1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first camp practice

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffaholic, Aug 6, 2010.

1. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Honestly, not a lot you can take away from this. practiced in shorts and no pads.

A few things I observed:

Scrimmages:
    1. Hansen ran the ones which included the usual guys. OL had Solder, Adkins, Stevens, Miller, and Bahktiari.
    WR's were Clemons, McKnight, and Jefferson. Offense was spreading the field.

Defense had Webb and Mahnke at LB, with BJ at his DE position, Cunningham, Herrod and Pericek rounding out the front 4. DBs were Smith, Perkins, Polk, Brown and Orms.

2. Cody led the 2nd group, Hildreth broke one. OL had Harris, Richter, Iltis, Dannewicz and Givens.

Tau and MTM were doing drills and moving well.. I didn't see where they fit into the scrimmages. I didn't see Bahr and Behrens, but I'm sure they were there. Those two started a lot of games in 2008....

It's early, and I don't think running with the 1's and 2's means much now.

Newcomers:
    DL and Tight Ends. Uzo-Diribe stood out as a big explosive guy. Some really athletic guys in this group. Uzo-Diribe was mostly working with Bandison and the DL, but ran some Tight End drills. Impressed with Mobley and Griffon as athletes. Given that Griffon came from a running team, he might have an edge to see PT this year? Just a thought.

Couldn't see the RB's much. Clark is a big boy though. Speedy and B-Lock were leading the drills.

DL - Kasa is huge. He stands out. Bonsu was full participation and moving well. Obi and Goree are big boys. The DL looks bigger and meaner than ever before. West is out a few weeks with a tweak.

Clemons vs. Jimmy Smith in practice is a treat. Serious competition there.

Orms - it's an illusion. There are 3 guys on the field wearing his number. Got to be.

PR - Canty, Cefalo, Clemons, Jones #1, McKnight and others catching punts while guys throw crap at them.

Canty - don't care what his 40 time is, he's got Football quicks. Looks really confident.

Our OL group is impressive. They number about 20 guys and they are deep and they are huge. Solder and Miller are both freaks of nature.

Darden was doing some good stuff. He seems to be emerging as a player who could see some PT.

Until they are going live in full pads, there's not much to observe. Given practices close in about a week, that means we will see what we got vs. CSU.

2. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Thanks for the update!

Interesting that Bahktiari was out there with the ones instead of Givens. Not saying the sky is falling or anything, moreso interesting that Bahktiari is so young and has seemingly jumped some older guys like Dannewicz and Harris for PT.

Which Jones is Jones #1?

Interesting also that they had Webb and Mahnke out there as the LBers against the spread. I'm guessing we're going with maximum speed out there, can't say I disagree with that.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think Givens was with the 2s because of missing so much of the spring. He'll be our starting RT, but he has to earn his job back.

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

That report made me smile. Kool Aid one, Recent History zero. I'm losing my battle against optimism.

5. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Already lost the battle against optimism. Great report. I am excited.

6. buffaholic

that. I also think they want Jack Harris working at LT right now and Bahktiari working at RT. It was reversed during the spring.

Givens can't miss the spring and step onto the first team on day 1.

Defensively, we are going to show different alignments against our own offense and the spread teams than we will vs. CSU.

Walrus - overall, I was actually disappointed. Because the one thing we need to add to this offense to be successful is speed and playmaking ability at WR. We lined up the same guys we had this spring minus Simas and Simmons. We need both new guys out there and to be good. Once again, I'm betting heavy on guys I've never seen... I guess that's college football to some extent.

7. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

BUMP first let me say thanks for the review, anyone get 8-6?

Sent from my ADR6300

8. buffaholic

8-6

I caught 30 minutes and had to run. Mostly talked to Ringo and tried to feed his brain with ideas. Asked him to find out what's the deal with Behrens, Bahr, and MTM - all started games in 2008 up front as freshmen. Said he talked to Johnson that morning and he's seeing some signs with MTM and it's about confidence and trusting the knees. Read on Rivals that MTM may have been limping and was riding the bike after that. Confirmed Bahr and Behrens and 18 others are going thru all drills

Richardson was out there, #80. Dude looks like a 4-star, but, then again, I was pumped about Darrell Scott after his first practice. I'm going to be from the show-me state (Buffnik's line I believe). Guy is all of 6'1", thin, and can scoot.

Practice was in shorts and helmets - no pads.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    14er likes this.
  9. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Pads are Monday:
    Aug. 9 -- Meetings, Practice - first day in pads (8:30-10:30 a.m.)
    Wish I could call in well to work and watch a little. Maybe Sunday.

10. 14er

Crisp, efficient first CU workout - Tom Kensler

Oh please "pop" this year, I can't take another bad season. :thumbsup:

11. AlferdJasper

Yeah, baby!

:gobuffs:

12. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

anybody link me to the practice schedule that was up here in the last couple days? i can't find it, and the DA site doesn't seem to have one.

13. 14er

14. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

15. AlferdJasper

Mick,
    this one has a little more detail -
    Then practices close to the average fan.