forgot about Xavier, somehow. I actually got an endorphin rush when I was reminded he'll be on the floor next year. I think what we're going to see is a move towards a larger line-up, with X and Gordon (maybe Roberson, even?) playing a lot of SF. I hadn't heard the view that Spencer isn't a true PG before. Is that the consensus?

I was with those who thought we would see a bit of a dropoff next season due to a loss of senior leadership and an influx of new young (albiet talented) players. But then I remembered that the Buffs are going to Europe before we tip off next year's season. I think we're going to struggle a little bit over there but that the experience is going to forge this team into a force to be reckoned with. We can get a lot of the game time bugs worked out over there when it doesn't really count and come back to the States ready to dominate. We may not win the tournament again but I think next season is going to be just as exciting as this one was and that we'll again turn quite a few heads in the process.

I'll voice an opinion that may be unpopular.

I expect Adams to improve and really step up next year. He'll be able to use this off-season to develop/refine his schedule and patterns of dealing with the diabetes. As such, I think his workouts will be much more productive, and by time the season starts, he should be much more confident. I expect his minutes, and his offensive and defensive production to increase.

If this becomes a reality, it stands to reason that he'll become the upperclass leader as well.

I expect Adams to improve and really step up next year. He'll be able to use this off-season to develop/refine his schedule and patterns of dealing with the diabetes. As such, I think his workouts will be much more productive, and by time the season starts, he should be much more confident. I expect his minutes, and his offensive and defensive production to increase.

If this becomes a reality, it stands to reason that he'll become the upperclass leader as well.
love your opinion, just don't think it is right. would be HUGE for us tho.

I hope you are right. He is a talented kid who could help us out in a lot of ways if you are correct. He did show signs of improvement at the end of the year and with his medical situation under control he may step up big.

You may be right. He certainly shows flashes at times. IIRC, he had a pretty athletic bucket against Baylor.

He scored 27 points a game in high school, the talent is there. Its not like he is undersized or un-athletic. Its there somewhere, he just needs to dig deep and find it.

So, why Booker off the Bench? (Defense?)

Offense. He and his speed are a great asset to bring off the bench (see tape of win vs. UNLV). He will provide the lightning to go along with the thunderous dunks being thrown down by our big boys.

I expect that Ski gets more minutes than Adams, but he isn't as good of a defender, which is why I have Adams as a starter. I also expect Adams to progress in his 2nd year in the system.

Gordon will earn minutes with defense and rebounding. I wouldn't mind seeing Jenkins and Talton redshirt in order to spread our classes out a bit and let the develop like we're expecting them to.

I forgot about Xavier, somehow. I actually got an endorphin rush when I was reminded he'll be on the floor next year. I think what we're going to see is a move towards a larger line-up, with X and Gordon (maybe Roberson, even?) playing a lot of SF. I hadn't heard the view that Spencer isn't a true PG before. Is that the consensus?

We are going to look a lot like Baylor. Athletic bigs and some decent shooters on the outside. Length, and especially highly talented length, is a huge advantage. It will be fun to watch!!!

I was with those who thought we would see a bit of a dropoff next season due to a loss of senior leadership and an influx of new young (albiet talented) players. But then I remembered that the Buffs are going to Europe before we tip off next year's season. I think we're going to struggle a little bit over there but that the experience is going to forge this team into a force to be reckoned with. We can get a lot of the game time bugs worked out over there when it doesn't really count and come back to the States ready to dominate. We may not win the tournament again but I think next season is going to be just as exciting as this one was and that we'll again turn quite a few heads in the process.

How many games do we get in Europe and what is the level of competition?

This won't be totally comparable but should provide a good idea of what can be gained by a European trip... last summer Nebraska WBB did a European trip. 10 practices prior to the trip (5 early in the summer, 5 more before their departure), then an 11 day trip that included 4 games and associated practices. The games were against national teams that were to play for their countries in the World University Games tournament later last summer. That team was very similar make-up to our 2012 CU teams ... quite young, relying heavily on sophs and frosh.

This season, NU WBB ended up losing in the final of the Big 10 tournament and got in to the NCAA. Their coach identified the European trip as one of the key things that helped them have that level of success this season.

Back