What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

First Day In Pads

Its a good day. This will be the second year in a row that the RMSD will be on my birthday!

Any reports on the first practice in pads?

I had a couple of posts earlier. But i can alway add some more:smile2:

There was a pretty good crowd on hand to watch today's practice. It's always nice to see the crowds. The earlier practices i've been to only had about a handful of people. At least the afternoon sessions.

The Offensive Line:
The oline looked pretty impressive overall.

-Ryan Miller imo is becoming the vocal leader out there. He is pretty quiet most of the time, so when he has something to say everyone listens. He was getting everyone fired up during the short ydg situations toward the end of the practice. I was on the opposite side of the field and still heard him. He's a beast.

-Devin Head and Taj Kaynor got into a scuffle during their one on one's. Nothing major. Just alot of pushing. It was broken up fairly quickly. I think Devin will have the LG spot locked down. The kid is good.

-Nate Solder also continues to impress. The tackles position is locked up for the next 3 years. As long as they don't go pro early. He is a specimen out there. He really proved me wrong.

-Which leads me toward another question. What do the coaches do with Bryce Givens. I think he'll RS just to put on more weight(he had some issue due to the stesses of his recruitment). But Bryce is a kid that the staff has to find a way to get on the field. I've haven't heard of too many 6-6 guards in my day. Maybe its time we find out. He is way too talented to keep off the field. They had him practicing at RG during practice.

-MTM wasn't in pads. He also had his knee wrapped. I'm not sure exactly if this was a normal thing or if his knee is still rehabbing from his surgery. I'm not a 100% sure. I heard from Mark Collins that the staff was reporting MTM's knee as 100% recovered. Maybe i'm making a fuss about nothing.

-Girthy continues to have problems with the shotgun snaps. I backed him up last year because he the move to Center from Guard isn't easy. I expected some issues. But he should have those corrected by now. He is a force blocking. His only issue imo seems to be the shotgun snaps.

-Sione Tau seems to be having the same issues that plagued him in the spring. He looks lethargic out there. Not trying to slam the kid. He has some time to learn thought. He's only a RS frosh. I think Grimes will straighten him out.

-I also think Ethan Adkins should be considered to move to guard. They have him listed as a Tackle on CUBuffs.com. He's only 6-4 so he seems to fit the profile of a guard. At least imo. He had a great spring and he seems to not lost a step.

Just some thoughts from a average buff fan. :smile2:

The Dline also showed well. I didn't really watch them too much though.

-The Rabid Goldfish laid a knock on the 5 star. He did it about 15 yards downfield. At least i think it was. Kind of hard to tell from where i was standing. Then he hurt his knee. Everyone kind of gasped( i know i did) when he started to grab his knee. He was on the ground for about 4 minutes. But thank the lord he got up under his own power and walked off the field. He rejoined his teamates soon thereafter. I asked my friend why don't all of the Lineman wear knee braces? Isn't that designed to prevent those injuries? Just wondering.

-I think Brandon Nicholas is poised for another great season. The kid is kind of the person who sidesteps the spotlight. He gets the job done. And goes home. Notre Dame's loss is our gain. He should recieve some honorable mention at the end of the season.

-Drew Hudgins was not in pads. I found out later that he hurt his knee. Too bad. We really need all the help we can get on the dline.

Conrad Obi and Herrod did well. I didn't see them too much. But They did well during the one on one's vs. the Olinemen.

-Lucas went against Ryan Miller and got shut down. At least on the one that i saw. Before we all dog Lucas we should remember that Ryan Miller is a beast. Which brings me to another thought. I really like the overall talent on both of the lines. Our boy are only getting better when they practice every day against Miller and Solder.

-Cunningham wasn't there. Or i didn't see him. I hear alot of high praise from Pitt for Curtis though. He's unbelievably strong.

-I did see Rippy participating in the drills. He did really well. I don't think they switched his postition though. I think they probably have a DE/OLB type of role planned for Rippy.

The DB's

-Ryan Walters was out there today. But i didn't see him participating too much. I think they are easing him into it. No need to rush anything. We need this kid. He's a great leader for the secondary.

-Patrick Mahnke didn't really do too much out there. But he's a frosh during the first day of full pads. I also haven't noticed Ewing at all. did anyone see him out there today?

-Jimmy Smith has all the tools. He's fast as ****. he can out jump just about anyone. Of course he's 6-2. Which is nice. But there is something missing. I think this gets corrected as he see's increased PT this year.

-Dykes made the strip on Darrell today(i think). He's been doing pretty well. The job is still his to lose imo.

-Anthony Perkins is continuing to see more time with what looks like the first teamers. I know it's too early for that but he's seeing alot of action. He's going to be a good one.

-None of the others have stood out that much to me. But i'm no coach. so wtf do i know. :smile2:

The LB's

Oh man. This season is gonna be fun. There is soooo much talent out there. Who do we RS? I really hope the upperclassmen step up so we can throw some RS on Rippy, Major, and maybe Mohler(I doubt it though). Burton is a monster out there. Jeff Smart is a very heady player on the field. And Beatty and Jones are awesome. I think Jones will be the starter, but BJ Beatty should see a lot of PT. He's a awesome pass rusher who can also drop back into pass coverage well. If they don't really step up then we are still solid. Major has been practicing at MLB. He reads really well. Just so smart out there. Rippy has also been doing well. Except for getting his ankles broke by Rodney Stewarts' cutback. But RS will do that to anyone on the field.

