What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

First Day In Pads

Darrell Scott was practicing punting and he does have a decent leg. After thinking about it, I wouldn't be opposed to try it a couple times in the RIGHT situation. There are a couple reasons.

1. Think about it. WHen someone lines up to punt, you almost always have a little bit of time. When you have someone with D-Scott's speed and moves, that can be a dangerous situation for opposing teams. If you give him a head start, it's almost like someone on a punt return.

2. Line up with two punters, just to mess with people or snap it to Scott and have him run, or snap it to the other punter and have him punt.

3. Just let Scott punt it, you can mess with peoples minds.

In this day and age of college football, you have to come up with new tricks and be creative. You have to take risks. I'm not calling for it all the time, but I would like to see them try soemthing in the right situation. I think you're gonna see it too.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. You don't know what Hawk is going to do if he lined up D Scott back there. Which i really do think he'll do at least once this year. Scott is so fast you have to watch the fake. But he was also punting really well.

J-Fly and Scott were also practicing together on kickoff returns

1, 2 punch bro! I read somewhere that the coaches were talking about how these guys would go all out blocking for each other.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. You don't know what Hawk is going to do if he lined up D Scott back there. Which i really do think he'll do at least once this year. Scott is so fast you have to watch the fake. But he was also punting really well.

1, 2 punch bro! I read somewhere that the coaches were talking about how these guys would go all out blocking for each other.

I think Rodney Stewart could be our best return guy

I almost wish they would switch him to CB. I'd hate to see him only play during ST's. This kid has way too much talent to keep him on the sidelines. Thoughts?

I almost wish they would switch him to CB. I'd hate to see him only play during ST's. This kid has way too much talent to keep him on the sidelines. Thoughts?

Is he tall enough to play corner? How about just run a stable of backs and keep teams off balance with Summler, Scott, Lockridge and Stewart? I think Polk will redshirt

It was funny hearing keisau (sp?) during wr drills. "Dont get nervous cause you got hundreds of people watching you!" You got 80 thousand in three weeks boys!

It was funny hearing keisau (sp?) during wr drills. "Dont get nervous cause you got hundreds of people watching you!" You got 80 thousand in three weeks boys!

lol I didn't hear that. I remember you saying they dropped a lot in drills is that when he said it?

I'm going to stop by today's practice also. I'll let you guys know what i see. It starts at 1:45-3:45. the afternoon practice is at 8-10pm. I don't think they'll be wearing pads.

-MTM wasn't in pads. He also had his knee wrapped. I'm not sure exactly if this was a normal thing or if his knee is still rehabbing from his surgery. I'm not a 100% sure. I heard from Mark Collins that the staff was reporting MTM's knee as 100% recovered. Maybe i'm making a fuss about nothing.

I overheard MTM saying he had fluid drained from his knee, just results from the surgery. He said he would be practicing today.

Thanks for the reports guys.:thumbsup: I'm going to try and make it to a couple practices this week if school schedule allows.

Is he tall enough to play corner? How about just run a stable of backs and keep teams off balance with Summler, Scott, Lockridge and Stewart? I think Polk will redshirt

I kinda think Stewart's ideal position is slot back/slot receiver, at least in this offense. Gives him a chance to get the ball in space or one-on-one with a defender. Quick patterns, longer slants against a safety, bubble screens, and also presents the threat of the short reverses.

I think if the staff can't find a niche for him this year, then getting playing time only on ST's might be a waste. In that case, red shirt 'em. Same with Polk.

In time, can you imagine the Buffs lining up with Scott and Polk in the backfield, Stewart in the slot and JFly wide? Talk about stretching a defense.

We already got an ideal slot receiver in Scotty McKnight. I'm sure the coaches will find a way to get Stewart the ball in creative ways.

Devin Head and Taj Kaynor got into a altercation during one on ones. Nothing major. Just alot of shoving.

I didn't see you say this earlier. I saw them joking around with each other after practice, so I think it's all cool. Just typical football shoving:smile2:

FWIW...here are some notes from Friday afternoon's practice:

I watched a lot of the 1 on 1s and the OL needed some improvement. They did OK against the defensive line but they are going to have to step it up. Miller and Sanders are very solid. The rest are still learning and are young. I also must note that this drill appears to favor the defensive players since the D was getting to the dummy quite a bit, but in many cases the ball would have been thrown by the time they got there.

