What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

For shame, for shame, for shame.

Hansen was significantly better than he was against KjSU last year where he mostly was used as a running type QB..

Hansen made plays with his arm and feet tonight. He should have been starting at the beginning of the year. End of story.

Why? Because he lit up the field last year? Was clearly better in spring and fall ball? He looked good tonight but does not equal should have been starting since game one this year?

The Buffs were great. Got a serious challenge in the 2nd half from a fine Kansas offense, lost the lead and were poised enough to come back, take the lead and win the game. I don't want to knock anyone. Loved the win. Love winning. Go Buffs!

Here is what absolutely pisses me off about this board.

We just ****ing kick ass against KU at home. A Top 15 program and we dominated them in the first half! We then go on to fall down late in the 4th and still find away to pull it together and win this game.

And yet we STILL have posters who want to slam Hawkins for this or that. Why can't people just take a step back, realize this team is getting better every week, and just played on hell of a football game.

Instead we go back and start digging after the same 'ol ****ing wounds.

The same couch many want to publicly crucify on these boards, is the same coach that put Hansen into the UT game. The same coach people were cussing because of his comments in the paper about both QB's maybe seeing PT, is the same coach who kept Hansen in the entire game. The same coach we bash time and time again, just won this game! And yet we still can't even take 5 minutes to bask in the glory of hard fought victory, that was much needed for this team.

Un****ing real.

I saw Hansen in the spring game and again in an early fall scrimmage and I was PERSONALLY disappointed that he did not appear to be the guy to take us further. He was not much different than Cody even though I wanted him to be more.

I find that hard to believe, but I'll take you word for it..

I saw Hansen in the spring game and again in an early fall scrimmage and I was PERSONALLY disappointed that he did not appear to be the guy to take us further. He was not much different than Cody even though I wanted him to be more.

He was REALLY good tonight. Different guy. Lay off the staff. This is a helluva job to get this team playing this well after playing SOOO bad in weeks 1 & 2. Husker fans are crapping their pants tonight. I know that first hand....

Amazing how players can actually improve by sitting on the sidelines and watching. Kind of funny how players can actually take big steps by getting the chance to watch other make mistakes during film study and learn from them. Hansen was much better QB today than what I saw from him last year. You are also not the first person to note that He did not look that much better than Cody during Fall training. Could it just be, I know as hard as it is to believe, that Hansen needed sometime for things to click so that he could come out and put up the great performance he did today. Could it just be, as far fetched as it is, that he has been getting better and better every week while taking reps in practice, and that by the WVU game that staff had seen that he finally took the next step and might just be ready to take over?

Nah. that would never happen.

Here is what absolutely pisses me off about this board.

We just ****ing kick ass against KU at home. A Top 15 program and we dominated them in the first half! We then go on to fall down late in the 4th and still find away to pull it together and win this game.

And yet we STILL have posters who want to slam Hawkins for this or that. Why can't people just take a step back, realize this team is getting better every week, and just played on hell of a football game.

Instead we go back and start digging after the same 'ol ****ing wounds.

The same couch many want to publicly crucify on these boards, is the same coach that put Hansen into the UT game. The same coach people were cussing because of his comments in the paper about both QB's maybe seeing PT, is the same coach who kept Hansen in the entire game. The same coach we bash time and time again, just won this game! And yet we still can't even take 5 minutes to bask in the glory of hard fought victory, that was much needed for this team.

Un****ing real.

Chilly, I was on your side for a lot of what you said for the past few weeks and you make a lot of good points but this QB situation is unforgivable. Sorry, that's how I feel and I'm not budging..

You just don't play a QB that has gotten worse since his freshman year, has limited athletic ability and a shaky arm over someone who has a skill set that Hansen does who is in his 2nd year in the program.

