What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expectations for Sefo in 2014

To me, the offense is still a work in progress. There are unanswered questions on the o/line, receivers, and tight end. Some of these questions play into the lack of an effective running game last year, one which needs to be better this year.

From Sefo? I want to see improvement with his progressions and reads, improvement in getting rid of the ball vice taking a sack, and I'd like to see him run a few times just to keep the D honest. Simple improvements, that's all I ask for.

Per daily camera;

Colorado quarterback Sefo Liufau has played in nearly four full games and been sacked just three times -- and never more than once in any game.

It's a big improvement for the CU offensive line, which gave up 10 sacks in the four-plus games that Connor Wood was under center.

"Sefo is able to move around in the pocket a little bit and he's starting to understand how to get a little bit better timing," CU head coach Mike MacIntyre said. "I think early on he was kind of holding the ball a little bit too long at times. But, he can hold it until the last second, too, and get rid of it. He has a knack at that."

Sefo is a team player; he would rather throw the ball away to keep the team in good field position; which help lower the team sack which he did against PAC 12 defense; Sefo will pick the team stats over individual stats any day; to include comp%.

My biggest worry about Sefo´s performance this year is less about him and more about the OL and lack of proven deep threat. Take PRich´s stats away from Sefo last year and it is not pretty. I think Sefo is a gamer and I would assume he improves his TD/INT ratio and passing efficiency. May take a hit on average completion.

But like many I am super concerned about our OL, especially the tackles. Nembot sucked as a pass protector and I am not convinced he is going to improve and we have none proven at LT who has been healthy. Again, I think he is a good QB and could end up being a great one, but our OL is going to have to gel and ideally someone emerges for LT or Callahan gets an exception.

Sefo's first look won't always be to PRich...so the key to the entire season is how well Sefo reads defenses. With all the main reps and a coach in his ear every play, the hope is that he will master the offense and while losing PRich hurts, the passing game could actually get better as the entire field will be in play.

If Callahan and Irwin are both available AND the Juco guy is decent, we might have a little breathing room.
I think of all that came to fruition we could have a +1-2 in the win column this year since our OL is clearly the weakest link on the team this year.

Our OL/TE is the key to our passing and running game; I think our QB, RBs, and WRs will shine if the BIG 6 gel together and create a stampede upfront.

Per daily camera;

Colorado quarterback Sefo Liufau has played in nearly four full games and been sacked just three times -- and never more than once in any game.

It's a big improvement for the CU offensive line, which gave up 10 sacks in the four-plus games that Connor Wood was under center.

"Sefo is able to move around in the pocket a little bit and he's starting to understand how to get a little bit better timing," CU head coach Mike MacIntyre said. "I think early on he was kind of holding the ball a little bit too long at times. But, he can hold it until the last second, too, and get rid of it. He has a knack at that."

Sefo is a team player; he would rather throw the ball away to keep the team in good field position; which help lower the team sack which he did against PAC 12 defense; Sefo will pick the team stats over individual stats any day; to include comp%.

Well, good. Looks like he's already working on things. /humor

We have some returners on the o/line, but it's still a huge question mark. My point stands - the internal clock needs to be working well. There will be times where he needs to unload it and not take the sack. Negative plays are killers when you're a less talented team.

If Sefo was coming off of some stellar season then we could worry about a sophomore slump. He is just coming off of a decent season as a freshman, nothing more. No reason that he can't continue to improve his game.

It's definitely not out of the question for him to have a sophomore slump since PRich is gone, I guess what I'm really wondering if someone has done a study on it or not to test that theory.

Of course not! This is AB, whatever the resident gurus say is FACT! ("sophomore slump", "no TE", "questionable OL ",no deep threat since PRich gone" etc.)

Do not dispute. Do not ask for actual studies. Or you will be labeled "insufferable ****." That is all! Dismissed!.......... erf! erf! erf!

I feel like without tini the scales on this site would be very unbalanced to the negative side.

0001.png

Tini is a fan. I actually like his zeal for the buffs. Maybe it isn't always realistic but this is a fan site. I wish I still cared as much as he does. It's still fun for him.

I feel like without tini the scales on this site would be very unbalanced to the negative side.

0001.png

Tini is a fan. I actually like his zeal for the buffs. Maybe it isn't always realistic but this is a fan site. I wish I still cared as much as he does. It's still fun for him.

7 years of Bohn ball beat the fun out of it for me. I am still a die hard fan, but...

If Sefo was coming off of some stellar season then we could worry about a sophomore slump. He is just coming off of a decent season as a freshman, nothing more. No reason that he can't continue to improve his game.

This is exactly right. Performance for a QB is some combination of skill (including the skill of the surrounding players on the offense), and luck. Players that have a "sophomore slump" are generally simply getting numbers that better reflect their actual skill level in their 2nd year, and again other factors like receivers that can get open and catch the ball, and an offensive line that can give the quarterback time to throw.

The top 20 Div. 1-A QBs last year (based on total passing yards) had a combined 65.2% completion % and a TD/INT ratio of 3.2. Sefo was at 59.4% and a ratio of 1.5. I expect he will certainly be able to achieve or exceed these numbers next year. If he can avoid picks and increase the completions by 5%, he would likely have a shot at between 2500 and 3000 yards for the season.

Based on all Div 1-A QBs last year, that would likely put him somewhere in the top 30 to top 50 in passing yards.

I expect him to not wear pink shoes with the black & gold uniform. I'll probably be disappointed.

Yes you will since Breast Cancer Awareness Day isn't going away

no, it doesn't seem to be. last few years I seem to recall it getting stretched into an entire month or more.

I don't like the INTs. I think he's capable of at least a 2-to-1 and maybe a 3-to-1. We also need him to keep his YPA up around 9 while completing over 65% of his passes.

That would be sweet, but would you publish that as your prognostication? He was 1.5-to-1 last year on TDs v Picks, 7 yards per attempt (with Richardson!), and 59% completions.

This is his sophomore year with no real TE, line instability and an uncertain WR situation.

To expect 65% completion seems very optimistic... and I'm very optimistic myself, so...

65% would make him one of the most accurate QB's in college football. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2013-passing.html and 9 YPA would be almost top 10. I'm not seeing it. Maybe in 1-2 years he can meet those metrics, but doing it this year would be worthy of us losing our minds.

This is his sophomore year with no real TE, line instability and an uncertain WR situation.

To expect 65% completion seems very optimistic... and I'm very optimistic myself, so...

65% would make him one of the most accurate QB's in college football. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2013-passing.html and 9 YPA would be almost top 10. I'm not seeing it. Maybe in 1-2 years he can meet those metrics, but doing it this year would be worthy of us losing our minds.

The TE situation will not be worse than last year with Kenney coming in as a receiving threat

Lindgren's offense is based on high completion% passes so it's not too far fetched.

The reason I mentioned the TE is because they're often a high percentage throw. You can rely on them as a checkdown. It's harder to have a high % with no safety hitch.

9 YPA was a typo. Meant 8. As to the rest... yes, I have very high expectations for Sefo to be extremely efficient this year.

Interested to see his growth with zone read plays. We all know the struggles there last year.

Back