I liked what I saw in Herrod. Hopefully it was because he was good and not due to the inexperience of the lineman he was going against (not naming names). The same goes for Goree - he really looked like he had a quick jump which is great to see in a big guy like that. Nicolas just looked awesome.

Cody had noticeable zip on his passes in some of the passing drills which is great to see.

J-fly is great and exudes confidence. Simas really looks good - too bad we can't have him this year. Geer is very solid in the drills. I also have to say that I was impressed with the walk-on receiver - #89 Bobseine. He has good hands and caught everything in the drills, but is not as fast as the other receivers. Should be interesting to see how he develops in coming years.

We already got an ideal slot receiver in Scotty McKnight. I'm sure the coaches will find a way to get Stewart the ball in creative ways.

Still seems to be the position that would best fit Stewart's skills. Besides, if Hawk and company are still using "groupings", I could see McNight in one and Stewart in another.

That said, I'd still like to see Stewart and Polk red shirt. That additional year will pay big dividends.

Still seems to be the position that would best fit Stewart's skills. Besides, if Hawk and company are still using "groupings", I could see McNight in one and Stewart in another.

That said, I'd still like to see Stewart and Polk red shirt. That additional year will pay big dividends.

Polk maybe, I don't think you'll see Stewart redshirt. Like I said, he is our best return man. He will see action in game 1.

Here's my opinion on today's practice.

QB's

-Cody is clearly the leader. No big suprise there. He's got good zip on the ball and made some great throws. He really puts great touch on the ball.

-I've been hearing alot of great things about Hansen. He's has a very live arm. But i haven't seen too much of him yet in these practices.

-Ballenger may become the no. 2 guy. I'm not sure what's up with Nelson but Ballenger seems to be playing better. At least imho.

RB's

-Like i said in the last update, Sumler really seems to be running with a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't go down after the first touch. He's making his cuts and hitting the hole's with authority. No dancing around. This is very nice to see.

-Darrell Scotts' stiff arm is awesome. He just abuses people with it. You kind of feel bad for the guy on the recieving end of it.

- I'd like to see Ray Ray RS. But it might be hard to keep him off the field.

-Rodney Stewart continues to see alot of reps at TB. They have him taking alot of screens and some draw plays. He's like a video game. He's a legit threat to go for six every touch imo. He's very entertaining to watch.

WR's

-The best reciever imo is Simas. Which really pisses me off that we wont have him this year. It's a big loss.

- A close second imo is Patrick Williams. He really made some great catches today. I really haven't noticed him dropping too many balls. I hope it translates on gameday. We need him bad.

-Josh Smith is going to be awesome. He seems to miss some routine balls imo. But he also seems to make impossible catches out there look easy. He will also be fun to watch.

TE's

-Once again, Thank god Riar is back.

-Deehan and Wallace both look good. If i had to choose one i'd go with Deehan. He's a load, and he catches damn near everything that comes his way.

OL

-Both Solder and Miller continue to look really solid.

-They've had Givens working at RG. He's done really well too, But i don't see him playing this year. He will need a RS year to add on some weight. I'm sure Pitt will take good care of Bryce.

-Devin Head imo will be the starter at LG. He's a load. Practicing really well.

-No real problems with any snaps with the center's. I talked to another fan out there today and he said it wasn't Girthy making the mistakes with the snaps yesterday. He said it was Daniels. Sorry if i got anyone mixed up. My bad.

-No MTM today. He was out there but no pads.

DL

-Lucas looked well during on on one's. I hope he steps up.

-I saw Brace getting alot of reps at DE out there. He looks really good. Keep in mind he was injured for the whole time last year. But he did play his frosh year.

LB's

-Mike Sipili -I think alot of people(including myself) forgot about him. He might make a bid for the starting job. But i didn't see too much of him today. He did have a nice move on the OT's to pressure the QB. But that was the only time i noticed him.

-Jeff Smart did great today. Always seemed to be in the thick of things. He's turning into a great LB.

-Beatty was moving sand all practice long. I was talking to Louisville Buff and he said BJ told him it was a deep bruise or something. Nothing too serious.

CB's

-Anthony Perkins is seeing alot of reps due to the limited action that Ryan Walters is recieving. He's looked good.

-Here's hoping Jimmy Smith works himself out and becomes the great CB everyone knows he could become. This guys got all the tools.

-Coach Brown has said the best CB this fall has been McKay. He's been doing well.

