What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fataagi ineligible?...

I vote for LB and the skiboot technique. You can lead a horse to water, but if you can't make him drink it, you can always kick him into it with a skiboot:smile2:

As others have pointed out, it's hard to get too upset about this because we have no clue what we missed. I suggest that starting Fataagi would have been similar to starting a freshman since he's not seen the field for a real game in 2 or 3 years. So, from that perspective not much has changed.

It is disappointing to lose players to academics but I am happy that CU has standards that they adhere to and don't have majors such as Phys-ed.

I do not see this as a "fault" issue. Pointing fingers will not resolve the fact that students are not passing. Changing the way that educators approach their students can move mountains - and there is a wealth of research that supports that idea.

The University cannot change the way that lectures are given. That is a professional decision for each professor to make. However, the Athletic Department has absolute control over how tutoring sessions work. Employing sound teaching strategies can only benefit students.

While you cannot force a horse to drink water, you would be suprised how many absolutely will drink from the spring of knowledge if you just know how to handle the horse.
Well Said...I was not trying to point blame, I was just stating that if this was on the university as a whole i would believe we see more of the same. IMO

The University cannot change the way that lectures are given. That is a professional decision for each professor to make. However, the Athletic Department has absolute control over how tutoring sessions work. Employing sound teaching strategies can only benefit students.

The athletic department is hiring for athletic study hall "monitors". Pays $10 an hour.

:yeahthat:

the academic casualties are concerning, though. who oversees the techniques that the tutors use? are the student-athletes academic styles identified and matched to instruction? do the tutors have the means to employ multi-modal instruction? if they rely on aural instruction, that could be why so many athletes are falling off the bus - only a small percentage of people are successful with that mode of learning.

perhaps i need to move back to colorado and revolutionize the instructional methods of faculty and tutoring staff? there should be NO REASON for academic failure given the resources the university provides - however, if their methodolgy is not sound, very little learning can take place. maybe our university needs to better serve the student athletes by working smarter with them.

Ahhh...someone who actually understands the learning process. I had not thought of that but that is a very good point.

Ahhh...someone who actually understands the learning process. I had not thought of that but that is a very good point.

The flip side is that, IMO, college is about learning how to learn, so to speak. It's about figuring out how to cope on your own so you can succeed in life after college. That responsibility falls to the student. If the student needs help, it is on them to get the help they need. At some point they have to become responsible for themselves.

I hate hearing about kids failing, but they have to be the ones to step up and take responsibility for themselves. The coaches and tutors can't do it for them (unless they happen to be named Mo Clarett).

For any of us who went to CU, we know that it's very much a "sink or swim" institution. In the general student population, you either figure out what you have to do to succeed or you're out. Athletes are given a safety net, which is fine by me. But, they do have that safety net that isn't available to the rest of the students.

And yes, I understand that the demands on their time are great, but so are the demands on a regular student's time if he/she is working him/herself through school.

The athletic department is hiring for athletic study hall "monitors". Pays $10 an hour.

what is wrong with the term "tutor?"

For any of us who went to CU, we know that it's very much a "sink or swim" institution. In the general student population, you either figure out what you have to do to succeed or you're out. Athletes are given a safety net, which is fine by me. But, they do have that safety net that isn't available to the rest of the students.

And yes, I understand that the demands on their time are great, but so are the demands on a regular student's time if he/she is working him/herself through school.

time is, to me, a nonissue. nobody has enough of it. the general student population sure as the sun rises in the east has access to tutoring, just as athletes do. the way one would go about requesting the tutor is different, is all. that being said, an institution of education taking steps to educate well is not a bad thing.

Also, I'd have to assume that most of the guys that turn up ineligible aren't doing poorly because the tutors aren't doing a good job helping. For the most part they are doing poorly because instead of going to class and doing the readings they are playing X-Box, chasing skirt, and working on their smile (so they can charm profs).

Also, I'd have to assume that most of the guys that turn up ineligible aren't doing poorly because the tutors aren't doing a good job helping. For the most part they are doing poorly because instead of going to class and doing the readings they are playing X-Box, chasing skirt, and working on their smile (so they can charm profs).

that is quite possible. as an educator, i would love to know what they are doing that they find is working and is not working, particularly in light of bohn's comments about student athletes, academics, and a hinted at process improvement.

that is quite possible. as an educator, i would love to know what they are doing that they find is working and is not working, particularly in light of bohn's comments about student athletes, academics, and a hinted at process improvement.

I meant to add, however, that I do think that the more effective the instruction and educational assistance, the more likely it is that marginal students will decide they want to go to class and do the work.

I meant to add, however, that I do think that the more effective the instruction and educational assistance, the more likely it is that marginal students will decide they want to go to class and do the work.

This assumes that it's somehow the school's responsibility to motivate them. CU isn't in the business of motivating its students to do anything. It's in the business of teaching them. It's the student's responsibility to learn. I'll agree that there are some instructors who are more effective at motivating their students than others.

To me, it's simple. If I'm Fataagi and I know I'm in trouble academically, I do what I can to rectify the situation. Now we can't know for sure what he did or didn't do, but whatever he did, it wasn't enough.

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. As far as I'm concerned, Fataagi did not take enough responsibility for his own situation.

This assumes that it's somehow the school's responsibility to motivate them. CU isn't in the business of motivating its students to do anything. It's in the business of teaching them. It's the student's responsibility to learn. I'll agree that there are some instructors who are more effective at motivating their students than others.

To me, it's simple. If I'm Fataagi and I know I'm in trouble academically, I do what I can to rectify the situation. Now we can't know for sure what he did or didn't do, but whatever he did, it wasn't enough.

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. As far as I'm concerned, Fataagi did not take enough responsibility for his own situation.

i too believe in personal responsibility. knowing how to motivate students by no means reduces the work required on their end.

It's not the schools fault. The student have every opportunity to get the help they need. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. If the school was in fault I believe you would see this problem more than you do.

Actually, ut has completed a study about this question. Their findings conclude that this statement is not true. One can lead a horse to water and make it drink. The study group found that it takes 3 texans.

Two to hold the horse's head under water, while the other sucks on its ass.

Actually, ut has completed a study about this question. Their findings conclude that this statement is not true. One can lead a horse to water and make it drink. The study group found that it takes 3 texans.

:rofl:

actually, ut has completed a study about this question. Their findings conclude that this statement is not true. One can lead a horse to water and make it drink. The study group found that it takes 3 texans.

reptastic

Does Erick's loss of eligability for academic reasons take coin out of Hawkin's pocket?
There is an academic performace clause in the HC contract, right?

I love it...:thumbsup:
I knew I was in trouble as soon as I used it:lol:

Does Erick's loss of eligability for academic reasons take coin out of Hawkin's pocket?
There is an academic performace clause in the HC contract, right?

I think it opens up a scholly. Not 100% on it. I think they'll switch Faatagi to a financial aid package to finish up but it won't count towards our scholarship limit. Where's 4DB? he knows these things.

I think it opens up a scholly. Not 100% on it. I think they'll switch Faatagi to a financial aid package to finish up but it won't count towards our scholarship limit. Where's 4DB? he knows these things.

finish up? What's the point?

4db is nothing more than a messenger. :smile2::thumbsup:

Back