Amazing how players can actually improve by sitting on the sidelines and watching. Kind of funny how players can actually take big steps by getting the chance to watch other make mistakes during film study and learn from them. Hansen was much better QB today than what I saw from him last year. You are also not the first person to note that He did not look that much better than Cody during Fall training. Could it just be, I know as hard as it is to believe, that Hansen needed sometime for things to click so that he could come out and put up the great performance he did today. Could it just be, as far fetched as it is, that he has been getting better and better every week while taking reps in practice, and that by the WVU game that staff had seen that he finally took the next step and might just be ready to take over?

That's great and I see your point. Meanwhile, Cody was probably losing confidence. I guess I am not for burning D. Hawkins at the stake because Hansen did not start from day one. This team had/has plenty of problems but seems to be improving.

Chilly, I was on your side for a lot of what you said for the past few weeks and you make a lot of good points but this QB situation is unforgivable. Sorry, that's how I feel and I'm not budging..

You just don't play a QB that has gotten worse since his freshman year, has limited athletic ability and a shaky arm over someone who has some a skill set that Hansen does who is in his 2nd year in the program.

glad to know you at least didn't think I was ****ing nuts like most of the people on this board.

And I agree that Hansen looked like the real deal tonight, but to make the leap that Hawkins was putting his son above the team is an awfully wide one. I just can't get there. I can understand if people want to point fingers and say, see I told you so. that **** happens. But for the love of God can we please stop with the Hawkins played Cody just because he was his son charade. The fact that Hansen even started today and was given a chance to fight through some mistakes should be all the evidence it takes to disprove this line of thought.

Maybe the coaching staff made a mistake by not playing him sooner. I don't get into what could have beens. But that same coaching staff decide Hansen should start today. and for that I thank them.

glad to know you at least didn't think I was ****ing nuts like most of the people on this board.

And I agree that Hansen looked like the real deal tonight, but to make the leap that Hawkins was putting his son above the team is an awfully wide one. I just can't get there. I can understand if people want to point fingers and say, see I told you so. that **** happens. But for the love of God can we please stop with the Hawkins played Cody just because he was his son charade. The fact that Hansen even started today and was given a chance to fight through some mistakes should be all the evidence it takes to disprove this line of thought.

Maybe the coaching staff made a mistake by not playing him sooner. I don't get into what could have beens. But that same coaching staff decide Hansen should start today. and for that I thank them.

fwiw I disagree with you all the time and I don't think you're nuts. Here, I'll agree and disagree with you. I agree that Hawk in no way shape or form played Cody over Hansen because he is his son. I think Hawk and Kiseau genuinely thought Cody was the better QB based on his practice play.

I disagree with what you say about practice, I think Tyler just isn't a practice performer. Some players aren't good at practice, but thrive in games. I hate to be one of those that is nitpicking everything after a great win, but Hawk should know this. A good coach shouldn't base everything he does on practice.

Now you can disagree with me and say it was all Tyler on the sideline and in the meetings room, but you don't really know. Neither do I know that it was just Tyler being a gamer. Maybe it's a combination of both. Who cares.

GREAT WIN TONIGHT. The first of many for Tyler I hope.

IMO, Cody has reached his pinnacle with no way to really get better over the long haul. On the other hand, Tyler has a lot of room to keep getting better. I would expect Tyler to have some down times once in a while with Cody coming into the game to provide a different kind of spark. Unless Tyler goes into some sort of horiffic slump, he should remain the starter until he graduates or another QB (besides cody) takes the job from him.

broken_record.jpg

Nah. that would never happen.

The thing is the Hansen was not running the exact same offense as Hawkins was running. On a number of plays Hansen was running read option plays, including his rushing TD.

The coaching staff tweaked the offense to take advantage of Hansen's superior athletic ability, as well as as the offensive line (which is big and athletic but not experienced and not phenomenal man on man, by running the counter they allowed them to get a running start before their blocks and it worked well).

Obviously, CU is capable of running this type of offense, so you have to question why the didn't go with it from the beginning. Especially, since going with Hawkins and that type of offense failed.

I did see a better team last night on many fronts. Hansen is obvious. But there was also better play calling, the D kept brining it, and the stadium was rockin, and the kids on the field appeared to have the cofidence that grew as the game went on.

