What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

First depth chart is out

WOW - seeing it written in pencil shows just how bad we are. CU has fallen a long way in the talent pool. We were behind in the BIG12 and now behind in the PAC12. Amazing. How do us fans keep doing this? How long before CU truly starts competing? even remotely? I sure hope these coaches can scheme around all the defeciacies we are seeing on this "penciled" in chart. Well I guess my KoolAid glass is below half full this morning :cry:

WOW - seeing it written in pencil shows just how bad we are. CU has fallen a long way in the talent pool. We were behind in the BIG12 and now behind in the PAC12. Amazing. How do us fans keep doing this? How long before CU truly starts competing? even remotely? I sure hope these coaches can scheme around all the defeciacies we are seeing on this "penciled" in chart. Well I guess my KoolAid glass is below half full this morning :cry:

Just be happy you have a glass!

I thought from the get-go Gillam would be in the mix: he only started playing FB his Jr year of HS and yet made Defensive MVP and All-League as a Sr! MM could see the kid is on the upswing as a FB player and his body and mind aren't beaten up from a lot of bad-habit-forming youth FB. Moten is where he should be, QBs regularly switch to safety, a thinking position, rather than CB, a reactive, "intuitive"(non-thinking) position; why it wasn't done under the past set of geniuses is a mystery. Hall to WR was a return of the kid to his most natural position. Again, the ugly stubborness of the past staff rears its head.

Webb, a very good spread QB, absolutely pounded into a pro-style position the last two years, under two of the worst D1 HC's evah! Compound that with the learning-on-the-job play-calling of the last OC and no wonder he looked awful. Joe Montana would have looked really bad, abused in the ways, Webb was! (No, I am not comparing Webb to Joe, just using that to point out how truly bad the coaching was.)

I have my doubts about Daigh pass coverage skills. I want the best player to start. My preference is a guy that is excellent in pass coverage and can also play the run. Last year, the team was losing on average by 40 points each week. I am not impressed with Daigh tackle total in the defense that was awful.

:lol:http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=205155101

You know SO MUCH ABOUT CU FOOTBALL. Daigh had 40 tackles last year... Someone else had 88.

I have seen some great QBs look awful when they are not getting protection.

While I don't expect Webb to be anything more than serviceable, I am willing to wipe the slate clean and let the coach's decide.

I have my doubts about Daigh pass coverage skills. I want the best player to start. My preference is a guy that is excellent in pass coverage and can also play the run. Last year, the team was losing on average by 40 points each week. I am not impressed with Daigh tackle total in the defense that was awful.

I was referring to Webb.

Re: First pencil depth chart is out

While I don't expect Webb to be anything more than serviceable, I am willing to wipe the slate clean and let the coach's decide.

This.

Semper Gumby

I'm willing to let Webb wipe the slate clean with some competent playing...hoping I won't have to see that, but if he gets the job so be it.

I take heart in the fact SJSU was a worse program with less talent and Coach Mac turned it around. It will be more difficult in the PAC than the WAC, but he's a proven winner and turnaround artist as HC. I'm already encouraged by DD's move to WR in Mac's ability to match talent with position.

@Buffclass90:
LB spot looks like a bright spot to me, since my expectations were low. Seeing that Gillam is ahead or at least competing with Daigh and that Greer is doing the same vs Vigo is great news! That means we got some guys competing. Daigh and Vigo played a bunch last year, so if they got competition, isn't that great news? Would you feel better if nobody emerged to compete with them?
No. I'm just not very familiar with any of these guys. Some look good on paper but unproven. If there's a surprise player group this year I'd expect it to be the LBs. I guess I'm expecting a surprise :wtf::lol:

I also have questions about Webb pass coverage skills.

Hard to know how much of that was coaching and scheme the last 2 years. D-Webb has the tools to be disruptive while also being good in coverage.

How do you know Webb is a very good spread QB?

Should have said "...very good HS spread QB" :

High School: Arrived on campus for spring of 2009... A four-year letterwinner at Union HS... Was a two-time all-state first team selection at QB... Ranked as the 13th-best player in the St. Louis metro area by the St. Louis Post Dispatch... As a sophomore he was all-state second team... As a senior he threw for 3,100 yards and 31 touchdowns while rushing for 1,024 yards and 24 touchdowns... Team was 11-1 advancing to the state sectionals... As a junior he threw for 3,832 yards and 46 touchdowns...

He was recruited by the Hutt to replace Reesing in the Mangino Spread O. Mangino was fired, the rest is history.

Webb played in the spread at Kansas and was not very good, coaching is not Webbs problem

WRONG! Webb played for Turner Gill; here's what was said about Gill's offense when he first started:
"Kansas' offensive strategy is changing almost as substantially as its personnel is.Out is the no-huddle spread. In is something a little more traditional. "We're definitely gonna be underneath the center," Gill said. "How much, that's always gonna be flexible when we get into the fall."

Topeka Journal,
March 28, 2010

Webb was the proverbial square peg being pounded into the round hole by stupidly stubborn coachs, Gill and Water Bottle.

I'm willing to let Webb wipe the slate clean with some competent playing...hoping I won't have to see that, but if he gets the job so be it.

