What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

FootballCoachScoop.com: Bohn is very interested in OU's DC Brent Venables

CU was, until recently, a perennial top 30 team. Not many of those kinds of schools are going to be looking for a new coach. The ones that are will do so because their coach left for the NFL or retired and there's a replacement already lined up. In other words, he's not going to FSU or Texas.

The $1.5MM isn't a big deal to me. That's middle of the road for Big 12 coaches. We should be able to do that.

It is not jsut 1.5m to Charlie, its what ever is left to Barney and 3 years of 1mill to hawk

It is not jsut 1.5m to Charlie, its what ever is left to Barney and 3 years of 1mill to hawk

Barney has already been paid. I don't know where that keeps coming from. Dude was fired four years ago and was paid his buyout at the time.

Barney has already been paid. I don't know where that keeps coming from. Dude was fired four years ago and was paid his buyout at the time.

Maybe people are thinking of the repayment of the loan from the university. That's still got some juice on it.

Do NOT hire a defensive coordinator who really is the "assistant DC". Stoops is the man on defense at Oklahoma. Peterson was the offensive genius at Boise.

BV should not be a candidate - period.

Not only is he no Mike Stoops, but Mike Stoops wasn't Mike Stoops. He was Bob Stoop's Go-Fer, just like Brent is.

Plus, Hawk is staying.

:rolleyes:

Where do I begin? You really think the stoops has assembled such a group of hacks that can only bring him a latte while he coaches all position and game plans??? :rofl2:

Im not trying to diss you bro but to suggest that all the assistants, particularly the DC, at the best school year over year in the conference is just a bit over the top. These guys can all coach and they can coach well. Can they be successful as HC at CU (Im thinking about the admissions challenges)? Thats another story.

Last edited:

I thought it was prorated like Shanny's that if he took another gig the buyout ended. To the other posters point the buyout probably was borrowed from the General Fund just like the Taj Mahal expansion. That money still has to be paid back.

I'd rather have UT's DC, but he is their de-facto 'coach in waiting'

I'd rather have UT's DC, but he is their de-facto 'coach in waiting'

Does Mack have a timetable for retirement? I think that "coach in waiting" title only served to get Muschamp a fat raise and stave off other teams for a year or two.

Not saying he would come here necessarily (he probably makes more as the Texas DC), but Mack could be there a while and if the right job came along, I think he would leave.

Very different from the Jimbo Fisher situation IMO.

I thought I heard in passing (completely unreliable) that Mack was just a couple of years away...

I don't know a lot about BV, but it seems like his name has floated around for a few years but he never gets a HC job? Why not?

I don't know a lot about BV, but it seems like his name has floated around for a few years but he never gets a HC job? Why not?

His name has floated around but I don't know that he's ever been officially interiewed for any jobs.

I think he is holding out for a BCS type job, so he isn't going to take the Chuck Long take-the-first-job approach.

Strong isn't coming here. Richt is on the hotseat. The UGA job would be right in his wheelhouse. If Richt stays at UGA, there's a chance Les Miles could bolt for the NFL. If that happens, LSU might snap him up. He's also been rumored to have some interest in a couple ACC programs that are considering changes.

Venables isn't the most inspiring name I've heard, but I'd take him over Hawk in a NY minute.

Strong isn't coming here. Richt is on the hotseat. The UGA job would be right in his wheelhouse. If Richt stays at UGA, there's a chance Les Miles could bolt for the NFL. If that happens, LSU might snap him up. He's also been rumored to have some interest in a couple ACC programs that are considering changes.

Venables isn't the most inspiring name I've heard, but I'd take him over Hawk in a NY minute.

There's no way Georgia's getting rid of Richt, they'd be awfully stupid to. I'd take Richt as a coach anyday he is atleast in the TOP 20 when it comes to coaching and recruiting.

If UGA fires Richt, we need to be on the phone with his agent about a microsecond after the news conference.

Check that, we need to be announcing his hiring here simultaneously with the announcement that he's been fired in Georgia.

I can't believe they'd be stupid enough to fire Richt at UGA. Sure, they're not having the greatest year this year, but jeez folks, the guy is proven.

They're not firing Richt, it's a down year for UGA. He lost some really good football players to the NFL and one plays in Denver. If UGA fires Richt for having one losing season, someones gotta hand Bohn an Award for keeping Hawkins this long.

