What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facility Construction Tour - Allbuffs Feature

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
Allbuffs was lucky enough to join a tour with some other fans to get a first hand look at the new facilities and where they are at in the construction process. We don't have pictures of the entire facility, as the lighting was crummy in most places, but we were able to get lots of photos of the main pieces. Also unfortunate that the weather was so poor, but I'm sure you guys will be able to appreciate what the views will be like on clear days.

The photos come courtesy of Wade Hiner, a good friend of mine. The photos are his property and he has watermarked them. If you are going to use them somewhere else, then please credit him. Also, if anyone needs a badass photographer/videographer, then let me know and I can get you in touch with him (he's also done our shirts, stickers, custom design work for much of the site, etc.)

Finally, I'm trying to post most of the photos that don't show other tour members. If you do see another tour member that you know, then please refrain from identifying them. Thanks!

Hydrotherapy and Recovery

What the renderings show us

ne-11.jpg

What we see today

19716_10103122589213083_2487446848913439099_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: You can see the first pool at the front of the photo, behind it is another pool of the same size. Each pool will be set to a precise temperature, and as the players come back from practice, they will walk through each pool. This is stolen from Oregon, but the thought is that the water temperature will cause the muscles to react in a manner that helps speed their recovery and prevent soreness.

Not visible, but to the right of these pools is the general sports training facility, which will have some additional pools, and will house the full training staff where players will be seen.

wsp's notes: They were clear that while other sports will be able to use these training facilities at times, these are football facilities. The other sports will use the Dal Ward center for most of their training/lifting/etc.

Locker Room

ne-03-2.jpg

B9cDQkoCQAAxQ2p.jpg-large.jpeg

What we see today

11182235_10103122602356743_8158432868684148429_n.jpg

11114254_10103122602311833_6201772776850705767_n.jpg

21894_10103122602256943_7355625021960091517_n.jpg

Dio's notes: This room is very large, but it isn't circular like FLounder was claiming in another thread. The outside of the room will have lockers, and then each of those 'islands' will also have lockers. Coach Mac will be able to stand in the very center of the room to address the team. It also leads directly to the thunder chute (not pictured). Also, you can tell from the pictures, but each locker will be wired up as well.

wsp's notes: The room is shaped like a big X with the idea for HCMM to command the entire room's attention from the center of the X. I think it will be very cool.

Weight Room

None! (if any of you know of some, let me know where and I will update this post)

What we see today

11026122_10103122602366723_3472073856031028752_n.jpg

10423736_10103122602241973_8106180438616860634_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: The top photo shows about 1/2 the space that will eventually be the weight room. It extends south (behind the photographer) a good ways as well. Again, photo isn't going to do justice to the size of this weight room. It is going to be massive, and it will look out directly onto the IPF via glass garage doors that can be raised or lowered as needed.

The second photo is from many levels above. However, that concrete platform that is featured in the photo is actually the roof of part of the weight room. Obviously the big hole is the IPF.

wsp's notes: The floor is designed well. The players will go straight from the IPF into the weight room, which is directly connected to the training facility/therapy pools, which lead right to the showers, which lead right to the lockers. All of the halls will be decked out with history and tradition of the program. No wasted space or wasted movement, very clear vision of what the players are trying to accomplish.

Scotch notes:
I liked how they're setting up the weight room adjacent to the IPF, with the locker room and medical/training rooms down the hall. Everything in a central location. Whoever was involved in planning this facility did their homework.

Indoor Practice Facility (IPF)

ipf-01-740x357.jpg

ipf-07-300x169.jpg

Inside-view.jpg

What we see today

11038990_10103122602401653_6613980703504422666_n.jpg

11193341_10103122602411633_2763496096971179861_n.jpg

11151050_10103122602172113_4782117536043988978_n.jpg

10423736_10103122602241973_8106180438616860634_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: Obviously this one is still a long ways away, but the hole they've dug is MASSIVE. The first few pictures are actually taken from the weight room, which will look out on the practice field with some glass garage doors that can be opened or closed as needed. This spot is also going to host the parking garage. You will notice that we're obviously taking a huge chunk out of Franklin. CU is going to make up for the lost tailgating by providing an 'in-stadium' tailgating experience in the IPF. Beer, food, kids games, the works. Once you're in that tailgate area, you're in the stadium, and it will be open during the game as well (other tour members, please confirm your understanding of this). They're looking for ways to improve the fan experience, and keep people in the stadium instead of leaving at half-time.