If they decide to start Webb I at least hope they are willing to recognize that in the past he has done well in practice and not performed in games. They need to be ready to replace him if he repeats that history of failure when the opponents don't share the same locker room.

most of Webbs videos at Kansas show him taking sacks, throwing picks, or othewise not being effective most off the time.

fify

Webb is a case where the highlights lie, he had some nice plays but the results of the games show a completely different and ugly story.

What I take from this depth chart at QB is, Dorman is out. Hirschman has options if he is graduating in May, so I see him leaving after the semester is done (he will not beat out the others). Wood is hanging on be a thread. Dillon at least is young and can stay on the roster if he doesn't win the job.

But it also tells me that Coach Mac is not showing Webb the door for a simple reason. Webb has around 30 starts and experience is always attractive to a new coach. Webb hasn't show Mac anything this spring and yet he keeps him around. Get ready for an offer to Fishback because we don't have a clear cut leader. Fishback can enroll for the summer and compete for playing time this coming fall.

Webb has almost no ceiling for improvement. But I believe he will be on the roster for the fall. That means Dorman and either Wood or Hirschman are gone. What is clear, we really need help at this position because right now no one is standing out.

I also think Mac is trying to motivate some players to start stepping up with some pride because they are listed lower than some walk ons. I think Mac wants to see how they react. If they step up, great. If the pout and lose motivation, then time to move them on down the road.

Reading the tea leaves, I think it's a competition between Wood and Dillon at this point. Webb wasn't dropped from the competition out of a sense of fairness since the thumb injury has prevented him from being able to show the coaches what he's capable of.

WRONG! Webb played for Turner Gill; here's what was said about Gill's offense when he first started:
"Kansas' offensive strategy is changing almost as substantially as its personnel is.Out is the no-huddle spread. In is something a little more traditional. "We're definitely gonna be underneath the center," Gill said. "How much, that's always gonna be flexible when we get into the fall."

Topeka Journal,
March 28, 2010

Webb was the proverbial square peg being pounded into the round hole by stupidly stubborn coachs, Gill and Water Bottle.

Webb transferred to CU knowing full well that Embree wanted to run a pro-style offense. Say what you will about Embree's coaching but no one put a gun to Webb's head and forced him into an offense he wasn't comfortable with. He chose to come here.

Reading the tea leaves, I think it's a competition between Wood and Dillon at this point. Webb wasn't dropped from the competition out of a sense of fairness since the thumb injury has prevented him from being able to show the coaches what he's capable of.
I think it is a bit early to count out Hirschman. He's the unquestioned team favorite.

Looking at what % of drives ended in turnovers from the returning QB's, here's how it stacks:

Webb: 16%
Hirsch: 20%
Wood: 23%

Just brutal.

MM has been harping on turnovers, preventing them and creating them. I can't see any of these QB's winning the job until they limit the picks.

If I were to defend one of them, it's Wood because he doesn't have the largest sample size out of the 3, with only one game with more than 7 passing attempts.

What I take from this depth chart at QB is, Dorman is out. Hirschman has options if he is graduating in May, so I see him leaving after the semester is done (he will not beat out the others). Wood is hanging on be a thread. Dillon at least is young and can stay on the roster if he doesn't win the job.

But it also tells me that Coach Mac is not showing Webb the door for a simple reason. Webb has around 30 starts and experience is always attractive to a new coach. Webb hasn't show Mac anything this spring and yet he keeps him around. Get ready for an offer to Fishback because we don't have a clear cut leader. Fishback can enroll for the summer and compete for playing time this coming fall.

Webb has almost no ceiling for improvement. But I believe he will be on the roster for the fall. That means Dorman and either Wood or Hirschman are gone. What is clear, we really need help at this position because right now no one is standing out.

I also think Mac is trying to motivate some players to start stepping up with some pride because they are listed lower than some walk ons. I think Mac wants to see how they react. If they step up, great. If the pout and lose motivation, then time to move them on down the road.

Where do you get Hirschman graduating in May? He is not scheduled to Graduate in May, he is only a RS Soph and will be a RS Junior next year. Hirschman is one of the least likely to leave.

I will be surprised if Fishback is offered. People are upset with Embree bringing in Dorman (and to a lesser extent Shrock) - well Fishback has about the same pedigree, he wasn't even getting looks from FCS schools and now he is going to the be the Buffs savior???? They (coaches) are not that interested in him. The Buffs are players over the limit at the moment so they don't have room for another very pedestrian QB.

If they decide to start Webb I at least hope they are willing to recognize that in the past he has done well in practice and not performed in games. They need to be ready to replace him if he repeats that history of failure when the opponents don't share the same locker room.

Two of the possible replacements have in the past performed poorly in practice and games. I can see Webb being the sacrificial lamb that takes the lumps while Dillon and Sefo are getting stronger physically and getting more comfortable with the offense. Webb could help the rest of the team learn the offense while protecting Dillon and Sefo from having their confidence crushed next year. I really hope it does not come to that. It sounds like Dillon and Sefo (any possibly Wood, Fishback and Hirschman) are being given every opportunity to become the starter. It is up to them to put Webb on the sidelines.

Back