What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Footballcoachscoop.com

You're nuts. He can recruit any player he wants to OU with virtually no admission requirements. He makes gobs of money and has a chance to play for a MNC every year. None of that exists at ND, except for the money part. But this idea that ND is some kind of plum job is pure fantasy. There's a reason Urban Meyer turned them down. South Bend is the place where coaches go to die (or get filthy stinking rich).

I didn't say it was a better job.. But to think that UF or OU are bigger jobs than ND is nuts.. ND has a national following unmatched by any program in this country.. It doesn't even need a conference.. It has its own national TV contract.. It makes news when it wins or losses a game.

OU and UF are regional schools.. Notre Dame could play a neutral site game anyway and sell it out regardless of record..

Are there difficulties with the ND job? Yes, I won't dispute that.. But is it a more high profile job than OU or UF? Absolutely..

I don't know if Mike Sherman has been mentioned as a former NFL guy who fell flat on his face at the college level. For every Pete Carroll, there's a Mike Sherman, Chuck Fairbanks, and a Callahan.

And yes, we hired Chuck Fairbanks away from the New England Patriots.

I think Sherman still has time. His recruiting classes have been pretty decent and his team is better this year than it was the previous year. This is only his 2nd season correct?

That tells me everything I needed to know about footballcoachscoop.com. Worthless. Stoops would be insane to take that job. INSANE.

On the other hand, maybe it tells me everything I needed to know about Bob Stoops. :lol:

If Stoops doesn't win big next year, and I mean BIG, he's probably out at OU anyway, so why not consider making a move while his reputation is still somewhat intact.

I think Stoops might be ready for a new challenge. I am sure the ND has pretty special appeal for any kid growing up in the Midwest. I think if you have a chance at that job, you have to give it some thought at least.

I didn't say it was a better job.. But to think that UF or OU are bigger jobs than ND is nuts.. ND has a national following unmatched by any program in this country.. It doesn't even need a conference.. It has its own national TV contract.. It makes news when it wins or losses a game.

OU and UF are regional schools.. Notre Dame could play a neutral site game anyway and sell it out regardless of record..

Are there difficulties with the ND job? Yes, I won't dispute that.. But is it a more high profile job than OU or UF? Absolutely..

You've fallen for the ND hype. ND is just another school. Nothing more, nothing less. They would have you believe they're something special. They're not. It's just another school. Have you ever been to South Bend, IN? Not a pretty place.

He makes $7 mil a year for staying out of the NFL now. If he goes to CU he still gets the $7 mil plus whatever CU pays him.

As far as being a failure at CU, I don't think guys like Shannahan even consider failure. If he takes the job it is because he thinks he can build a winner.

He may also be ready to leave the NFL. He has been in it for close to 30 years working insane schedules and dealing with multi-million dollar prima donas. The college game would be a new challenge for him (remember he gave serious consideration to the Florida job) that would let him be the man in charge instead of some money charged owner. It would let him be the competitor that he is without working year around at the pace that the NFL requires.

As to translating to the college game, people talk about how complex and sophisticated his offense is etc. etc. Remember when he was winning big he had a huge playbook but his bread and butter was simple execution of a few basic plays. Terrel Davis must have gotten 70% of his yardage on the same trap play and draw play run exactly the same time after time to either side of the formation. Shanny can coach the fundamentals and that is what wins in the college game, and loses for guys like Hawkins.

Shannahan is all about execution. What this team sorely needs is some big hogs up front to improve blocking. It all starts up front and thats been a need for this team since DH arrived.

Why is this assumption made? The college level has all the same amount of film study and game planning that the pros do but the coaches have to recruit as well during the season and off season. What additional work are the pros doing during the off season that the college guys are not?

I've heard that NFL guys work less hours because there is no recruiting season.

During season I'd imagine they work longer hours since there are no limitations on practice time in the NFL like there are in college.

You've fallen for the ND hype. ND is just another school. Nothing more, nothing less. They would have you believe they're something special. They're not. It's just another school. Have you ever been to South Bend, IN? Not a pretty place.

I'm haven't fallen for any hype about ND. Its reality.. Its a bigger, more high profile job than OU or UF.. It just is.

Oh come on, your ND hate is getting the best of you right now. Is it the top job in the country? Probably not. Just another school? Yeah right.

That tells me everything I needed to know about footballcoachscoop.com. Worthless. Stoops would be insane to take that job. INSANE.

On the other hand, maybe it tells me everything I needed to know about Bob Stoops. :lol:

Not if they double his pay. Remember the Irish TV networks drops an ass load of money on that school which gives them the freedom to buy whatever they want. I would not be surprised to see the Irish waving $6 or $7mil a year in front of a perspective coach.

One must also consider that the natives are restless in Oklahoma. Big Game Bob has struggled since bringing home early mNC success. It's certainly a good tactic for getting yourself a nice raise.

