1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fly Dre

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by BeBe, May 11, 2016.

1. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

Buffgal posted this on twitter. I didn't see it here and thought you all might be interested.

2. RiverBuff

RiverBuff Club Member Club Member

What's up with bypassing his "journey" at CU, except for showing him wearing a buffalo hat?!

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The local media has a habit of that. They talk about high school in San Antonio and pros in Oklahoma City. Not sure if that's just a strong regional bias of interest or if there's something going on there with how Dre promotes himself.

4. HawaiiBUFF

HawaiiBUFF Well-Known Member

Great little segment. I'm pretty bummed theres no part about Colorado in there. Would've been great to have seen his rise from mediocre recruit to first round pick.

5. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

He's from San Antonio & they're currently playing San Antonio. It's a 2 minute video. I was bummed to not see any CU highlights but you have to consider the context.

Really happy for Dre. Not sure there was a better team for him to fit in with & have success.

RiverBuff, buffgal and bombay like this.
  6. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Roberson just nailed a 3 to bring his team to within 3.

16-13

7. bombay

Roberson 2-2 from 3.

38-27

8. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

Dre is playing very well tonight.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

He's having his best NBA game to help knock out the Spurs in the playoffs. Shooting Well, non-stop hustle, great D on Leonard. Pretty cool. Getting a lot of love from the announcers and twitterverse.

10. BuffNative

BuffNative Club Member Club Member

I'm cheering for OKC the rest of the NBA playoffs so that I can see more of this...

Andre for three!!!

A sequence I'm sure has Tad Boyle smiling.

Hustle rebound, plus the dish.

I love the sound of utter surprise from the announcer every time Andre hits a shot.

Andre doing what Andre does best, chase down block.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  11. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

ESPN game summary mentions Andre 1st:

As the series wore on, it became obvious the advantages the Thunder had. They frustrated the Spurs, taking away first, second and third options. Each San Antonio possession Thursday was a grind deep into the shot clock as the Thunder zoomed around like condors with their wings spread. Andre Roberson was at the heart of it, guarding Kawhi Leonard and adding an unexpected 14 points. Steven Adams -- who battled through a migraine headache pregame that caused him to vomit -- continued his stellar play. Serge Ibaka limited LaMarcus Aldridge and came up with a block on Tim Duncan late that Durant called "like a clutch basket." The Thunder flipped the script on the Spurs, showcasing a ferocious defense, excellent late-game execution and well-rounded depth.

12. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I would love to be able to pull for the Thunder....I am extremely interested in how Roberson does but I cannot root for a team that the prick Westbrook plays for....no matter how talented that guy is he is a grade-A POS

13. RiverBuff

RiverBuff Club Member Club Member

No real basis in fact, but I got the sense that Dre, and his dad, were not that happy with CU at the end, and "promoting" his time here. Yes, there were doubters that 'Dre was ready to go pro after his second year. Real happy with and for him.

14. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

Dre is having a breakout year. There's only 30 other NBA players age 25 or under with >3.0 Win Shares, >0.1 Win Shares per 48 min, >1.0 Value Over Replacement, & >1.0 Box Plus/Minus this season. Seriously, check out that list. Dre is amongst the very best young talent in the league. Of course, he's at the bottom in all those categories & he'll never be a star. However, he's shaping up to be a valuable role player that smart teams will covet.

15. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

I really like his lack of tattos and glad to see him having great success.

16. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

/no racist.

17. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

18. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

Don't understand the no racist comment. Just don't like tattos and find it refreshing when players don't have them. Always have been a huge fan of his and glad he found a team where he is a good fit.

SuperiorBuff and 14er like this.
  19. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

20. Buffnik

It's a big change. Most fans were having trouble seeing past his low 3pt%. Understandable. Same reason so many CU fans have trouble putting Dre on their all-time Buff starting 5. Dre's not going to win a fantasy league for a fan, but he wins actual games for actual teams.

21. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

I used to play ~$200 a day, 5 days a week on college hoops on FanDuel. Dre was extremely valuable. Rebounds, blocks, & steals are all fantasy points. Though, i'm sure you're only talking about his NBA stats. He might be the most misunderstood player of his generation. Even Tad misjudged his value. Tad was probably getting intel from mediocre front offices.

There's a reason he's on one of the smartest org's in the NBA. Taking Westbrook at #4 was controversial in '08. Anyone who doesn't have Dre on CU's all-time 5 doesn't know hoops. Chalk it up to 40 yrs of no basketball culture in Boulder.

Tractor likes this.
  23. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

24. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Outside of the fantasy realm and into real basketball for a team like OKC Dre is tremendously valuable. You have a team with KD and with Westbrook who average about 50 a night between them. Add Ibaka and Kanter who are double figures scorers and Waiters might as well be. They only have one basketball and on offense you know where you want it to be.

Dre thrives on doing the things that don't require him to score or even handle the ball. He can defend a variety of players and positions, he will rebound, and he keeps the ball moving with his passing. His offensive skills are good enough that opponents can't just forget him but if he scores 4 points in a game and they win he and the team are happy.

College ball is full of guys who think they have to score to get to the next level. Dre is proof that you can be valuable without needing to fill a stat sheet offensively.

Also doesn't hurt him that Durant and the rest apparently really like him off the court as well. If you are not a superstar being a good team guy is important for career longevity.

El Gringo, bombay and buffgal like this.
  25. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Some dude on the LeBatard show was saying that Dre is the weak link for Thunder offensively, that the Warriors have given up defending him completely, and that there was nothing that OKC could do about it.

I thought that was especially harsh, given the series he had against the Spurs, and given that this schmuck was basing it all on one game.

26. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Dre is absolutely the weak link offensively. Duh. That's not why he is on the court. Hell, the fact he doesn't need any shots is probably a good thing for them.

27. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Sportscenter had a nice segment on Andre's bad game last night

28. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Dennis Rodman was a weak link, offensively, too.

It's a lazy comment. Dre isn't on the court for his offense.

29. Buffnik

Not really re: Rodman. He chose to focus on rebounding, defense and passing. Every once in a while, he'd decide it would be fun to drop 15 or 20 points on a team and everyone in the NBA knew he was capable of doing that whenever he felt like it. So they had to guard him.

Ruckus and Goose like this.
  30. bombay

Roberson hit a 3 (game 3) to put okc up 17-13, then they scored 4 more quick points, forcing the iguuadalas to take a TO. 21-13.

Really changed the mo.

buffgal likes this.