What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football players earning degrees in December 2012

Ok. I did stretch that. But why would they be worthless majors?
Listen, a CU diploma is awesome. That's a great thing to have, but I think it goes without saying that someting like "ethnic studies" is almost without value in the real world.

I know people who have been successful with all manner of degrees, and I know people who have failed with all manner of degrees.

You think that a degree in ethnic studies carries weight in the world outside the bizzaro land of academia? Really?

Sure. First of all, the 'bizzarro world of academia' is still the real world. Also, I don't know much about ethnic studies, but I imagine it would be applicable in fields like foreign service, teaching, law, social work, etc....

My gf with her sociology degree from Regis I'm sure makes more than most people on this site.

I have a sociology degree and I'm dong just fine in the corporate world.

:nod: I think a lot of employers just want to see that you can stick with something. A bachelor degree is somewhat proof that you are willing to do some work. Now there are specialty jobs where you have to have a degree in that field but that isn't most jobs.

Sure. First of all, the 'bizzarro world of academia' is still the real world. Also, I don't know much about ethnic studies, but I imagine it would be applicable in fields like foreign service, teaching, law, social work, etc....

I think you are imagining wrong.

I have a history degree from CU and a finance degree from UMd. The history degree was more rigorous than the finance program imo. However, the finance degree opened up the job market for me. I think marketing an ethnic studies or sociology degree for that first job is more challenging, particularly as more employers fail to understand the well rounded education that a liberal arts degree provides. However, the degree is far from worthless and employers are usually pleasantly surprised when liberal arts graduates are given a chance.

Back