What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football - Looking Ahead To 2016 - No Excuses

why do we have to wait until October is over? Did you not see the Hawaii game and every PAC12 game we lost last season? What are we waiting for?
I see both sides. One side wants to hold out hope the first five performances where not indicative of the "real" Buffs, other believe we have seen what we are going to see the rest of the way. Personally, I see too many holes to believe there will be some magical, mystical improvement that puts CU on par with its peers. I would love to be wrong, but....

really struggling to find wins on our schedule? Help me out.. osu? on the road, more then likely rainy and wet, Reser stadium is a tough place to play. az? come on guys. az? jekyl-hyde - we always get the Jekyl team, Anu is a baller and that run/pass threat is killing our D. Like I said help me out, what am I missing? that you guys are seeing.

What is our ceiling as a program if things were optimal? 9-3 8-4 Sometimes a 10-2 season?

I feel that some expectations exceed the reality of where we could be in the current state of CFB. I'm not sure the early 90's success is achievable again for CU.

Is it too much to expect that CU is as good as Utah in football? Sure Utah has a huge advantage with kids across the nation growing up saying I want to play at Utah, but just maybe if we could dedicate a few extra juice boxes and find some way to get an extra case of water delivered every month we can come close.

Reactions: dio
why do we have to wait until October is over? Did you not see the Hawaii game and every PAC12 game we lost last season? What are we waiting for?

Because it is 2015, not 2014 bGet through this season or the majority of it before we start talking about next year.

really struggling to find wins on our schedule? Help me out.. osu? on the road, more then likely rainy and wet, Reser stadium is a tough place to play. az? come on guys. az? jekyl-hyde - we always get the Jekyl team, Anu is a baller and that run/pass threat is killing our D. Like I said help me out, what am I missing? that you guys are seeing.

I don't see one except maybe WSU.....maybe? I am not seeing anything that gives me hope this year.

I know that most of us are middle-aged Buffs fans, so we have all had our dealings with premature issues, but this is a bit much.

Serious question... What kind of quality assistant coach/recruiter is going to agree to be part of this staff next season when they know going into it that MM will be coaching for his job? There will be zero assurances that they'd be around for more than one year, so what "stud recruiters" are going to agree to come here?

Leads me to my next question... Leavitt has been on record saying that the defenses he built at KSU and USF took 3-4 years to get to the level that brought those programs to respectability. I simply find it hard to believe that he took this massive rebuilding job without any sort of assurances that he and MM would be able to see this through for more than one season.

Serious question... What kind of quality assistant coach/recruiter is going to agree to be part of this staff next season when they know going into it that MM will be coaching for his job? There will be zero assurances that they'd be around for more than one year, so what "stud recruiters" are going to agree to come here?

Leads me to my next question... Leavitt has been on record saying that the defenses he built at KSU and USF took 3-4 years to get to the level that brought those programs to respectability. I simply find it hard to believe that he took this massive rebuilding job without any sort of assurances that he and MM would be able to see this through for more than one season.
Maybe the assurances were only extended to Leavitt....think about it.

You hit a good point.

M2 does the hiring but I'd expect that talking with RG is part of the process.

A guy looking for a secure place to land for a long haul isn't coming here anyways. What you can get though is a guy who has the confidence to see an opportunity to be associated with a program that can rise and carry the staff up with it. For a young position coach being on a staff that takes a team from terrible to bowl games is a great resume item when looking to move up to a coordinator job. They have to sell assistants the same thing that the assistants have to sell recruits, risk vs. reward. The opportunity to have your name on something special.

You hit a good point.

M2 does the hiring but I'd expect that talking with RG is part of the process.

A guy looking for a secure place to land for a long haul isn't coming here anyways. What you can get though is a guy who has the confidence to see an opportunity to be associated with a program that can rise and carry the staff up with it. For a young position coach being on a staff that takes a team from terrible to bowl games is a great resume item when looking to move up to a coordinator job. They have to sell assistants the same thing that the assistants have to sell recruits, risk vs. reward. The opportunity to have your name on something special.
The hires of JL and Tumpkin were big time hires for this program and, IMO, anyone who believes they were brought here under the pretenses that the team had to win "X amount of games in 2015" or their jobs would be on the line, is naive. I also don't believe there were any "side conversations" between RG and JL. Rick George is too much of a professional for that sort of crap to be going on.