The improved play calling may have been due to Hansen's ability. Either way, the plays were better and the kids executed better. I liked the offensive game plan.

Hansen is a fricken baller. He is going to be a blast to watch over the next several years. Also, Clark is happy that he will not be red shirting ; )

It has been a transfromation on the D. This just is not the same team that look so out of position and slow against CSU and Toledo. Wish we could have a do over on those two : ( CSU is reeling right now and Toledo on more than 3 days could have been a different story with this D.

Not saying we win the North, although it is not that big of a stretch at this point, but we will be in most of the remianing games. KSU put up some big numbers last night so that could be a tough one in KS next week. Missouri has been exposed and is free fallin. We should beat them in Boulder. They are not as good as Kansas. ISU, always play ****ty in Ames. They have been putting up some numbers. A&M, if we do not beat them in Boulder, let's just not go there. NU, it could be for the North. We will see.

I saw enough last night to know this team can take care of business. Hansen looks like he has his teammates believing in him. He adds a dimension that other teams now need to prepare for. We will see, but the game last night gave me hope.

Obviously, CU is capable of running this type of offense, so you have to question why the didn't go with it from the beginning. Especially, since going with Hawkins and that type of offense failed.

I think that what TH showed last season and in pre-season is that he had higher potential but also higher risk.

I really think the coaches thought that the other positions (OL/running game, defense) would win games for us, and we needed a QB who could manage the game and not lose it for us. That was Cody.

Until they realized that the other units were not performing as well as we all thought they would, and we needed a QB who could win the game for us. Enter TH.

Major props to TH...kid looked night & day verse what we say last year, as he was sitting in the pocket, going through his progressions, making the great touch passes, and using his feet to buy time in order to make plays.

TH was more than impressive yesterday and he brings a million different aspects and play call abilities to the table. We're no longer 100% predictable on offense and I still can't help quesitoning how this kid last night was not the #1 choice to start the season???

fwiw I disagree with you all the time and I don't think you're nuts. Here, I'll agree and disagree with you. I agree that Hawk in no way shape or form played Cody over Hansen because he is his son. I think Hawk and Kiseau genuinely thought Cody was the better QB based on his practice play.

I disagree with what you say about practice, I think Tyler just isn't a practice performer. Some players aren't good at practice, but thrive in games. I hate to be one of those that is nitpicking everything after a great win, but Hawk should know this. A good coach shouldn't base everything he does on practice.

Now you can disagree with me and say it was all Tyler on the sideline and in the meetings room, but you don't really know. Neither do I know that it was just Tyler being a gamer. Maybe it's a combination of both. Who cares.

Absolutely agree. Neither of us really know, which is why I don't try second guessing coaches. Who really knows what they are or aren't seeing. Nothing wrong with having an intelligent debate about hypotheticals either, as long as the we all can admit, we really don't know.

Tyler threw the ball considerable better today than he did last year. It was nice seeing him make the next step. He is going to be fun to watch for the next few years.

No doubt. He really was looking to pass first, and only ran when nothing was there. Quite a big difference from last year, for sure.

How can you say Tyler is not a good practice player. It was his play on the scout team that allowed him to be put ahead of Ballenger and Nelson last year.

It looks like Hansen will be the QB here on out.

I wonder if that would be the case had Hansen been the starting QB at the beginning of the season?

Could Hansen have turned the lopsided CSU and Toledo games around? I doubt it. The defense and the OL and the WRs and bad coaching all played a part in those first two defeats. Cody was not the single problem. As is the case with any hypothetical, we will never know.

Hansen might have been able to tip the WV game the other direction, but I doubt he would have changed the outcome of the UT game. UT was asleep, got frustrated, some talented players woke up to make some plays and put that one away.

But if Hansen had been #1 from day one with a 1-4 or 2-3 record going into KU, it's completely possible the CU staff would have chosen to start the back-up for KU. So instead of watching Hansen's coming out party last night, we might be talking about the re-emergence of Cody instead.

Fortune is a funny thing. The table was set for Hansen to come in against Kansas and change things for the better. Opportunity knocked and TH did his part to dislodge Cody for Kjuco and possibly the remainder of the season.