If UGA fires Richt, we need to be on the phone with his agent about a microsecond after the news conference.

Check that, we need to be announcing his hiring here simultaneously with the announcement that he's been fired in Georgia.

I can't believe they'd be stupid enough to fire Richt at UGA. Sure, they're not having the greatest year this year, but jeez folks, the guy is proven.

Agreed. The natives are restless. The see Miles, Saban and Meyer and are reminded that He's never turned in an undefeated season and shanked the mNC opportunity a few times. Great coach, great recruiter.

the OU tree is kind of hit or miss. for every Mangino or Leach (really, Snyder and Hal Mumme respectively imo) there's the Chuck Long era at SDSU.

that said, i think Venables is OK.

I'm gonna assume that was intentional.

:rolleyes:

Where do I begin? You really think the stoops has assembled such a group of hacks that can only bring him a latte while he coaches all position and game plans??? :rofl2:

Im not trying to diss you bro but to suggest that all the assistants, particularly the DC, at the best school year over year in the conference is just a bit over the top. These guys can all coach and they can coach well. Can they be successful as HC at CU (Im thinking about the admissions challenges)? Thats another story.

I can certainly agree with that, but I have to side with buffaholic a little. Venables definitely isn't a joke and I wouldn't see it as the end of the world if he came here, but I do wish he was solely responsible for the defense at OU. I'd prefer we chase down Charlie Strong if we go the defensive coordinator route. Or even Al Golden who a few have mentioned before. Defensive Coordinator at Virginia, now Head Coach at Temple now who is 7-2 or something this season, at Temple!! Bud Foster is another guy I'd rather go after than Venables. It is hard to ignore the Texas recruiting ties Venables has, it sure would be nice to be able to snatch 5-10 Texas kids every year.

Not saying that it would be smart or even fair of them to fire Richt. Fact is, UGA fans have pretty high expectations, and their program has the $$$ to go after anyone they want. His teams are amazingly consistent, but he hasn't done better than a 6-2 conference record since '02.

Think you are overestimating the chances that he stays in the south. He has stated publicly that he believes his race has held him back from being offered a head coaching position. On top of that his wife is white which, fair or not, probably does not go over well with some boosters down there. No SEC program had ever hired a black head coach before 2004 and there had never even been a black coordinator before ten years ago. It's too bad but if he were white he would have been hired as a head coach after Florida's title in 2006, and if not at that time then definitely after last year's MNC. I hope Bohn is on the phone with him.

Think you are overestimating the chances that he stays in the south. He has stated publicly that he believes his race has held him back from being offered a head coaching position. On top of that his wife is white which, fair or not, probably does not go over well with some boosters down there. No SEC program had ever hired a black head coach before 2004 and there had never even been a black coordinator before ten years ago. It's too bad but if he were white he would have been hired as a head coach after Florida's title in 2006, and if not at that time then definitely after last year's MNC. I hope Bohn is on the phone with him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him here myself, but it's not happening. The reason is fairly simple. He likes warm weather. If he left SEC country, it would be for somewhere in California, or maybe the Big XII South. From your comments about race relations in the South, one might assume you haven't spent time in places like Atlanta in the past 15 years. It's not 1963 anymore.

O.K. maybe, (and it's still a big MAYBE) if we offered him Shanny/Gruden type money ($2-$4MM/yr) he might come. But if we're going to pay someone that kind of money, why not go after Shanny or Gruden?

I wouldn't mind seeing him here myself, but it's not happening. The reason is fairly simple. He likes warm weather. If he left SEC country, it would be for somewhere in California, or maybe the Big XII South.

I've never heard anything to the effect that Strong would only coach in warm weather. He grew up in the Ozarks and has coached in Illinois and Indiana. Don't know if he would come to the Buffs, but I don't think the weather would play into it.

Regarding racism, it's Charlie Strong who has publicly stated that he thinks race played a part in not getting a head coaching job yet. It's not conjecture.

His defenses are always solid. He coaches with tremendous passion, but doesn't go over the top. He has a TON of recruiting ties in Texas.
I really can't imagine any of the good, young assistants at big time programs doing any worse than Hawkins. He could end up with 2 road victories in 4 years. How far down can you go from that? 1, or 0:lol:

Back