ST's

-Scott continued to punt the ball today. Great hang time. You all know hawk is going to stick him in one of these games. :smile2:

-And as we all know Rodney is awesome.

--------------------------------------------------

There isn't that much difference between this and my last update. This practice seemed to be pretty much alot of the same things. Except no injuries!!!! If you went to the practice and see any errors please let me know. I can handle criticism. At least i think I can handle it. :smile2:

It was nice talking to Louisville Buff from Rivals. He's a very knowledgeable guy. He also gives practice reports on Rivals. Check them out.

Here's my opinion on today's practice.

QB's

-Cody is clearly the leader. No big suprise there. He's got good zip on the ball and made some great throws. He really puts great touch on the ball.

-I've been hearing alot of great things about Hansen. He's has a very live arm. But i haven't seen too much of him yet in these practices.

-Ballenger may become the no. 2 guy. I'm not sure what's up with Nelson but Ballenger seems to be playing better. At least imho.

RB's

-Like i said in the last update, Sumler really seems to be running with a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't go down after the first touch. He's making his cuts and hitting the hole's with authority. No dancing around. This is very nice to see.

-Darrell Scotts' stiff arm is awesome. He just abuses people with it. You kind of feel bad for the guy on the recieving end of it.

- I'd like to see Ray Ray RS. But it might be hard to keep him off the field.

-Rodney Stewart continues to see alot of reps at TB. They have him taking alot of screens and some draw plays. He's like a video game. He's a legit threat to go for six every touch imo. He's very entertaining to watch.

WR's

-The best reciever imo is Simas. Which really pisses me off that we wont have him this year. It's a big loss.

- A close second imo is Patrick Williams. He really made some great catches today. I really haven't noticed him dropping too many balls. I hope it translates on gameday. We need him bad.

-Josh Smith is going to be awesome. He seems to miss some routine balls imo. But he also seems to make impossible catches out there look easy. He will also be fun to watch.

TE's

-Once again, Thank god Riar is back.

-Deehan and Wallace both look good. If i had to choose one i'd go with Deehan. He's a load, and he catches damn near everything that comes his way.

OL

-Both Solder and Miller continue to look really solid.

-They've had Givens working at RG. He's done really well too, But i don't see him playing this year. He will need a RS year to add on some weight. I'm sure Pitt will take good care of Bryce.

-Devin Head imo will be the starter at LG. He's a load. Practicing really well.

-No real problems with any snaps with the center's. I talked to another fan out there today and he said it wasn't Girthy making the mistakes with the snaps yesterday. He said it was Daniels. Sorry if i got anyone mixed up. My bad.

-No MTM today. He was out there but no pads.

DL

-Lucas looked well during on on one's. I hope he steps up.

-I saw Brace getting alot of reps at DE out there. He looks really good. Keep in mind he was injured for the whole time last year. But he did play his frosh year.

LB's

-Mike Sipili -I think alot of people(including myself) forgot about him. He might make a bid for the starting job. But i didn't see too much of him today. He did have a nice move on the OT's to pressure the QB. But that was the only time i noticed him.

-Jeff Smart did great today. Always seemed to be in the thick of things. He's turning into a great LB.

-Beatty was moving sand all practice long. I was talking to Louisville Buff and he said BJ told him it was a deep bruise or something. Nothing too serious.

CB's

-Anthony Perkins is seeing alot of reps due to the limited action that Ryan Walters is recieving. He's looked good.

-Here's hoping Jimmy Smith works himself out and becomes the great CB everyone knows he could become. This guys got all the tools.

-Coach Brown has said the best CB this fall has been McKay. He's been doing well.

ST's

-Scott continued to punt the ball today. Great hang time. You all know hawk is going to stick him in one of these games. :smile2:

-And as we all know Rodney is awesome.

--------------------------------------------------

There isn't that much difference between this and my last update. This practice seemed to be pretty much alot of the same things. Except no injuries!!!! If you went to the practice and see any errors please let me know. I can handle criticism. At least i think I can handle it. :smile2:

It was nice talking to Louisville Buff from Rivals. He's a very knowledgeable guy. He also gives practice reports on Rivals. Check them out.

I vote that Valdez takes Ringo's job with BDC - appreciate the awesome updates, keep em coming! Rep on the way! :thumbsup:

Vman, thanks from the bottom of my heart. I can't make it up there, and am dying for info all the time, so it is soooo great to get these updates. We owe you!!:thumbsup:

Back