I'm not convinced things wouldn't be reversed had TH been the number one coming out of fall camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see the rest of the year before making any positive/negative judgment...

How can you say Tyler is not a good practice player. It was his play on the scout team that allowed him to be put ahead of Ballenger and Nelson last year.

I guess I don't. Maybe Cody is just an incredible practice player. All I know is, if Tyler plays like that in practice, and we still went with Cody, then something is wrong. I don't think that was the case and that is why I said what I did.

Absolutely agree. Neither of us really know, which is why I don't try second guessing coaches. Who really knows what they are or aren't seeing. Nothing wrong with having an intelligent debate about hypotheticals either, as long as the we all can admit, we really don't know.

Agreed. Glad to know that's how you look at it. I try to say things like "I think" or "imo" a lot because, I don't really know. Most of us don't. That's why I find these boards so awesome. There are a ton of intelligent people on here that just want to talk about CU football. I mean I can sit here and act like a prophet for saying we should put Hansen in, but jesus I didn't have a clue how he would play. At the end of the day, even if I'm as wrong as can be, as long as CU wins I'm happy.

Why? Because he lit up the field last year? Was clearly better in spring and fall ball? He looked good tonight but does not equal should have been starting since game one this year?

I haven't read past this post, so it may have been addressed already, but the reason you play Hansen instead of Cody is because he can make more plays. Regardless of how he did in practice, only a complete fool would look at Hansen and Cody and say they both have the ability to make the same plays. Cody can hit that five yard curl route all day long, but it doesn't take a defensive genius to figure out that he can't do much more.

Kind of a rehash of something I said in another thread, but it was obvious after the KU game last year there was a severe deficiency at QB. TH, while raw and inexperienced, had the tools to throw something ther than a three yard curl and a five yard out. He can run too. Why the staff didn't make the change then and get TH game reps and practice reps as the guy, especially after burning his RS, is a major failure IMO. TH would be sharper now if that had been done. I seriously doubt he improved by leaps and bounds over the past few weeks. He had an arm and feet to run the day he hit campus. This staff decided a QB with less of an arm and no feet to run was the way to go.

My personal opinion is the staff, or at least those who have decisions making power, preferred to go with the incumbent, maybe they thought that was the best, but I stopped believeing that one year ago. So did most everybody else who follows the team, but isn't a fan. My neighbor is a MU fan who just shakes his head at CH with an amused grin on his face. I would too if I were him.

Last edited:
Kind of a rehash of something I said in another thread, but it was obvious after the KU game last year there was a severe deficiency at QB. TH, while raw and inexperienced, had the tools to throw something ther than a three yard curl and a five yard out. He can run too. Why the staff didn't make the change then and get TH game reps and practice reps as the guy, especially after burning his RS, is a major failure IMO. TH would be sharper now if that had been done. I seriously doubt he improved by leaps and bounds over the past few weeks. He had an arm and feet to run the day he hit campus. This staff decided a QB with less of an arm and no feet to run was the way to go.

My personal opinion is the staff, or at least those who have decisions making power, preferred to go with the incumbent, maybe they thought that was the best, but I stopped believeing that one year ago. So did most everybody else who follows the team, but isn't a fan. My neighbor is a MU fan who just shakes his head at CH with an amused grin on his face. I would too if I were him.

Lefty, I totally agree with you... I have been saying for the last season and a half that CH is easy to game plan against because of his physical limitations. Opposing defenses basically neutered our offense because they knew they could easily neutralize the QB position. I don't care how he looks in practice - the coaches should gameplan against their own team and they would realize the problem.

I don't know if TH is the answer but his abilities make defenses play a little more honest against CU which opens up more possibilities. The way this whole thing has been handled is a travesty.

1 game. do it again on the road when they have film to watch and then I will believe. But oh god, I really realy reallllly want to believe.

I said it before the season started, and I still believe it:

Cody may (and this is a big may), may make less mistakes, but Tyler provides the team more opportunity to win.

Back