Shannahan is all about execution. What this team sorely needs is some big hogs up front to improve blocking. It all starts up front and thats been a need for this team since DH arrived.

I've heard that NFL guys work less hours because there is no recruiting season.

During season I'd imagine they work longer hours since there are no limitations on practice time in the NFL like there are in college.

Probably a much bigger reason that NCAA is deemed "easier" is the amount of travel. NFL teams have alot of traveling during the season, playoffs, etc etc. In addition they still have to scout players at college pro days, the combine, etc. "Off-season" for guys like Shanahan is a non-factor since he spends so much time analyzing things and breaking things down. One quote that I don't know verbatim is that he said this past season of being out of football has actually given him time to "study football" for the first time in a long time. That tells you that he wasn't just sitting around watching TiVo of his past seasons once the NFL schedule was over.

Being able to remain close to home for the most part (a HC recruiting visits are limited anyway) during the off-season and with only 5-6 "away" games a season would mean alot more time with his family.

LOL... you keep believing that... still believe in the tooth fairy and the easter bunny too, dontcha.

:rofl: Bob Stoops will be at OU as long as he wants to be.

10 years:
6 Big 12 championships
1 national championship
3 BCS national championship appearances

On the field ND has been just another program for years now, however it is probably one of if not the #1 coaching job in college football.

:rofl: Bob Stoops will be at OU as long as he wants to be.

10 years:
6 Big 12 championships
1 national championship
3 BCS national championship appearances

:yeahthat:

Stoops aint going anywhere. They worship him down there.

EDIT: Stoops aint going anywhere unless he decides to leave, they aint firing him.

Oh come on, your ND hate is getting the best of you right now. Is it the top job in the country? Probably not. Just another school? Yeah right.

What makes it so special? The TV contract? They haven't won anything in 20 years. They won a bowl game against Hawaii last year which was the first bowl game since 1993 that they won. They have a TV contract and that's it. Most of the games that they get televised they end up losing. It's just another school. It's OK, but nothing all that fabulous.

On the field ND has been just another program for years now, however it is probably one of if not the #1 coaching job in college football.

Right, because they've had the pick of the litter every time they do a coaching search, right? :rolleyes:

Davie, Willingham, Weiss. That's a set of stooges if I've ever seen one. And this from the supposed best coaching job in America? I'm not buying.

What makes it so special? The TV contract? They haven't won anything in 20 years. They won a bowl game against Hawaii last year which was the first bowl game since 1993 that they won. They have a TV contract and that's it. Most of the games that they get televised they end up losing. It's just another school. It's OK, but nothing all that fabulous.

If they go 10-2 they are basically guaranteed a spot in one of the BCS games regardless if they are truly an elite team..

If OU is 10-2 and not the Big 12 champ they are guaranteed the Cotton Bowl. Big difference.

The tradition. A national following. It is not just another school and you know it. Put it this way: any follower of college football has a strong opinion on Notre Dame (either love or hate). Not too many college football programs can say the same thing.

The tradition. A national following. It is not just another school and you know it. Put it this way: any follower of college football has a strong opinion on Notre Dame (either love or hate). Not too many college football programs can say the same thing.

Totally agree, and I hate ND with a passion!

Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, Alabama, USC, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Nebraska can all say the same thing.

Just another school.

Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, Alabama, USC, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Nebraska can all say the same thing.

Just another school.

Uh... and? You just named college football royalty. You absolutely can put in Notre Dame in that company. How does this back your argument of "just another school".

Um. Im pretty sure the Irish will admit anyone they want. They have no over bearing conference leaning on them to increase admissions standards. So it might actually be easier than the minimums the Big 12 imposes on its members.

They get $9million a year minimum from NBC. They keep all of their apparel sales. They sell out every game they play. They get 100% of any bowl game revenue. Its. A. Cash. Cow.

The Big 10 has the broadest revenue sharing rules in the NCAA. They would impose revenue sharing on them and minimum entrance requirements. This is why ND will never join the Big 10 unless they lose NBC and or the NCAA takes over the post season and forces them into a conference. The Big 10 wants ND because its a cash cow thats big enough to feed the rest of the schools.

Let's not forget that bob is an Ohio native who probably grew up idolizing the Irish.

Um. Im pretty sure the Irish will admit anyone they want. They have no over bearing conference leaning on them to increase admissions standards. So it might actually be easier than the minimums the Big 12 imposes on its members.

This is incorrect. Big time incorrect.

If the stats were obtainable I'd be willing to bet their apparel sales outpace CU's on a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 basis. They win the popularity contest hands down.

They get in the top 25 for successfully taking a crap. Bowls fall all over themselves to have ND because their fans show up and spend money.

I don't like them anymore than anyone else but I'd welcome them into the Big 12 with open arms cause they'd be a big upgrade for the North.

Back