What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Favorite Nebraska-Colorado game

I know you guys could probably care two ****s less what I say, but the 2005 game 30-3. Little did I know that this would be the last NU-CU game I would watch with my dad (Huge Husker fan). He died a week later at the young age of 54!

I know you guys could probably care two ****s less what I say, but the 2005 game 30-3. Little did I know that this would be the last NU-CU game I would watch with my dad (Huge Husker fan). He died a week later at the young age of 54!

sorry to hear about your dad, 54 is waaaay to young. Glad the last one you watched with him was a good one!

1992: 52-7. Halloween game in the rain/sleet/snow. Just a riot in the stands.

1994: 24-7. Berringer at QB shows off his arm and our defense bends without breaking allowing Salam 150 some yards without letting CU score much. Beautiful battle of the two best teams in CFB that season.

It's amazing how close the games were in the late 90's into 2000. '96: 17-12 '97:27-24 '98:16-14 '99: 33-30 OT '00: 34-32

This is why I love this rivalry and travel to each location every year. You're always in for a great game despite the records.

I was driving up to Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area that day and it was sleet/snowing in the Sierras-- and hearing that CU with such a good team was getting blown out just pissed me off. This is back when a bad loss would put me in an evil mood for days, so the trip was not much fun for me (and I am sure, for my wife either). Also remember the road being closed coming back from Tahoe, so we had to go up to Truckee and was listening to Hessler and the Buffs playing in the Cotton Bowl. Not sure which year.

1994-- Hated that what should of been the second Buff team to win a mNC lost in Lincoln. Should of been a closer game. I think Kordell just had a mental block when it came to NU. But did like Berringer alot--was looking forward to the Broncos drafting him (as everything I read said would happen) and then the accident. Just incredibally sad.

Best
1. 62 - 36 (01)
2. 27 - 21 (89)
3. 27 - 12 (90)

Most Disappointing
7 - 24 (94) My only visit to Memorial Stad.

Most Painful
30 - 33 (99)

1. YES!!

Great summary. My wife and I were in the student section for the 99 game-- we thought we had won it and was jumping up and down until we saw that the refs called it bad.:sad2:

I can't believe I failed to mention the tie of 91! I loved that game...so much fun (freezing effin' cold) in the stands. Biekert's 2 point return, the blocked kick to end the game. Just an awesome game!

Also, I was at that 92 debacle. That did suck.

2001, end of conversation.

:yeahthat:
For CU fans there is no doubt. And it wasn't just how they did it, but what a way to break thru after not having beaten knu since 1990 and suffering thru numerous heartbreakers in the 90's.

Only if you are too young to remember 1986!

Yes '86 was great, it's like you could sense that one coming. I couldn't get tickets to that game and ended up standing outside the north end zone and watching what bits and pieces we could until they finally opened up the gates in the 4th quarter.

The '84 game also sticks out to me even though we lost because CU was in the midst of a 1-10 season and knu came into the game ranked #3. CU led 7-3 at the end of the 3rd before falling 24-7. This game also marked the beginning of the return to the black jerseys.

Only if you are too young to remember 1986!
Both were great...86 as the turning point game for Coach Mac, 01 for the major beating we put on the #1 team. I was at the 86 game, but not the 01 game...so I can only imagine what it felt like to be in Boulder that day.

I vote for the 01 game, but I really thought that would be the launching point for Barnett. Too bad it wasn't.......

I've admitted many times that this is definately a rivalry and to be honest, I can't wait for our games against one another. My favorite games are the ones where it actually means something for both teams. It's not just about beating the other team, it's about beating that other team to make it to the championship game. Man, I miss those days........:sad1:

This year my friend....I have a feeling that last game is going to have a lot on the line this time around :thumbsup:

I can't believe I failed to mention the tie of 91! I loved that game...so much fun (freezing effin' cold) in the stands. Biekert's 2 point return, the blocked kick to end the game. Just an awesome game!

Also, I was at that 92 debacle. That did suck.

91 was the coldest freakin football game I ever attended, all my energy was focused on surviving the weather. I do remember Biekert's meandering run, almost seemed like slo-mo.

91 was the coldest freakin football game I ever attended, all my energy was focused on surviving the weather. I do remember Biekert's meandering run, almost seemed like slo-mo.

That was a cold a$$ game and what was worse is that it ended in a tie. Coldest game I've ever been to but k-state in 96 was close.

I really hope so because that'll make it a blast............I don't think I'll be able to stand it if KU wins the North. :cry:

The good thing is KU has the nasty part of their South schedule rotation so highly likely two if not 3 conference losses they will be dealing with on top of North division games.

1986 for me. Freshman year. I had grown up watching the Buffs and we could never quite get past that obstacle. All the stars aligned for my first year on campus. There was a point in that game, towards the end, when it was obvious we would win. The students started getting really crazy. I remember one guy standing on the rail, swinging one of the stadium speakers back and forth. It was pandemoneum. I tore down two goalposts that day. :woot:

1986 ... I tore down two goalposts that day. :woot:

If there was ever a signature reason to storm the field and engage in a little creative destruction it was THAT day. I will never, ever, ever forget the dumbfounded looks on all those white faces in the cornhole section as we serenaded them with this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaG2Acg8n60"]YouTube - Steam - na na hey hey kiss him goodbye[/ame]

That was before I was really big into Husker football. I was only 6 at the time, and was just a casual fan. That all changed for some reason I think against Kansas later in the year. Safe to say, I've been diehard ever since.

The 2004 game was a nightmare for me, the first year under Bill Callahan. 2007 I physically couldn't take another game coached by Bill Callahan.

Is this you below????

