1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida recruiting

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by White_Rabbit, May 12, 2015.

1. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

How many commits should we get this year to consider our adventures there successful?

Could also answer with a percentage since we don't really know how many schollies we'll end up with.

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

2-3, anything that offsets Texas futility.

3. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Less concerned about numbers than I am about quality.

If we pull in 5-7 kids but they are the kind of kids we have been getting in recent years with no other P5 offers or maybe one other offer from another last place school then it will be a failure.

Give me 2 kids who have multiple quality offers from legitimate programs and I will be happy with our efforts there.

At some point we have to break the pattern and start signing kids that other coaches think can play.

4. walk

walk Member

2 kids this year would be great (15%) of class, but we've been absent in Florida for so long, I'd be content with just building relationships this year even if no recruits. Next year, 3-4 would be successful so long as they have other P5 offers.

5. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Depends on the caliber. Land one 4* down there and I'll be happy

6. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

If we land 1-2 kids from down there at all I'll be a little surprised.

7. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

Can't expect to win recruiting battles with FSU, UF, UGA, Miami, etc, but to me, winning a few recruiting battles against programs like USF, UCF, UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke, etc should be considered a successful first year for our recruiting efforts in Florida. Obviously not the marquee kids with 4+ stars next to their names, but all P5 caliber players that would start to generate in roads and develop relationships with the HS programs.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Going into IMG for Florida, it definitely helps to be a Nike school. That's our best opportunity, I think, to gain blue chip FL talent. IMG athletes aren't as locked into the state or regional schools. Besides IMG, I think it comes down to relationships and whether Leavitt & Tumpkin can leverage some of that to get some guys who might normally go to a USF by being able to offer P5.

I'm going to go high with my FL recruiting prediction for the 2016 class: 4 or 5 signees

9. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

but how many end up staying... we've had a recent history with long distance kids getting home sick and transferring out after a year or 2

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The more I think about it, the more I like the strategy. In Texas, we're nobody. We're the team that bolted the B12 to play on the West Coast. In California, we're the team that keeps getting it's head bashed in. In Florida, we're just another team. No real history that is out there for everybody to see. We can set the narrative a lot better. We're not trying to get a lot of recruits against teams that we play on a regular basis. That should help us.

11. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Who is the last player we've got from Florida? I know Troutman was from there.

12. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

If we can land a difference maker/play maker, I'd be happy with that.

13. TDbuff

OL Mike Iltis and LB Josh Hartigan in '07. I think Greg Brown got them.

14. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Totally forgot those 2.

15. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I believe that Henley Griffon was the most recent (2010).

TDbuff likes this.
  16. TDbuff

17. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Ease that by going with IMG kids, they're already over the homesickness. They come from all over to attend IMG in the first place.

Its like recruiting Miller from that New Hampshire prep school in B-ball. He's from KC, but ended up in NH.

18. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

I don't think we get one commit from FL, let alone a difference maker.

Believe it or not, people know about Colorado out here in the east. I was at the liquor store getting some booze one saturday morning a year or two ago when the clerk asked me how I was doing. I said, "I'm going to watch Colorado try and play football today. How do you think I feel?"

He laughed and the guy behind me laughed and said, "Oh, that is awful. You might want two of those."

It's not a secret out here. :huh:

19. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Not under MacIntyre. Everyone left under Hawkins and Embree, which leads me to believe there were very poor evals being done.

20. White_Rabbit

Mac also hasn't been recruiting people from that far away. It's a legit concern that I happen to share.

21. Buffnik

Exception would be JUCOs who went to HS in the southeast. But those guys are obviously different since they've already spent a year or two in Cali or KS or wherever. Homesick isn't likely to be an issue.

22. White_Rabbit

Indeed, but if memory serves most of those were just signed during this last cycle? Before that, we got Gehrke who is from AZ and Wiefuls who is from CA. The TE Center is from NY or something.. blanking on who else, I'm sure there's more.

It may be no big deal, but I remember looking at our TX recruits over the last 10 years or so and the attrition rate was staggering. Now, other factors could've and probably did come into play there considering how much we've sucked over that span and how many coaches we have went through, but this was part of my argument for why we should maybe just double down on the P12 footprint and leave TX behind.

23. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Thanks Mr. Negative Nancy! :sad2:

24. The Ogre

The Ogre Club Member Club Member

I had a kid at the store try to sell me dish the other day, he offered all sorts of sports packages, yada, yada. He asked me what I watch, I said football. He said, "Oh, great we have NFL this and that, SEC, B1G...". "All I waste my time on is CU football," says I. Screws up his eyes, cocks his head, and I said, "Yeah, the University of Colorado - the Buffs." He gave me a look of pity and must have figured I was scum, because about the next thing out of his mouth was something to do with the offer hanging on my credit rating. Nice.

I don't have the energy to bitch about the coaches and players at CU - it's pointless, and I might become a casual fan if I thought about it enough. I don't care if they recruit Haiti, as long as it works.

25. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

You'll never get the hawt girl unless you ask.

26. Buffnik

Exactly. 99 times out of 100, you get slapped or laughed at. But that 1 other time is magic.

27. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Literally

[​IMG]

J.R. Ewing likes this.
  28. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member