Team Meeting Room

CDr1frIUsAAHaZg.jpg

What we see today

11148605_10103122602526403_4451529919658311458_n.jpg

13692_10103122602581293_7277357687975404866_n.jpg

11182315_10103122602626203_8327156566077860450_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: Nothing spectacular in these photos. This is the big new team meeting room. This room will house the entire room. What is interesting, however, is that there are a TON of additional rooms (not pictured and we didn't see). They will have an offensive and defensive meeting room, as well as meeting rooms for each position group. The team will no longer be cramped in Dal Ward.

Wsp Notes:

Like the thought put into the practice facility/locker room floor, the meeting rooms are on the same level as the training table area, and this floor will also be connected to the Dal Ward academic areas via bridge so the players can quickly move from meetings to training table to tutoring/study hall and back. This combined with how the locker room/training center/weight room/ practice facility floor is laid out was a big piece of me thinking "holy ****, they put some real thought into this." They'll be able to quickly and efficiently move through all related activities on the same floor of the building.

One other tidbit, they mentioned the new rules on nutrition and feeding athletes and how CU has responded by hiring an entire nutritional staff. I think that's great news and another sign they want to compete not just meet the rules. (30 pieces of flair!)

High Performance Medical Center

None! (if you have some, let me know and I will update this post)

What we see today

11068425_10103122602461533_7038793873146756558_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: We did not get to explore this floor much, basically just a quick stop to look at the blueprint. That being said, there was lots of cool information conveyed. This whole floor is being leased out to a few hospitals, including Anschutz. It will include offices for doctors exam rooms for patients. There will be imaging equipment, including an MRI. It should put us on level with some of the medical facilities that support Olympic athletes in Colorado Springs. The lease on this floor is approximately $800k/year, plus the hospitals put up a substantial but unspecified payment to support the construction of the new facilities. Their lease runs for 15 years (don't quote me on that number)

Wsp Notes: This floor is big. They view it as both a revenue generator and a prestige element.

Champions Club

champ-club.jpg

Northeast-building-view.png

What we see today

10406356_10103122602641173_2902335858249921705_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: Not a lot of share from this level. Most of you have seen this go up last year and over construction cams. This level will be for folks who access those seats in the NE corner.

Wsp Notes: You can access the champions club from the existing club level. The space will be excellent and a recruiting tool as well as a fan marketing tool.

Coaches Level

None! (if you have one, let me know and I will update this post)

What we see today

21894_10103122602157143_4872488304680930146_n.jpg

524134_10103122602177103_7659480239988340495_n.jpg

11167709_10103122602775903_1610026704262943101_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: Right above the Champions Club will be the coaches offices. Above that is administrative offices, which I don't have pictures for. We did have Coach Leavitt with us on the tour, and he saw his office for the first time... which was cool, but the pictures didn't come out. There will be a balcony where coaches can go sit on.

Wsp Notes: HC's office is very big and with an awesome view. In addition to the recruit's lounge on the 3rd floor (near the locker room, right?), there is a "closing room" on the coaches level as well. Looks like it will be a nice space with an amazing view of the flatirons. They talked about it more as the room to close on the parents of recruits. But again, it shows that on each level they're thinking about how they can use these facilities to get where they want.

Rooftop Terrace

What the renderings show us (lol)

rooftop-sidebar-2.jpg

What we see today

11038990_10103122602331793_5510600337453422999_n.jpg

11038990_10103122602331793_5510600337453422999_n.jpg

11159448_10103122602426603_4153877842102847629_n.jpg

19094_10103122602516423_2448502212462678205_n.jpg

11193263_10103122602551353_4934509637055968039_n.jpg

20886_10103122602706043_3526431301014402517_n.jpg

11193273_10103122602696063_4478729233582561736_n.jpg

Dio's Notes: From a fans perspective, this is going to be incredible. It will offer a near 360 of Boulder. To gain access, you can buy season passes, or they will also sell passes for specific games. The terrace will have beer, as well as fire pits. Our guides said that they are driving this for a younger crowd, and the passes will be pretty cheap (I think I heard them say something about $10 - $15 for a game, but they are still working it out). One guide mentioned the Rockies party deck quite a few times.... so think that direction. I personally think this terrace will be unrivaled in the Pac-12, and there won't be much to compete with it anywhere in the country... from a fan experience perspective.