I stated this a while back and I still believe it... I think the clock started ticking on MM this year. I think Rick George understands that this program cannot continue to be a revolving door at Head Coach. It makes our leadership look ignorant of the overall problem.

This is thinking that keeps you consistently losing. If you are a good head coach, have a plan, and have the faith you can win, then it shouldn't be an issue finding a qualified coach that is also a hell of a recruiter. Sorry, I just don't buy the narrative one bit.

I stated this a while back and I still believe it... I think the clock started ticking on MM this year. I think Rick George understands that this program cannot continue to be a revolving door at Head Coach. It makes our leadership look ignorant of the overall problem.

Well it can continue if we keep hiring coaches that can't get the job done. Some coaches just aren't good enough, even if they're good guys like MM. Holding onto coaches just because we've fired too many of them in quick secession recently isn't a good reason. What's worse, firing a coach, or keeping a coach too long that's not getting the job done?

You said it yourself, who's he going to find in year 3 to fix his staff after not making a bowl game, again. MM had a window, and he has to make some noise this year. If not, who's going to jump onto this ship? That'll include recruits too.

I think MM has shown that you can manage attrition well. He's just effed up the whole recruiting and staff part. One of these times we'll find the guy that can manage the attrition and hire a competent staff from the get-go.

My thoughts are that the clock is ticking on MM, but he will get next season. After next season all bets are off. You can not keep a coach 4 years into the process if he only has 1/3 conference wins a year especially losing those out of conference games. There has to be some kind of progress showed somewhere for 4 mill. a year.

Just like some will accept them next year.
I'm curious as to what this "No excuses" really means... If they keep making them, are you going to stop being a fan? If they win 1 P12 game this year and keep MM, will you stop going to games? If they fire MM and hire a coach that doesn't go to a bowl game in year one, what then? What's the end game for the no excuses crowd?

You know what? I don't have to justify a damn thing to anybody. I am an alumnus, a CO resident and taxpayer. I can be a fan on my own terms and I can decide if I want to go to a game, buy gear or say what I damn well please all by myself. I am not the one starting the no excuses BS. If you field athletic teams the goal is to win. When you suck ass year after year you should expect the natives to get restless.

Like it or not, college athletics have become a product. They charge out the wazoo for that product and the one they are peddling is below par. They should hear about it.

Last edited:
If you field athletic teams the goal is to win.

Sadly, that should be a true statement, but it is often not true. Case in point, CU football since 2003, from the very top on down. There are finally signs from the CU administration that maybe, just maybe, they are interested in winning. Hiring Rick George was a great start and now that he has his building built lets see what they let him do to actually build a winner.

I'm curious as to what this "No excuses" really means... If they keep making them, are you going to stop being a fan? If they win 1 P12 game this year and keep MM, will you stop going to games? If they fire MM and hire a coach that doesn't go to a bowl game in year one, what then? What's the end game for the no excuses crowd?

You have a weird habit of attributing the most outlandish statements possible with those you disagree with on issues. You are talking to a bunch of fans who have stood by a team through many BAD years. The end game for the "no excuses" crowd is to actually win football games sometime this decade.

You know what? I don't have to justify a damn thing to anybody. I am an alumnus, a CO resident and taxpayer. I can be a fan on my own terms and I can decide if I want to go to a game, buy gear or say what I damn well please all by myself. I am not the one starting the no excuses BS. If you field athletic teams the goal is to win. When you suck ass year after year you should expect the natives to get restless.

Like it or not, college athletics have become a product. They charge out the wazoo for that product and the one they are peddling is below par. They should hear about it.
That's a poor excuse.

As I read your post, which was extremely well stated, I summed up your message a bit more simply....

stfu2.gif

Back