1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding "under the radar" recruits

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

MacIntyre has talked about things like multi-sport athletes who never had offseason weight training in high school, among other things, in his recent interview.

This SI article (hat tip to rward on Rivals for finding this one), talks about a number of other things:

- Young for his class
    - Plays Safety, QB or RB on HS team (where HS coaches tend to put their best athlete)
    - Isn't shaving yet
    - Size of hands, feet, wrist and frame as indicators of likelihood to put on good size or even grow taller

Good stuff. Those guys are out there. But it's tough way to build a team. We all remember the 2* who ended up being great and tend to forget the numerous 2* recruits who did nothing. It's the opposite with the blue chip recruits - we expect them to be great so it's the failures we tend to remember.

But one thing to keep in mind here is that being able to project is as much art as science. Skill in this art separates the great recruiters from the run-of-the mill in the same way that offensive coordinators are separated by having a certain feel for calling plays within the rhythm of the game.

Let's hope that MacIntyre has the art of this as a recruiter, because we are certainly playing the "projection" game.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/10/college-football-recruiting-projection-process

2. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

Back when we recruited consistently well, under several different coaches, we would take a lot of high school qbs and then change them to other positions. Did it with a few rbs too. That's where the athletes are. I do think it was easier back in the day to some extent when many more high schools were running option schemes.

I think this is a good strategy; not comprehensive but useful.

I'm starting to get a little hopeful for the season.

3. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I didn't think scotch and koolaid mixed?

4. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

I don't drink scotch, you plebian philistine. So I'm good.

5. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Whatever, you drink it's thieving doppelganger.

6. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

At the time, some people wondered why Hawkins gave a scholarship to unknown and unsung David Bakhtiari.
    I went back to his recruiting profile, and unless it was cleansed, there are only two comments. Nobody cared.

While this could have just been desperation or luck (e.g. even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while), in retrospect, DB was a good offer and good get.
    Most kids are just about to graduate at age 22; he's already played a year in the league.

Yes: - Young for his class
    Yes: - Size of hands, feet, wrist and frame as indicators of likelihood to put on good size or even grow taller

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Hawkins gave him a scholarship because he had a twinkle in his eye and brought his lunchpail. He probably came from a two-parent household, too. Those things are important, you know.