What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expected Starters...?

Most of the positions on the depth chart seem to be fairly stable at who we expect to "start" or factor in with solid PT, but there are a few big question marks.

What players do you all expect will be starting at these positions:

Strong Safety. (Burney moved here to fill the gap in 2009)

Talk that Mahnke and Ewing will move to OLB makes this already thin spot even more so. Does Perkins or Polk shift over from FS? Did Sandersfeld do enough on special teams and limited duty to earn the inside shot? Will Parker Orms factor in at SS this year or will he be a FS? Will Bret Smith, Matt Meyer, or Cody McAninch make an impact? Can Arthur Jaffee fill this spot?

Left Guard/Center/Right Guard

Essentially all the "starters" return this year, but with an injury to Ryan Miller, return of MTM, and Juco signee Richter what do you all think will be the interior line for 2010?

LG: Ethan Adkins, Eric Richter, David Clark
C: Keenan Stevens, Mike Iltis, Shawn Daniels
RG: Ryan Miller, Blake Behrens, Max Tuioti-Mariner

Many of those players can play multiple positions so it makes it complicated to nail down an exact "depth chart".

Fullback/Goal-line/short yardage back
Who carries the rock on short yardage/goal-line situations?

Didn't richter play center at juco? That seemed to be a need, are they moving him to guard or giving him a shot at center?

Supposedly Tau has been thinking about it due to the logjam of OLs in his class.

I'd be for that experiment, although I am not sure he has enough "nasty" in his temperment to be a dominating NT. I just don't see Tau ever cracking the lineup on the OL.

Not going to speculate on who will kick FGs this year, but that sound you hear in the background is me knocking on wood.

The Nickel at punter for sure. If he proves more accurate, then kicker too. Who was the last guy on a good team to pull double duty and do it successfully? Damon Duval a few years ago at Auburn?

The kind of trivia question I hate to answer. And anyway, I was pretty late to the buzzer on that one. Ouch.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of the 3-4 for this team for a number of reasons. First is the DTs we have do not seem to be well suited to playing nose in a 3-4 alignment. They all seem to be more mobility and quickness types than plug up the middle and tie up 3 OL while not moving style of guys. I would much rather see us in a more traditional college alignment with 3 "true" DL, 3 LBs, and a DE who is a mix of both. This seems to be the talent mix we have as well. Guys like Cunningham and especially Pericek have the mobility and quickness to make some plays from the DT position, Bonsu is more of a traditional stuffer but also showed some athleticism. I keep hearing good things about West and we know that if healthy Kasa can be a difference maker at DE. Put them in a 3-4 and we bury our playmakers.

I also have always believed that it is a mistake to follow the trends and the trend now is toward 3-4. There are a limited number of recruits with the specific skillset to play 3-4 and as more teams play it more teams will be prepared to beat it. We have been chasing trends on offense for four years now and it has gotten us nothing but a bunch of losses.

I want to see this team build a D based on the talent that is here, stick with it, and win with it.

FWIW I watched Kasa whenever he was in view at the last practice and there is no indication he was ever injured. Looks strong.

Back