What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fataagi ineligible?...

:thumbsup:thanks I will and you too...its a battle every day:smile2:
You go to a lot of practices? I would like to hear your opinion on what you see. I am interested in our TB's with Polk and DS

I'll probably stop by tomorrow. I don't get off of work untill 5 so i'll catch the last part of the practices. I can't wait untill they put on the pads.

Thank god cfb is back! :woot:

No not at all.. I have been tobacco free for 1 week and my brain to mouth filter has been misplaced. Or I guess in this case brain to fingers filter.:thumbsup:

Ive been tobacco free for two days and im freaking the **** out! PUSH THROUGH IT.

I bet you are not eating apples... :( doomed to failure.

Havent made it to the grocery store yet. Dont worry I smelled my roommate tonight and was like, wow, I could get twice the you know what if I didnt smell like that. :thumbsup:

Havent made it to the grocery store yet. Dont worry I smelled my roommate tonight and was like, wow, I could get twice the you know what if I didnt smell like that. :thumbsup:

Good...

It'll be tough for the next month though. Stick it out....

Suprise, suprise, another OL done for the year due to grades. It's great that our OL depth sucks balls again and we haven't even put the pads on yet.

CU can't afford players getting suspended and being done for academics,we don't have the depth.

More youngsters on the o-line, better back off those expectations of scott rushing for 200 vs csu,our OL is now a concern IMHO.

:thumbsup:thanks I will and you too...its a battle every day:smile2:
You go to a lot of practices? I would like to hear your opinion on what you see. I am interested in our TB's with Polk and DS

I'm interesed in who is going to block for them. We are weak at the OG spot now with kai and faatagi gone.

I'm interesed in who is going to block for them. We are weak at the OG spot now with kai and faatagi gone.
It looks like Head was fighting for the job anyway per the dept chart. However we are very young across the board.

He's at CU now? If so that's a nice pickup. I'm thinking about an OL with miller,solder,sanders,maiava and faatagi...that would have been solid.

Valdejz, everyone said maiava was going to lose his spot because the freshman are better.

Who do you see filling the two og spots up for grabs?

Head,bahr, iltis and what about tuioti, could he start or because of the injury(healed nicely from all reports) will he redshirt?

I hate to see 2 freshman starting at og with our schedule. Scott and polk may have to get a lot of yards on their own.

Last edited:

How do we know how weak we are without Faatagi? The guy never played one down of football for the University of Colorado. I think you're overreacting just a bit. There was no assurance he'd even start. So all that's really happened is that the depth on the line has suffered - a little. You make it sound like he was the lynch-pin that held the O-line together.

How do we know how weak we are without Faatagi? The guy never played one down of football for the University of Colorado. I think you're overreacting just a bit.

:yeahthat:

the academic casualties are concerning, though. who oversees the techniques that the tutors use? are the student-athletes academic styles identified and matched to instruction? do the tutors have the means to employ multi-modal instruction? if they rely on aural instruction, that could be why so many athletes are falling off the bus - only a small percentage of people are successful with that mode of learning.

perhaps i need to move back to colorado and revolutionize the instructional methods of faculty and tutoring staff? there should be NO REASON for academic failure given the resources the university provides - however, if their methodolgy is not sound, very little learning can take place. maybe our university needs to better serve the student athletes by working smarter with them.

:yeahthat:

the academic casualties are concerning, though. who oversees the techniques that the tutors use? are the student-athletes academic styles identified and matched to instruction? do the tutors have the means to employ multi-modal instruction? if they rely on aural instruction, that could be why so many athletes are falling off the bus - only a small percentage of people are successful with that mode of learning.

perhaps i need to move back to colorado and revolutionize the instructional methods of faculty and tutoring staff? there should be NO REASON for academic failure given the resources the university provides - however, if their methodolgy is not sound, very little learning can take place. maybe our university needs to better serve the student athletes by working smarter with them.
It's not the schools fault. The student have every opportunity to get the help they need. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. If the school was in fault I believe you would see this problem more than you do.

How do we know how weak we are without Faatagi? The guy never played one down of football for the University of Colorado. I think you're overreacting just a bit. There was no assurance he'd even start. So all that's really happened is that the depth on the line has suffered - a little. You make it sound like he was the lynch-pin that held the O-line together.

Good point Sacky, I'm pretty much over Fataagi. The guy had potential and it's a shame but it's spilled milk at this point.

It is weird though, CU has a lot of trouoble getting and keeping OL. Shader, Werth, Martin, Tipton, Scales, Sutton, Maiava, Fataagi, Boyer, Collins, Simon/Palazzi (what was up with the name change anyway?), Backowski, Hauck, Borders, Jones, that's a bunch of OL who, for whatever reason, didn't do much at CU because they never played or left.

Last edited:
Who do you see filling the two og spots up for grabs?

Head,bahr, iltis and what about tuioti, could he start or because of the injury(healed nicely from all reports) will he redshirt?

I hate to see 2 freshman starting at og with our schedule. Scott and polk may have to get a lot of yards on their own.

If MTM is healthy I think he can win a starting job, just not right away like Kai. MTM will be rusty after missing his senior season but has the highest potential of any of our guards. I think Head will win out the other starting job at the beginning of the season to add some experience to the line but could see Bahr/Iltis pushing hard for PT towards the middle of the season. If Givens didn't weight 250 he could be fighting for the open guard spot too.

less then 5% of our 105 players are academically inelgible. Lets compare that lower then 2.0 GPA to our student body at large and see how it does. I think a 5% rate is pretty damn good!

It's not the schools fault. The student have every opportunity to get the help they need. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. If the school was in fault I believe you would see this problem more than you do.

I do not see this as a "fault" issue. Pointing fingers will not resolve the fact that students are not passing. Changing the way that educators approach their students can move mountains - and there is a wealth of research that supports that idea.

The University cannot change the way that lectures are given. That is a professional decision for each professor to make. However, the Athletic Department has absolute control over how tutoring sessions work. Employing sound teaching strategies can only benefit students.

While you cannot force a horse to drink water, you would be suprised how many absolutely will drink from the spring of knowledge if you just know how to handle the horse.

Last edited:
less then 5% of our 105 players are academically inelgible. Lets compare that lower then 2.0 GPA to our student body at large and see how it does. I think a 5% rate is pretty damn good!

not bad. but as an educator, my standards are at 100%. :wink2: i also think that if the athletic department were to create a study program that was effective, it would speak volumes about our university, and could be a positive tool for recruiting purposes - parents would appreciate that.

Don't forget about Shawn Daniels either, he's up to 290. I really don't see MTM playing this year. He did not play last year, is coming off a serious injury and (I suspect) is not in anywhere near the shape that Head, Bahr, Daniels or Iltis are.

:nod:

I would like to see how effective the ski boot methodology might be in motivating these kids to take the academic portion of their CU experience a little more seriously... :huh:

:nod:

I would like to see how effective the ski boot methodology might be in motivating these kids to take the academic portion of their CU experience a little more seriously... :huh:

that is SO not a classroom technique. it is a interrelational motivational tool. :smile2:

From CU's site it looks like 16-17% of all students leave before their Sophomore year, given that a significant number of those departures are grade relate I guess the football team isnt doing so poorly. Still it hurts to lose all the scholarship players. We need to re-instate Phys-ed as a Major.

http://www.colorado.edu/pba/records/time/gradrt.htm

Back