I was driving up to Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area that day and it was sleet/snowing in the Sierras-- and hearing that CU with such a good team was getting blown out just pissed me off. This is back when a bad loss would put me in an evil mood for days, so the trip was not much fun for me (and I am sure, for my wife either). Also remember the road being closed coming back from Tahoe, so we had to go up to Truckee and was listening to Hessler and the Buffs playing in the Cotton Bowl. Not sure which year.

1994-- Hated that what should of been the second Buff team to win a mNC lost in Lincoln. Should of been a closer game. I think Kordell just had a mental block when it came to NU. But did like Berringer alot--was looking forward to the Broncos drafting him (as everything I read said would happen) and then the accident. Just incredibally sad.

1. YES!!

Great summary. My wife and I were in the student section for the 99 game-- we thought we had won it and was jumping up and down until we saw that the refs called it bad.:sad2:

That '94 game was really lost by the coaches. McCartney's insistence on running the ball really hurt our ability to pass it later in the game....

I do not recall every game... but it seemed between 93-00 we seemed to either get scored on on the first drive, or have a turnover that they scored on... we were down early in EVERY game for those 8 years.

1961 Colorado 7, Nebraska 0 in Lincoln

Nebraska had 31 yards of total offense - on 35 plays. Zero first downs (NCAA record). Zero yards passing. I wasn't alive but I wish I was there.

I have to go with 2001, mainly because Nebraska had found an astonishingly number of fortunate ways to barely beat CU since 1990, and I couldn't take any more of it. 62-36 later, CU had exorcised the demon.

437379577_t613.jpg

Best game: 1990
Best game I personally attended: 2001
Worst game I personally attended: 2005 (which is also the last time I saw a game at Folsom)

:stupid:

Soupy !

I have never seen so many dejected people wearing red polyester in my life. :smile2:

One of the things that was truly beautiful about that day was that CU was, at the time 2-4. We had a miserable OOC schedule that year, having lost to CSU at home (in an awful downpour). The corn faithful poured across the border, expecting another in a long line of corn beat-downs. CU busted them in the mouth from the opening snap. The corn had no idea it was coming. None. It came as a complete shock to them.

Wonderful. :smile2:

In the first quarter, people were ribbing me about wearing a pair of Sorels and rabbit fur hat with the floppy ear covers.

There was nothing but pure envy after the half.

No one sat down on those brutally cold aluminum bleatchers that whole game, except to sneak a shot of whiskey from a flask.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first quarter, people were ribbing me about wearing a pair of Sorels and rabbit fur hat with the floppy ear covers.

It was nothng pure envy after the half.

No one sat down on those brutally cold aluminum bleatchers that whole game, except to sneak a shot of whiskey from a flask.

In 91 they canceled halloween in eastern Nebraska due to the extreme cold. Keithen McCants was a dumb a$$ in that game and couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Eric Bienemy and Darian Hagan were a scary combo, and I forgot about JJ Flanigan. All were great in the option offense. Who was your guy's fullback in I think 86? I know he died in the past few years, but I can't think of his name at the moment.

In 91 they canceled halloween in eastern Nebraska due to the extreme cold. Keithen McCants was a dumb a$$ in that game and couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Eric Bienemy and Darian Hagan were a scary combo, and I forgot about JJ Flanigan. All were great in the option offense. Who was your guy's fullback in I think 86? I know he died in the past few years, but I can't think of his name at the moment.

Eric Bienemy had already graduated by 91, so Hagan was all by himself.

I think you're thinking of anthony weatherspoon?

I hated that 91 game. I lost feeling below the ankles by kickoff, below the knee by the first quarter, the thigh by middle of the first quarter. I went home and watched on ESPN. I'm a die-hard, but hypothermia is serious ****. I remember seeing some guys with no shirts on and wondered just how drunk they must have been to tolerate that cold. After the game I went to the old Perkins on the frontage road with a friend and everybody, Nu and CU fans alike, were just stone cold numb. The fact that the game was a tie seems sort of fitting.

I hated that 91 game. I lost feeling below the ankles by kickoff, below the knee by the first quarter, the thigh by middle of the first quarter. I went home and watched on ESPN. I'm a die-hard, but hypothermia is serious ****. I remember seeing some guys with no shirts on and wondered just how drunk they must have been to tolerate that cold. After the game I went to the old Perkins on the frontage road with a friend and everybody, Nu and CU fans alike, were just stone cold numb. The fact that the game was a tie seems sort of fitting.

Weatherspoon was who I was thinking of. Thank you sir.

30-3 still would have to be my all time favorite. Didn't see that game coming at all. I remember when Charles ripped off that run on the second play of the game, I thought it was game over.

Was this weather worse than your game in Ames in the 90's when Mac skipped his morning run?

This game was cold. I traveled from Craig for it. Anyone that knocks a kids play in that game is crazy.

There was nothing but pure envy after the half.

Nobody sat down, because the bleachers just blended in with the piles of ice and snow; they were hardly discernable. For whatever reason, we'd stopped by the stadium earlier in the day. A well-orchestrated, and presumably drunk group of people had been there already and stomped the words "**** nebraska" into the snow in the bleachers in letters that were probably 20 feet high!

1986 for me. Freshman year. I had grown up watching the Buffs and we could never quite get past that obstacle. All the stars aligned for my first year on campus. There was a point in that game, towards the end, when it was obvious we would win. The students started getting really crazy. I remember one guy standing on the rail, swinging one of the stadium speakers back and forth. It was pandemoneum. I tore down two goalposts that day. :woot:
I was on the south side of the field when the goal post came down. There was a guy who had been hanging on the post when it fell....he landed on his back with the weight of the post on top of him. I thought the guy was toast...but, he got up laughing.....was that you?

Back