Last edited:
Thanks, valdez. Rep sent.

I'm starting to get a bit worried abut our depth yet again. Injuries so far have been huge, and they are inevitable during the season itself. Does anyone have words of consolation?

Thanks, valdez. Rep sent.

I'm starting to get a bit worried abut our depth yet again. Injuries so far have been huge, and they are inevitable during the season itself. Does anyone have words of consolation?

This happens every year. Some years more than others. You really can't do anything about it.

The RB's

-This was the first time i've seen Darrell, and he is big. He did pretty well except for the fumble early on. Darian had him with two footballs in his hands crawling on the grass. Pretty funny stuff. But i noticed some favoritism. When Ray Polk fumbled, according to my friend, DHagan had him crawling the lenth of the field. 100 yds! And he didn't let ray ray's knees touch the ground. IF you saw darrell crawling, he was on his knees the whole time! And he only went the witdth of the field. I call :bs: A little 5 star favoritism eh?:lol:

-Ray Polk did well. But he seems to be having issues catching the ball. I've heard the coaching staff has him working on it. But overall this kid is deceptivly fast. He can turn it into high gear in a heartbeat. He just needs to work on his hands.

-Rodney "Speedy" Stewart is fun to watch. His cutback is awesome. It's like a video game out there. He juked Rippy out of his cleats on a screen play. They ran that with him alot. He's the type of kid to make something out of nothing. And he "passes the eye test". Hah. I love that saying. But it's true, the kid is built for a little guy. :smile2:

-Don't sleep on Sumler. He looks like he's running with attitude out there. He broke off a couple on the D. He's running with a chip on his shoulder. Which i'm sure the coaches are liking. He should be the starter going into the CSU game.

-Corey Nabors also did a good job today. He broke off a few early on. Who knows. Maybe this will be the kid that catches everyone by suprise. Okay, maybe not. But he did well on Sat.

The WR's are thinning out. I hope we don't see any injuries there. Simas's academic issues has hurt our depth, big time.

JSmith is JSmith. Catching balls he has no business catching. He split two defenders and made a great catch for about 25+. It's hard to tell from where i was at. Great agility and good hands. This kid is only a sophmore too. He'll only get better.

PWilliams has been doing well. I hope it translates on gameday. Come on Pat!

McKnight had a day to forget out there. He dropped some routine passes that he had no business dropping. Great throws. Oh well. I love this kid. And with Keisau's rep for building up walk on talent i'm sure McKnight will have another solid year.

Blackmon will probably be RS this year. He's a real stringy kid. I know Pitt will rectify this.

TE's

Thank god Geer is back.

Deehan looks like he's ready for the season. He looks like he's been working hard. I think he'll see the field this year. Catches damn near anything that comes his way.

Wallace has also been doing well. I've heard of a few drops but i'm not too worried. He'll RS for sure. imo.

Girthy has been having some issues. Still. :huh:

"A few bad snaps here and there need to get worked out as that could be a quick deterrent to the no huddle speed offense."

verry worrisome. anyone have any elaboration?

Nothing about last season pissed me off more than the number of bad snaps at inopportune times! I really like Sanders as a player, but he really has to be able to get the ball to the QB 99.999% of the time on the snap...

He has to figure this out - we will lose games that we could have one if we make mistakes like that. Good luck, Girthy!

Valdez in an Allbuffs treasure. Thanks for taking the time, on behalf of those of us who can't make it!

Darrell Scott was practicing punting and he does have a decent leg. After thinking about it, I wouldn't be opposed to try it a couple times in the RIGHT situation. There are a couple reasons.

1. Think about it. WHen someone lines up to punt, you almost always have a little bit of time. When you have someone with D-Scott's speed and moves, that can be a dangerous situation for opposing teams. If you give him a head start, it's almost like someone on a punt return.

2. Line up with two punters, just to mess with people or snap it to Scott and have him run, or snap it to the other punter and have him punt.

3. Just let Scott punt it, you can mess with peoples minds.

In this day and age of college football, you have to come up with new tricks and be creative. You have to take risks. I'm not calling for it all the time, but I would like to see them try soemthing in the right situation. I think you're gonna see it too.

J-Fly and Scott were also practicing together on kickoff returns

Im glad there is no news about Beatty, he limped off the field halfway through practice and didnt think I saw him after that. Valdez - Great review!

I too was gasping and saying "oh ****" when Hypolite went down. But the Goldfish was rabid later on jumping up and down getting the defense fired up yelling.

Im glad there is no news about Beatty, he limped off the field halfway through practice and didnt think I saw him after that. Valdez - Great review!

I saw that. I dont think it was anything serious. I thought i saw him on the field after that. But i could be wrong. Beatty has been coming on strong. It's definitly nice to see.

Back