Wsp Notes: The rendering looks super cheesy and ****ty compared to what we saw the place is going to be on Sunday. It will be, as you say Dio, a crown jewel of our campus. They are looking to generate big revenue all year round as well -- weddings, corporate events, etc.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they said you can get from the suites directly to the roof top as well.

Not Pictured
There is plenty of stuff we don't have pictures of, but we know is coming in, including a players lounge, a training table, barbershop, thunder chute, equipment room, and a recruiting closing room. Most of the facility is football specific, although there will be some administrative offices, as well as some rooms and spaces that other sports can use.

Final Thoughts
Rick George gets it. These facilities are not just about 'catching up' or being 'good enough'. They are about being the best. I don't think they are going to be best in the country, and they may fall behind the Oregon's of the world, but there are going to put us in the cream of the football crop from a facilities standpoint. CU has picked the best ideas from all our rivals, and combined them into the total package.

Additionally, Rick understands that money is going to be king. He's creative in how he is leveraging the new facility to increase revenue streams. As our guide said 'everything is on the table'. Concerts and events at Folsom will probably start happening again.

Finally - Rick is definitely looking to improve the fan experience. We saw that with the beer gardens this past season, and it is going to continue as the facilities get completed.

This is a very exciting time for us. Rick George is the right AD. Let's hope that the football program can begin to take advantage of of all this new support, and we can find our way back to the top.

Rooftop party terrace is going to be so awesome. Really unique feature for CU that will probably get us rave reviews from stadium visitors.

The med facility is going to put us at the top of parent's wish lists. Guaranteed. World class medicine directly above the playing field, how could you not want to send your kid here. Also a unique feature for CU.

Love the layout and thought behind the team levels. I know HCMM had a large input to the design but I guarantee having a facility laid out to be efficient and organized will attract other coaches when we do hire the next one. Also I like the coaching office level. It will be nice for their families to have a designated location to watch the games and hang out until the coach is done. Doesn't hurt that the view from their balcony is going to be incredible.

The leverage of the IPF as a training space, an event venue, an in game tailgate location, and a multi sport facility really is top notch. Ever since I saw the way oregon was using their IPF for tailgates and things like that I had been hoping our AD "saw the light". I am interested in what they do with the upper fields and how much tailgating will be allowed there. The parking garage will be great for the blue hairs that want to be close but aren't necessarily interested in traditional tailgating.

Folsom wish list for the future:

Fix the damn sound system.
Re-paint Folsom and replace rusted out accessories/bleachers
Bathroom upgrades stadium wide
Permanent concession upgrades stadium wide
Permanent team store
Permanent retail and restaurant locations along colorado (really would love to see a microbrewery run by the bio/chem department and the institution of a B.S. in Fermentation Sciences)
Replace bleachers between the 30's with seats
Demo and replace Balch, include NW corner construction to match/compliment Champions Center
Renovate East Side boxes (last on the list for now, but by the time all the other items on this list are complete it will be necessary)

Thanks for the write up Dio, rep delivered. Glad to see they definitely stepped up to the plate with a thorough and smart design.

Last edited:
Since we are out of barzil, I will add my thoughts from there to here as well. Probably mostly duplicate at this point.

What I remember:

• Medical Facilities: This public/private partnership will take up a whole floor and will basically be a small [strike]Hospital[/strike] clinic open to the public. The private parties will pay $800k per year and have a 15 or 20 year lease to the space. They also had to put down a "capital expenditure" as part of the deal that was "crucial" to getting the new facility built. It will normally act as a sports science [strike]hospital[/strike] clinic (they have all the toys) for Boulder just like the Olympic sports center in Colorado Springs. This facility will be directly above the medical/physical therapy offices for the football team, and will also be directly accessible from the Dal Ward bridge for other athletes. So the football team will basically have a full [strike]hospital[/strike] clinic with top sports doctors accessible in case something happens that the direct team trainers can't handle or want advice on.

