What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Question

jpbuff

I understand that we are behind a lot of other school in the country as far as facilities go, but is that what is keeping the big time recruits from coming here. Or is it the fact that our program seems to be on a downward trend the last 6-8 years. I believe we had 11 recruits here last weekend and other than the ones that have already committed to us none of the others pulled the trigger. Seems we always hear they love their visit but we can't seem to close the deal. What are we missing?

I don't have anything to compare what we have to what others have. I guess what I'm wondering is if someone came in and donated millions into the football program, what would that money be spent on? What would everyone like to see that we don't have right now?

Our facilities are behind other schools in the Big12 and to some degree that has hurt with competition for recruits.

IMO the bigger issues are:

1. "Scandal"- Back when this happened we cut scholarships, and we lost recruits because of the perceived problems on campus. This is what started our decline.
2. Wins- We dont have many over the last 5 years. Recruits today were in middle school when the "scandal" happened so it should be a non factor. What they see today is a team that loses many more games than they win.

I understand that we are behind a lot of other school in the country as far as facilities go, but is that what is keeping the big time recruits from coming here. Or is it the fact that our program seems to be on a downward trend the last 6-8 years. I believe we had 11 recruits here last weekend and other than the ones that have already committed to us none of the others pulled the trigger. Seems we always hear they love their visit but we can't seem to close the deal. What are we missing?

I don't have anything to compare what we have to what others have. I guess what I'm wondering is if someone came in and donated millions into the football program, what would that money be spent on? What would everyone like to see that we don't have right now?

Lack of top notch recruiters...and a poor recruiting plan. CU seems to run all over the country recruiting instead of working to build in roads into the recruiting hotbeds, late on getting in on some recruits, etc.

There are some places in the Big 12 that we should never, ever lose recruits to.

When I went to Manhattan a few weeks ago we got a room at the Clarion Motel which just happened to be the KSU team hotel. The night before home games KSU stays at the Clarion Motel and eats catered meals out of to go boxes from Chili's. No joke. CU stays at the Omni Interlocken and has much better catering.

Lack of top notch recruiters...and a poor recruiting plan. CU seems to run all over the country recruiting instead of working to build in roads into the recruiting hotbeds, late on getting in on some recruits, etc.

I don't have problems with recruiting all over the country. J Forrest West looks to be a solid player and he's from Connecticut - not a CU recruiting hotbed.

I really don't think it's the facilities... we're far behind other programs in the academic and training aspects imo

Facilities is definitely part of it.

My rule of thumb in recruiting is that if something that can be a selling point is not helping you... then it's hurting you.

For football, we need to expand Dal Ward, get ourselves a jumbotron and build a permanent indoor practice facility.

For basketball, we need to make major improvements to Coors, expand Dal Ward, and build our indoor practice facility.

I really don't think it's the facilities... we're far behind other programs in the academic and training aspects imo

Slider would you care to elaborate on the academic and training aspects and where we're behind. Do you mean that it's harder to get in CU or that the tutoring etc. is behind what's given I mean offered at the OU's and UT's?

Facilities are part of it - the most important part is making the kids believe in the coaches. With the current situation that is a hard sell. Imagine you interview with a number of people for a certain job. You tour the facility. Its all good. You get the job offer but they say you will have a different bosses. The facilities mattter little. Having a different bosses, even though its the same job, matters alot.

I think we don't have an academic support system that is good enough to compete... one of the reasons Diante's grandma disliked us. This includes lack of tutors, cramped space etc

I think we don't have an academic support system that is good enough to compete... one of the reasons Diante's grandma disliked us. This includes lack of tutors, cramped space etc

Absolutely agree. We need to get better in this area.

Yep. I know of some schools that have a tutor for every single class... let's just say that's not the case at CU. Hopefully that $4.5? million donation helps out in this

The video boards and video ribbons in Austin and Morgantown are so much better than that 19" Victorola in folsom. Any recruit standing on the 50 yard line of DRM gazing up at a 10 story high-def image on the Longhorn Godzillatron is going to have a favorable impression.

****ervision and OSU have video walls too.

I'd be happy if $5M were invested in a state of the art video system and wi-fi network. I friggen hate how poorly my phone works in stadiums.

Wins. And coaches. I'd imagine that anybody who's paying attention might also be a little concerned as to whether or not their head coach would still be here next spring.

Facilities, as long as they aren't a total dump, are overrated.

You sell what you have over the competition. You guys sell the climate, scenery and access to other activities. NU sells crowd size, passion and facilities.

Some kids just prefer different things no matter how great you think your "things" are.

You can dump a ton of money into facilities and have it not make a difference if Joe Blow wants someone else.

How many of your recruits have actually said I'm declining CU because of inadequate facilities?

CU's biggest hindrance is certainly not facilities.

Back