• Team Treatment rooms: the walk through pools are next to the locker room and are really big, and in addition to the walk through pools will have 3 others with different purposes. The "walk through" pools were stolen from Oregon. They look about the same size, maybe bigger. The team medical/training staff has their offices right next to all this.

• Locker Room: Huge! Basically a big X with room for lockers for 135 guys. In the plans I wondered how it would look (seemed cramped). I'm happy to say it will be more than big enough for everybody and that the "X" was well implemented. Huge high ceilings, lots of hookups for TVs etc.

• BEER: The rooftop deck is going to be a beer garden with all sorts of amenities and (unless something changes) will be available to normal ticket holders who choose to pay an additional fee ($10-15 per game) for access to the area. The rooftop has covered spots and will have some firepits and other heat sources - for you guys with women, remember this for colder games. Should have TVs etc. Think of the Rockies party deck, but smaller, without the themed bars and a WAY better view. Plus, not baseball. The views from up here are incredible and nearly 360 - you can look out on downtown boulder and everything else from the side that doesn't face the field. VERY excited about this

• Coach's level: They really designed this level well. Not only do most of the coaches' offices face "the coach's balcony" which is this beautiful flagstone balcony that overlooks the champions club so the coaches' families can come watch the game in peace (opening up a box suite for purchase). This balcony is really impressive. The whole level was designed with recruiting in mind. I noticed the hallways were extremely wide, and the guides mentioned this was on purpose - they want to bring recruits off the elevators and into this big hall way which broadens out into a very large and open view of Folsom. They then turn right and walk past the coaches' offices into the big room by HCMM's office. Very nice.

• It's big. If you couldn't tell by this theme. And the areas that need it have tons of extra space (high ceilings, etc)

• Weight room is going to be huge, and there is one hallway connecting the locker room to Folsom, the IPF, and the weight room. Between the hallway and the locker room there is a ring room where they will keep the natty champ trophy and all the championship rings etc. The guys will be seeing this every time they pass between the locker room and any of the facility.

• Players' lounge is next to the champions club, which will be training table for everyone every day it's not in use for game day. Smart stuff. Player's lounge isn't huge, but seems like a good spot.

• I asked, and it was confirmed that there will be a connection between club level and the new facility.

• No infinity pool. I asked if that could be added, but the project VP that was there just looked at me like I wasn't funny.

• This place will print money: THey will open up the IPF as part of the IN STADIUM EXPERIENCE for game days. The IPF will be full of places to buy food and drink and will also have spots for games etc. Basically an in game tailgate experience.

• Gold Lot: Survival TBD. I think it's unlikely unless they end up installing field turf there, which is unlikely until they install it at Folsom. Could have a domino effect on other tailgating locations.

Every single thing had a purpose. Incredible design. Great experience. CU's Development Staff was amazingly helpful and persistent in making this happen, down to having Coach Leavitt bump into us and join us (although they swore that was an accident). Hats off to them.

Rooftop party terrace is going to be so awesome. Really unique feature for CU that will probably get us rave reviews from stadium visitors.

The med facility is going to put us at the top of parent's wish lists. Guaranteed. World class medicine directly above the playing field, how could you not want to send your kid here. Also a unique feature for CU.

Love the layout and thought behind the team levels. I know HCMM had a large input to the design but I guarantee having a facility laid out to be efficient and organized will attract other coaches when we do hire the next one. Also I like the coaching office level. It will be nice for their families to have a designated location to watch the games and hang out until the coach is done. Doesn't hurt that the view from their balcony is going to be incredible.

The leverage of the IPF as a training space, an event venue, an in game tailgate location, and a multi sport facility really is top notch. Ever since I saw the way oregon was using their IPF for tailgates and things like that I had been hoping our AD "saw the light". I am interested in what they do with the upper fields and how much tailgating will be allowed there. The parking garage will be great for the blue hairs that want to be close but aren't necessarily interested in traditional tailgating.

Folsom wish list for the future:

Fix the damn sound system.
Re-paint Folsom and replace rusted out accessories/bleachers
Bathroom upgrades stadium wide
Permanent concession upgrades stadium wide
Permanent team store
Permanent retail and restaurant locations along colorado (really would love to see a microbrewery run by the bio/chem department and the institution of a B.S. in Fermentation Sciences)
Replace bleachers between the 30's with seats
Demo and replace Balch, include NW corner construction to match/compliment Champions Center
Renovate East Side boxes (last on the list for now, but by the time all the other items on this list are complete it will be necessary)

Thanks for the write up Dio, rep delivered. Glad to see they definitely stepped up to the plate with a thorough and smart design.

I feel like Balch will be up next since it doesn't serve a purpose for anything anymore.

I feel like Balch will be up next since it doesn't serve a purpose for anything anymore.

I have a feeling a few of the things on my wish list will be rolled into that project, but I think they sould do the sound and paint then move focus to Coors. Then back to Folsom. This would let them have some time in the new complex and evaluate what they still want/need and be able to incorporate those new elements smartly into the new design.

This project is amazing. They've used the word "transformative" and it's not hyperbole. This is world class stuff, folks. CU will take a backseat to no one in the facilities game.

This project is amazing. They've used the word "transformative" and it's not hyperbole. This is world class stuff, folks. CU will take a backseat to no one in the facilities game.

As long as they do not stop here. They must always improve them, add to them, etc.

Agreed. Sure, maybe Oregon's team meeting room has gold filigree, and Texas' chairs have genuine longhorn leather, but NO ONE puts the whole package together quite like CU does as far as how all the different parts and pieces come together - you can tell that the whole facility and layout of things was put together as part of a cohesive system. Further, the medical facility is really unique and something no one else has (that I know of).

Agreed. Sure, maybe Oregon's team meeting room has gold filigree, and Texas' chairs have genuine longhorn leather, but NO ONE puts the whole package together quite like CU does as far as how all the different parts and pieces come together - you can tell that the whole facility and layout of things was put together as part of a cohesive system. Further, the medical facility is really unique and something no one else has (that I know of).

How unique is it for a college program to have in-house access to an MRI? That is a very nice upgrade for us, if you ask me.

Certainly no else is able to offer Olympic type altitude training to an athlete combined with the state-of-the-art nutrition, bio testing and training equipment along with world-class rehab & recovery facilities housed within their college football stadium. There are first world countries with Olympic training facilities that don't measure up to this.

Another small tidbit that isn't flashy but continues to make the point about running the AD like a business, all of the AD staff offices will be housed on one floor of the new facilities with the AD's office front and center. Right now they are spread throughout the stadium or even on other parts of campus.

They also want to make the new facilities the primary entry point to not only the stadium, but also the campus as a whole. You can see that in the renderings.

Really impressed with how well thought out things were, gathering ideas from around the country with a focus on athletes time and well-being, and interconnected spaces. I'm sure some things will come up they didn't envision but it isn't for lack of thought and planning.

From the Mortensen walkthrough... Looks like they're going to move the "Brick" tradition and have them housed right outside the weight room.
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 12.50.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 12.50.55 PM.png

Love it. Really really like they kept it.

I do, too.

Focus needs to be on the current players and team. But it's also important to maintain the pageantry and tradition of a college football program. There's a balance of connecting folks and nurturing pride/standards with keeping the spotlight on the now. I think they're striking the right chord.

I do, too.

Focus needs to be on the current players and team. But it's also important to maintain the pageantry and tradition of a college football program. There's a balance of connecting folks and nurturing pride/standards with keeping the spotlight on the now. I think they're striking the right chord.

Think it also may be a bit more tangible and accessible for the players now. For example now, a game mvp or a captain or a senior or whoever can actually place the brick in the wall themselves, instead of having the brick painted during the night by a facilities engineer.

so what do you see us using Balch for in the future. We no longer need a terrible track there. I don't know what potential there is.

edit: so in the video they posted, they show a team store @1:45 in the video. Did they talk about it? It looks like it is supposed to be on the same floor as the weight room and locker room (and IPF)

Last edited:
Back